advertisement

My new car (Warning: Porsche content)

Whaleblue

Southbound
After much soul searching, and many, many, hours research I changed my mind about what to go for. For personal reasons (nothing bad - just something came up that meant some budget was required elsewhere), it also became necessary to review my aspirations. We could still have afforded the new 718 but decided against. It's not a venture to go into feeling stretched.

Which meant considering where the best value lay for what we wanted. It turned out that a late 987 Gen II would be the place to look. In an odd turn of events I fell in love with a Cayman I spotted while surfing the various boards/forums/ads sites.

Here it is - picking up tomorrow, and I'm school-boyishly excited.

31951688443_753545b69d_c.jpg

I look forward to driving it at 30mph in town and confusing the hell out of everyone!

It looks lovely. One of the best looking Porsche's at the moment and they drive quite well apparently.

Nice one, super looking car. I really like the look of the Cayman and having driven my friends car know they are lovely things.

I was hoping to switch you to Lotus but never mind, I am not yet feeling left out here, the Porker owners still speak to me :D

They're a lovely drive, most importantly, and are like a snort of something illegal when the fancy takes you. Good looking too is a heck of a bonus!

Spec please :)

Somebdody will be along to rain on your parade! Lovely, hope you get loads of pleasure from that. Bet you can't keep it that shiny!

Bet you can't keep it that shiny!

The best tip I was given for the 911 was get an indie valeter to treat the paintwork with a nano coating. Washing those curves was a real pleasure after, and rain just fell off it without leaving any residue. Lasted two years at least.

Thanks for the positive comments, appreciated.

Spec please :)

About perfect.

Cayman S
PDK
19" Turbo 2 wheels
Sport Chrono
Leather Sport Seats Plus (the ones with better shoulder support)
Proper flappy paddle steering wheel (I think that's the official name)
SatNav
Climate A/C
Rear Parking Sensors (for the missus you understand)
Bose Surround Sound

Thanks for the positive comments, appreciated.

About perfect.

Cayman S
PDK
19" Turbo 2 wheels
Sport Chrono
Leather Sport Seats Plus (the ones with better shoulder support)
Proper flappy paddle steering wheel (I think that's the official name)
SatNav
Climate A/C
Rear Parking Sensors (for the missus you understand)
Bose Surround Sound

Very similar to my departed 997's spec. Should be great.
Tempted to get the dealer to fit a Sports Exhaust?

Well, I told you so :)

I look forward to hearing all about it as doing exactly that is always in the back of my mind.

I've had my 2010 CaymanS for 3 years now.
PDK/Bose/sports steering wheel & paddles etc etc.
I really do think it's the best car I've ever had. And I've owned 2 911's!! Heresy, I know.
But the CaymanS is what the 911 used to be before it got a bit too big. It's just such a good car in every sports car respect. In Sports mode it's scary quick. I think if sports mode is engaged, it should automatically turn the stereo system off, just so the driver can fully concentrate.
In Sports+ mode, it's an even sharper & precise drive.
But in standard mode, whilst still being very rapid, it's such an easy car to drive. 30 mpg is easy except in urban traffic, steering precise, suspension firm without being denture loosening.
2 reasonable sized boots, tax & servicing reasonable at indies, reliable, good looking......the list just goes on.
Enjoy!

But it's not whale blue in colour :( I was looking forward to seeing more of that colour!!

Lovely Cayman though, i need to drive one of those, never have..

In other Porsche news, visited my '73 in the bodyshop today, he's having the whole front end revamped. New paint, new chrome, all Matt black panels repainted too.. sills, valances, roof. This is my sort of whale blue beastie... it's got Cayman in its blood..

advertisement

Back