advertisement

My new car (Warning: Porsche content)

Never driven a porsche, or been close to it, but the cayman is one of my al time fave car designs. It just works perfectly. Hang on to it...when you're my age it'll be worth 5 years in a retirement home :)

lovely looking machine. i saw very similar, if not same, in nottingham at the w/end and very nearly wheeled about and onto the forecourt. but that would be only to admire, not to purchase. congrats :)

My brother in law has taken pity on me after being 911-less for a year. I'm his +1 for the track day at Brands at the end of August in his '13 Cayman S. It's a PCGB event on the Indy circuit, and the following day it's the main Porsche Festival. Something to look forward to!

I have enjoyed driving every Porsche I have owned. I miss aspects of my previous Boxster S. But having had the Macan Turbo (I suspect even less environmentally friendly) for a year, I am not sure I'd go back to a Boxster/Cayman

The Macan seems to be top of all the SUVs for driver enjoyment and involvement so if you need four seats, mild off road capability and like a decent car it's a no brainer!

Loved driving the Cayman, the balance is amazing flat out (on track of course).

Many perceive Porsche as being an expensive brand but i'm finding lifetime costs very competitive as long as you do all the servicing.

The Macan is a lovely car. If I had any complaints, it would be that rear leg-room is a bit tight. This could have been alleviated by having adjustable rear seats, which would mean you could choose to have more rear legroom at the expense of boot space.

lovely looking machine. i saw very similar, if not same, in nottingham at the w/end and very nearly wheeled about and onto the forecourt. but that would be only to admire, not to purchase. congrats :)

Be careful with such behaviour. A friend of mine was dragged out to a Porsche dealership by a colleague, just collecting one from service. The salesman played a blinder. “Have you ever been in one of these then? Got a nice one here, want to take it for a drive?” 5 minutes later she was scooting up the road saying “this is nice” and an hour later she was signing up to a lightly used Boxster. She kept it for about 5 years and had a very good time. Traded it in against a VW Polo, the performance car itch duly scratched.

I'm considering a midlife crisis car, to replace my wife's current SLK (she's a couple of years older than me so hit midlife crisis first!). If I was looking for something up to say £30K is the Cayman the obvious option or should I also consider an older 911?

I'd have a go in both to see how much room you need and think about how far you'll drive.

You're in 05 / 06 3.8 litre 997 territory; a larger car but still sporty.

OTOH the Cayman would be 5(?) years younger.

Thanks for that. Just had a look on autotrader and there seem to be plenty of 2007 911's in that price range locally, even a couple of 2008 ones. Just looking at Cayman-S models there seem to be loads that are 2011 including some with pretty low mileages (sub 30K). I think your right in that I need to try both - it's a long time since I've driven a 911 and I've never driven a Cayman. Practicality isn't an issue because either is probably more practical than the SLK it'd be replacing (in terms of space anyway) and it'd just be a high days and holidays plaything as we've other cars. We're in the process of changing our London place and the new one will have somewhere to keep it undercover. Although that also means I might just bring one of my motorbikes down and get my speed fix that way!

I was in a friend’s new i3 today- felt very nippy and solid. Very skinny tyres I noticed!

I think 100% of the i3s sold in the USA have been recalled and taken off the road for some crash safety issue. It is unclear at present whether these cars will ever be returned to their owners.

I trust you speaking from first hand experience. I wouldn't be seen dead buying curtains from JL. Ours are bespoke and are delivered.

I have bespoke shutters and they're delivered on a hoovercraft of my own design.

FICB6GYF0R12VBI.MEDIUM.jpg

Joe

I'm considering a midlife crisis car, to replace my wife's current SLK (she's a couple of years older than me so hit midlife crisis first!). If I was looking for something up to say £30K is the Cayman the obvious option or should I also consider an older 911?

As others have said, try them.

Ever since I had a poster of a Martini-striped 911 Turbo on my wall in the mid-70s I’d wanted a 911. But, since they went water-cooled and a bit bloaty I became less enamoured.

When the Cayman came along, in my books, it was the spiritual successor to the original 911 concept (albeit with only two seats because the engine is in the right place). I was tempted by a Boxster, but so glad I went for this Gen2 Cayman S.

However, you may feel/find differently, so have fun finding out, and let us know how you get on.

I'm considering a midlife crisis car, to replace my wife's current SLK (she's a couple of years older than me so hit midlife crisis first!).

Thing is, you never can tell how long you're going to live, so it makes sense to get your mid-life crisis/crises in early. I had my first at 19 and one roughly every 3-4 years since - just to be on the safe side.

(albeit with only two seats because the engine is in the right place).

Does anyone ever actually attempt to put humans in the rear seat of a 911?

Wouldn't that be a human rights violation in most civilized countries?

advertisement

Back