advertisement

Music you dislike

UB40 utter shite

harsh - I can understand someone saying a certain band didn't produce music to their taste. Actually some of the earlier works were excellent, and I quite like them. Their later works don't appeal to me too much, but I'd never be so arrogant to say they were "shite"

Damned odd topic...……………..

How about music that I would not buy? Stacks and stacks and stacks, and stacks, personally.
Music that I find boring - probably near as much.
Music that is just muzak to me - loads and loads.

Music that I would actively avoid/turn off - precious, precious little.

Genre and bands that have produced nothing that I would willing listen to? There must be some somewhere, I just haven't found it yet, but I shall very much enjoy the search for it.

Damned odd topic...……………………………….. and a very blinkered one at that.

I find my music dislikes change as time goes by. I ‘hate’ none of it, but choose not to listen to certain things..

Heavily classical music doesn’t do it for me. Music without discernable rhythm also doesn’t appeal. Beatles I’ve said before are not my bag, although I fully appreciate their influence.

My most recent dislike to like is decent Country music, probably by going to a ‘Nashville’ gig last year. The cast sure could sing, and could tell a good story too.

Maybe I should clarify then. rap or hip hop that encourages violence or glorifies gun/knife crime, i can't think of another genre of music that does that.

I'm not so sure glorifying it is the correct way of putting it, I merely see it as people 'singing' or 'rapping' about the background / up-bringing / life that they have experienced, lived in and amongst. If music is a vehicle for them to be able to better their and their children's lives then who are we to judge...

Sure, some of them will still probably mix in the wrong circles but many won't, look at the likes of Dr Dre, Ice Cube, Jay Z all have gone on to have very, very successful careers and to be able to live the 'good life' and, to me, they seem to come across as quite genuine people who just had a hard start in life

I'm not so sure glorifying it is the correct way of putting it, If music is a vehicle for them to be able to better their and their children's lives then who are we to judge...
It seems to me that children’s lives from a lot of urban inner city areas are not getting better though. The rhythm of the streets is perpetuating & normalizing violence.
Didn’t jayz stab a rival in a nightclub? Not sure that qualifies him as an outstanding pillar of society....just another knife wielder willing to stab someone at the drop of a hat.
I doubt many gang members have Coltrane or Chopin on their playlists.

It's not in my nature to bash music that I dislike because I respect the fact that there are people who appreciate those types of music. I just don't listen to it and get on with my life.

BTW, I never got into the Beatles' music.

I can’t stand power ballads, Jennifer Rush - Power of Love, Bryan Adams -Everything I Do etc. It’s just so oversung it's ridiculous, it’s almost emotionally manipulative.

Oh and all musicals by Andrew Lloyd Webber/Tim Rice.

I love the Beatles though.

I love jazz, but I just don't get free jazz. Its clear to me that I don't understand what they are trying to do, and I wonder if I'd appreciate it more if I did.

All modern "R&B" and similar. Tuneless, moronic, generic crap in which it appears they are basically trying to make every song a generic version of every other song...

Anything in which "aggression" and "how fast can we play it" is seemingly offered as a replacement for tune, melody etc... so all death metal etc.

Virtually anything you are likely to hear on radios 1 or 2 or local radio during the day and which was written after the dark satans Stock, Aitkin and Waterman appeared on the scene and turned all after into moronic, bubble gum, repetitive bilge designed for pissed 18 year olds in discos....

Whenever I hear anything by the likes of Rihanna, Jay-Z, Timberlake etc etc (add any you like... they're all the same... usually "feat." even more of the same...) I wonder if anyone who would claim to like it has an IQ in even double figures.... It's all "music" for people who don't really like or understand music but want some sort of rhythmic back ground noise as I see it! And relax... Ah....:D

Reactions: MVJ
Music???

Anything that incites/glorifies gun and knife crime ain't music.

Nothing new under the sun:

Mack the Knife
Bobby Darin

Oh, the shark, babe, has such teeth, dear
And it shows them pearly white
Just a jackknife has old MacHeath, babe
And he keeps it, ah, out of sight
Ya know when that shark bites with his teeth, babe
Scarlet billows start to spread
Fancy gloves, oh, wears old MacHeath, babe
So there's never, never a trace of red
Now on the sidewalk, huh, huh, whoo sunny morning, un huh
Lies a body just oozin' life, eek
And someone's sneakin' 'round the corner
Could that someone be Mack the Knife?
There's a tugboat, huh, huh, down by the river don'tcha know
Where a cement bag's just a'drooppin' on down
Oh, that cement is for, just for the weight, dear
Five'll get ya ten old Macky's back in town
Now d'ja hear 'bout Louie Miller? He disappeared, babe
After drawin' out all his hard-earned cash
And now MacHeath spends just like a sailor
Could it be our boy's done somethin' rash?
Now Jenny Diver, ho, ho, yeah, Sukey Tawdry
Ooh, Miss Lotte Lenya and old Lucy Brown
Oh, that line forms on the right, babe
Now that Macky's back in town
I said Jenny Diver, whoa, Sukey Tawdry
Look out to Miss Lotte Lenya and old Lucy Brown
Yes, that line forms on the right, babe
Now that Macky's back in town
Look out, old Macky's back

(diference is I love this one :) )

Rap & ghetto
Electronic
Dance & related (house, techno, hip-hop, etc.)
DJ
Chill-out & lounge
Heavy metal & related
Commercial pop & rock
Country
World music (folk/ethnic music served w/ ketchup and fries to appease the western palate)

I enjoy a lot of musical styles, cannot abide Rap though and have generally felt disinclined except for a few exceptions for music that depends on the ability to plug an instrument into an electrical circuit. Melody, Rhythm etc are so important to enjoyment, am I alone in detesting what I call thump thump music (possibly drum and bass) which has completely driven me into the earlier part of last century.

I wonder how many people have been attracted to classical music with advancing years?

Dislike:

most country & western.
Ed sheeran.
katie melua.
anything with auto-tune vocals
Kylie Minogue / any S.A.W. crap
Eminem
formula pop.
Blink 181
Marilyn Manson
Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel.
The Swans
Nick Cave
Sonic Youth
Peters & Lee (I once played golf with Sue Peters, long story)
and many many more.

I love all music.

But I loathe stuff I do not consider to be music.

And the inventor of the vocoder and auto tune should be burned at the stake.

Any music with no space in it
Trad Jazz
****ry and Western
Reggae
Most opera
The Archers theme and the National Anthem

I invoke Sturgeons Law. 90% of music is crap, but 90% of everything is crap.

Dislike cont.

> chinese opera
asian pop (k pop)
christian rock music / happy clappy stuff ( but not gospel)
The Shires, The Shires, The Shires and The Shires
Mumford and sons
Plan B
Happy hardcore
drill
dixieland jazz
eurobeat
clean bandit, drake
Oasis, Oasis, Oasis anything associated with Oasis. I hate Oasis.
Carter USM
lots of world music, but not all of it.
anything with 'lap slide guitar' on it
most banjo, ukulele music ( not George Formby = legend)

I will return to this subject...

advertisement

Back