advertisement

My New Car (warning more Porsche content)

Porsche do a flat grey colour called "crayon" that I like.

AKA ' shiney Racing Primer'.
It seems a popular approach in recent years - but it's a bit gash, to my taste.

re Rug Doc - the 50s produced some properly interesting flat grey colours. BMC 'Clarendon Grey' is a good one that looks great on contemporary Series 2 Morris Minors - it's like watercolour Payne's grey - there's a body and depth to it, both red and blue hues in it; not just a flat 50% screen. And it was a cellulose-based coating - proper, bastard-hard stuff that finished properly; wonderfully even, and flat: unlike today's water-based, fish-eyed, crappy mist coats.

That's not for me. I'm currently stuck with a silver car, I wouldn't have chosen it but when your gearbox lets go and you need wheels, now, colour is the last thing you get to choose. £900, you replace that knackered tyre, deliver it and take away the dead one, is as good as it gets. 4 months and 5k miles on I have no complaints. MoT in June, we'll see.

I've had 2 silver cars, don't like it. Same for white, no thanks. 3 reds, never been sorry I had a red car. Likewise green and blue. Given free rein I'd have ASBO orange or Kawa green on a hot hatch, yellow is good too. Sensible cars, maybe something a little calmer. But never wet f*ing tarmac grey.

re Rug Doc - the 50s produced some properly interesting flat grey colours. BMC 'Clarendon Grey' is a good one that looks great on contemporary Series 2 Morris Minors - it's like watercolour Payne's grey - there's a body and depth to it, both red and blue hues in it; not just a flat 50% screen. And it was a cellulose-based coating - proper, bastard-hard stuff that finished properly; wonderfully even, and flat: unlike today's water-based, fish-eyed, crappy mist coats.
I'm with you. Some greys are worth having. Crap primer grey isn't. Great as a primer to show up imperfections, otherwise useless.
One thing I never got the hang of was the 70s obsession with beige. Especially Citroen. I had a beige 1977 2CV when I was in France, because it's the law. It was in Sahara beige. They had another 3 or 4 near identical colours, all equally grim. If ever a car cried out for a decent red, green or yellow, the 2CV was it.

on the subject of grey and 2CVs, the original 50s-60s grey is great. Cool as penguin piss. Keep your Porsches.

When I asked about this approach, they openly said they were trying to develop a picture of me as a driver, and ascertain my experience in this type of car.
...and ascertain your wonga situation. In about a fortnight, the investment advice mailings will start to drop through the letterbox.

In about a fortnight, the investment advice mailings will start to drop through the letterbox

you will of course note, the post you are replying to, I posted nearly a year ago.....so I am in a good position to comment on your reverse prediction.

Simply put, you're wrong, nothing was received.....

Targa is having surgery on the hood, porsche loaned me this for a day

20200220_165045 by uh_simon, on Flickr

Nice to drive, but feels a bit detached, and a bit sluggish. Road holding is top notch, sounds $hit though. I was right not to buy a 718. My 981 was way nicer.

Come on spill the beans (cannellini). How long did it take you to reverse it into the garage? That looks tight

Hadn't realise the Cayman was such a decent looking car - looks great from that angle.

Yiz are all wrong on the colour front btw. Two biggest challenges facing any Porsche driver are (a) how to drive it properly without attracting the attention of the Five-O and (b) how to avoid attracting too much attention from those who might otherwise deem you to be a typical Porsche driving onanist. Grey works perfectly - even better if it hasn't been washed for a month or so :)

boZFo7Vl.png

Come on spill the beans (cannellini). How long did it take you to reverse it into the garage? That looks tight

about 10 seconds....I am well practised. Used squeeze the Macan in that space.

360° cameras and parking sensors help.....

Hadn't realise the Cayman was such a decent looking car - looks great from that angle.

it is a prettier thing than I thought.

from the upstairs window

2020-02-21_10-42-56 by uh_simon, on Flickr

this mornings drive out was nice, dont like the turbo lag but it does go, the steering feels very sensitive. Brakes are very good. Road noise is more intrusive than I remember from my 981, and way noisier than the Targa.

There is no doubt it is a great car, but it feels like it is missing something.....ah yes.....2L Turbo engine is too quiet, even with the Sports exhaust open.....doesn't sound like sports car.....

advertisement

Back