advertisement

Music you should like but don't

The latest Paul Weller release. "Wake Up the Nation" The gushing reviews and modfatherishness all must have raised my expectations maybe too much. After a few spins I am still thinking "quite ordinary pub rock". Must try harder.

Perhaps it will come to me.

85% of all blues I heard. Mostly it's a single theme of misery - a million records or gigs long. We've all heard it, you know the; du-du-du-du-du duuuuuuuu-du! dudu – du! endless cycle. At gigs you are even meant to applaud when one of musicians in a group manage to solo for a minute or two. Which they always always do. Why? No more please.

Carl

All post trad jazz. I know it is brilliant but I can't get to the off switch quick enough! (unless it's the Archers in which case I can cross the kitchen before you could say; "Tum, ti...)

JAZZ, I even hate the word, look at it; all spikey and horrid, could you write a more ugly word?

How can you "should like" any music? Surely this kind of fanaticism is responsible for the hype of such bands as radiohead.

How can you "should like" any music? Surely this kind of fanaticism is responsible for the hype of such bands as radiohead.

Its just a thread for people who eg like pop, but don't like the Beatles etc. I like a lot of rap, but Eminem does nothing to me. Nothing fanatical about it.

I feel like I "should" like The Beach Boys, especially "Pet Sounds", but they do nothing for me. I hear it as a slight variation on the Four Freshmen.

I'm a sucker for all of those melodramatic southern type bands with Les Paul's like the Allman Brothers and Skynyrd, but I absolutely cannot stand more then 5 seconds of any Black Crows song. I just find them incredibly irritating.

85% of all blues I heard. Mostly it's a single theme of misery - a million records or gigs long. We've all heard it, you know the; du-du-du-du-du duuuuuuuu-du! dudu – du! endless cycle. At gigs you are even meant to applaud when one of musicians in a group manage to solo for a minute or two. Which they always always do. Why? No more please.

Carl

Sounds like the wrong kind of blues.

<cough>
My name's Steve and I...I don't like Coltrane. Sorry.
<cough>
<shuffles, looks at feet>.

You can try to hide. You can try to run. It will not work. They will find you. They will get you. They will teach you. They are right, you know.

I really like a lot of Radiohead's output, and yes, I am predictable enough to think that OK Computer is probably their best work. However, "Electioneering" from precisely that album leaves me absolutely cold. Every time.

ha - I was just about to post that I should like Radiohead and Nick Drake based on my general tastes and they seem to be almost universally rated.
Can't get through a single song by either artists :eek:
I think it's the fact like they don't sound like they care about getting to the end of the record themselves...

Peter Gabriel

I'm a huge fan--I love Genesis' Gabriel era, love So and Us, and in my opinion, the man's greatest works: 4 (Security) and Passion. Passion has always been a dessert island disc of sorts.

But 1, 2 and 3?

Eek!

The better works thereon--Solisbury hill, Beko, Here comes the flood (I love the rearranged version on his best-of) et all--do not excuse such blights on an otherwise impeccable career.

2? Should be struck from the set of integers: henceforth 1+1 = 3!

dress like tools and pretend to be all peace and love, and then shave the beard and hair off and back into the suit for the next 11 months in the banking industry. :)

So the spend the other 11 months of the year dressed as tools as well. After the banking debacle perhaps we should ban suits, shirts and ties. Then we would have no more banking crisis just like banning hoodies caused an end to teenage gangs.

Personally I hate Stockhausen, I would rather listen to someone dragging stones down a window pane.

Peter Gabriel

I'm a huge fan--I love Genesis' Gabriel era, love So and Us, and in my opinion, the man's greatest works: 4 (Security) and Passion. Passion has always been a dessert island disc of sorts.

But 1, 2 and 3?

Eek!

The better works thereon--Solisbury hill, Beko, Here comes the flood (I love the rearranged version on his best-of) et all--do not excuse such blights on an otherwise impeccable career.

I'm pretty much the opposite here, I can take or leave Genesis, and Gabriel lost me at 4, but I love 1, 2, and 3. I played 3 "Melt" just yesterday.

I'm pretty much the opposite here, I can take or leave Genesis, and Gabriel lost me at 4, but I love 1, 2, and 3. I played 3 "Melt" just yesterday.

Yank, that's a very polite way of saying that naptrel's as wrong as a wrong thing going the wrong way down wrong street. 1, 2 and 3 are, for me, head and shoulders above the rest of PG's output.

Simon (3 -original vinyl- playing right now)

"2" is *infinitely* superior to "1" - the Fripp production is a breath of fresh air.

If you want to hear the best version of "Here Comes the Flood", the version for solo piano, bookended by some Frippertronics on "Exposure" can't be beaten.

All IMHO of course

advertisement

Back