advertisement

My new car (Warning: Porsche content)

I've not driven either but from what a mechanic mate of mine who has said the Cayman took the major 911 flaw, engine too far back behind the rear axle, and created the car the 911 should have been with the mid-engine layout.

There is not, and never has been, a "major 911 flaw". I suggest you employ a mechanic who knows what he/she is talking about.

I also wonder whether the last of the 6 cylinder Porsche engines will end up holding their value very firmly compared to the new 4 cylinder range somewhat like the air cooled 993/964 models have done compared to 996's?

I suspect that the resale value of 6 cylinder cars will exceed the price of 4 cylinder cars.

I suspect that the resale value of 6 cylinder cars will exceed the price of 4 cylinder cars.

I'm going to go all "converted" now, but having just driven home, a little over 100 miles, I'm stunned by the feel of this thing. The steering is sublime, and definitely a smidge better then the 981/718s I test drove.

Perhaps I got lucky in having to switch to this older car. Whatever, I hope to keep it forever, and with the coming of auto-drive cars, before we know it none of these machines will be allowed on the roads anyway.

Have you considered some time at the Porsche Experience at Silverstone? They'll tailor the time to suit your needs, and whatever your level of expertise, it'll be well worth the expense.

Have you considered some time at the Porsche Experience at Silverstone? They'll tailor the time to suit your needs, and whatever your level of expertise, it'll be well worth the expense.

Driving my own car? It would be great to thrash one of theirs, but I suppose they'll only have 718s there now?

lol - Kenny! Boys and decisions about toys hey? Wife doesn't care what I get, she has her MR2 and I have many brownie points. I though I needed a 2+2 but in reality got lumbered with the kids as a result - that didn't work! So have money burning a hole in my bank acc but not 100% sure what I want. Need to drive a few...

If you need a rear seat for kids then an M2. Obvious. :)

Whatever, I hope to keep it forever, and with the coming of auto-drive cars, before we know it none of these machines will be allowed on the roads anyway.

Probably a good 20 years away and even if so they're much more fun to drive on a track!

Probably a good 20 years away and even if so they're much more fun to drive on a track!

Yes, I suspect they'll be on the roads in 5 or so years, but 20 before the ban seems about right. Then, as you suggest, it'll be track days only.

Wonder if there'll be an over 70s category of racing. I might enjoy that!

Driving my own car? It would be great to thrash one of theirs, but I suppose they'll only have 718s there now?

Whatever you want. Even out on the public roads if that floats your boat.
If you want to learn in your own car, you don't have to thrash it. You might be surprised at how difficult it is to drive slowly to their standards!

Knowing Porsche it looks green and is probably called blue. Lucky their engineering is better than their colour naming.

advertisement

Back