advertisement

Naim Nait 50

I’m sure they’ll shift them, and I bet it will be a really nice amp, as was the original. The thing that amuses me is how conceptually identical it is to a Rega Io in everything bar price-tag!

£2,700 for a integrated amp sonically in Rega Io/Brio-R territory, cost four+ times as much.
Naturally it appeals to my sentimental retro side,
but more in the line of "What do you get the person who has everything?" I think.

It’s roughly the same price as a Nait XS3. Is it essentially a re-cased XS3, or same circuit as the original Nait 1, or something completely new?

It does look good but I doubt it will hold its value especially well. It's like a vintage Stratocaster vs a reissue.

My MiniMoog reissue has doubled its value since I bought it. And you can still get the originals for a tad more or a Behringer copy for £400.

This has been happening for years in the synthesiser world and the 'high end' kosher remakes are holding or exceeding their purchase prices.

Stephen

It has a headphone socket which is a nice touch. Always preferred Olive to the original styling though, and I still own a Nait 2, which does everything the new amp does, albeit with a bit less power and no headphone socket!

The internal shots at the green forum show it's got a lot more in common with modern Naim products than the original Nait.

All SMT, no direct switching etc. Shame they couldn't incorporate RC though. It's got that headphone socket so I wonder how it might compare with expensive headamps.

Last edited:
Pretty nice but you could get a mint original red led version and have it re built for alot less, I have a feeling it will end up like the turntable they (had built)

I think it is brilliant! Can't imagine the boardroom meetings about bringing this design back but glad the purists stayed the course and left well enough alone. The light I'd change as noted by others but the headphone input will make it highly marketable to the 30 somethings. Have you seen the prices headphone amplifiers typically demand? And sorry the Nait 1 is the original and the aesthetics work even better today. I can't afford one but am happy for those that can and sign-on.

It does look nice, but other than, "I don't need a modest powered integrated amp" I can't help but think its a bit pricy for a small amp in a vintage frock.

Unlike their recent turntable effort, I think this will sell well.

I wonder if any the Naim experts here might also care to compare the economies of scale of the Rega IO compared to the Nait 50 at 1973 units.

advertisement

Back