advertisement

My new car (Warning: Porsche content)

V8s do have their charms for sure; but I love a wailing, free-revving straight-6; it's the smoother delivery by far, and fortunately I have one.

I also have a delight of a tiny 4-pot in my little Fury; a lightly-breathed-on Yamaha R1, with the 5-valve/cyl head. It's a positively-vocal barometer of driver demand in the way it sounds, and responds, esp in the range 8-12Krpm.

Car-oriented 4pots though are generally pretty horrid in comparison, but that's basic physics in terms of unavoidable secondary imbalance and rocking couples that gets worse with displacement. There is a special place in my heart for a wrung-out Ford BDA or a screaming (Coventry) Climax though.

Car-oriented 4pots though are generally pretty horrid in comparison, but that's basic physics in terms of unavoidable secondary imbalance and rocking couples that gets worse with displacement. There is a special place in my heart for a wrung-out Ford BDA or a screaming (Coventry) Climax though.

Maybe add a Swindon Vauxhall 2.0xe, an 1800 all steel x/flow screamer or a Howley 1340 A series to the list :D

I'm now hearing the 1.6 Ecoboost is capable of close to 500 bhp and sounds a bit special too. How things have moved on. I need to try one of these.

Oh I'd allow those :D Actually the A series has a unique twang thanks to the siamesed ports - fabulous when on song to my ears, in most states of tune. The sound of a 'fast' Mini, accept no substitutes there.

500hp from 1.5l ish has long been available to those who want to spend the money. Not sure I'd start from an Ecobang. It's easily and reliably on tap from even smaller Suzuki 'Busa-based lumps for wellover a decade now, and far more (700hp+ 1.4l lumps, not exceptional... ) - but all such things are a v long way from daily-drive material!

How fast do you want to go vs. how much do you want to spend..?

I'm now hearing the 1.6 Ecoboost is capable of close to 500 bhp and sounds a bit special too. How things have moved on. I need to try one of these.

Not bad going - they've squeezed 600HP out of the 2.3 Ecoboost in a Mustang.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Torque' is for people who don't understand what gearbox does/can do ;)

That said, big flat/fat delivery curves are easier to drive most of the time, esp lazily, than 'peaky' power delivery; chacun à son goût.

'Torque' is for people who don't understand what gearbox does/can do ;)

That said, big flat/fat delivery curves are easier to drive most of the time, esp lazily, than 'peaky' power delivery; chacun à son goût.

I do like an engine that can rev high, a lot of fun when you get the opportunity to open the taps!

To be honest v8 is where it's at in my opinion - cross or flat plane crank. I think given various factors, most cylinder configurations can sound good. The new 3 cyclinder Fiesta ST should be interesting.

indeed there was nothing quite like the sound of my 5l V8 AMG Merc.....

Good man!!:D

A mate is developing a rather trick ecoboost at present for his 7. I'm intrigued by the build. It is the gain in torque that separates it from the Busa and other big bhp BEC's I'm lead to believe.

What's he going to do to it? with the Mountune chip/air kit in my little Fiesta its 212 bhp and 236 ft lb. Should be pretty good in a 7, thats a fair wedge of torque at 2800 rpm for a little petrol.

A year on, and I have never loved a car this much.

Having earlier today been judgmental regarding Bitcoins, I accept that driving this thing is unforgivable.

But every day that I do (not every day, I cycle or train other days) I get out and just smile.

This morning, for no particularly good reason, I took this pic of her after I parked up.

24992307847_2a79c9fa6b_c.jpg

A proper car - one that makes you turn round for the odd look back, or makes you happy to stand and listen to it ticking and pinging softly for a few minutes after a decent run. No explanation or excuses necessary :)

I still miss my Cayman. It does what it sets out to do incredibly well. In some "pure" respects, I think the Cayman is even better than the current 911, as arguably the newest 911's are a tad too big & don't feel properly alive until you reach naughty speeds.
Why is driving yours "unforgivable? Please bear in mind that I'm quite happy in my dinosaur status!

I have enjoyed driving every Porsche I have owned. I miss aspects of my previous Boxster S. But having had the Macan Turbo (I suspect even less environmentally friendly) for a year, I am not sure I'd go back to a Boxster/Cayman

Nice one, Whileblue! My 987 Boxster is currently resting out the Swedish winter. There will be a spring soon...

On the subject of four bangers or not. In 1979 a 911 SC and a 924 turbo had nearly the same price. Guess which one is a collectible today?

Nice to see a car thread revived. Mine are under their covers with umbilicals connected sadly until this filth and salt goes!

advertisement

Back