advertisement

Music you dislike

If a song is any good it is still good, maybe better, if played on a simple acoustic guitar with vocals. That's the acid test!

Sorry, no. If a song or piece of music makes one person happy, makes them sing along or want to get up and dance to it then it's good.

Opposite here to most it seems as I will always have vastly more to say about what I don't like than what I do... no matter what the subject... If somethings good it can be left alone to get on with being good but if bad it needs calling out, criticising etc.

On music I particularly hate the "you're a grumpy old man if you don't get it" thing which genuinely makes me very angry.

The people who like crap seem to be people with no knowledge or background in music and who don't play instruments etc!

If it's in the charts (and all my opinions on music here are based on chart music) then it's complete shite basically as it will be designed to be dance able, have no real instruments on it, have a bum tisch bum tisch moronically-obvious-in-yer-face-a-tree-sloth-couldn't-lose-the-beat back beat, have the no doubt out of tune vocals processed by auto tune so it becomes an effect and isn't really even a human voice anymore... everythings "wave yer arms in the air like you just don't care", shiny happy people, sub moronic, dumbed down, production line rubbish.

If a song is any good it is still good, maybe better, if played on a simple acoustic guitar with vocals. That's the acid test!

My objection to grumpy old men whinging about music they don’t like is not that they don’t get it, but that they should shut up whinging and get on with enjoying what they like, while having the decency to respect that others’ choices are others’ choices and nothing to do with them.

Sorry, no. If a song or piece of music makes one person happy, makes them sing along or want to get up and dance to it then it's good.

Quite, though perhaps saying that it’s a “a good thing” rather than “good” might be how I’d phrase it. :)

My objection to grumpy old men whinging about music they don’t like is not that they don’t get it, but that they should shut up whinging and get on with enjoying what they like, while having the decency to respect that others’ choices are others’ choices and nothing to do with them.

My objection to chart shite is that it's so bad it degrades music itself by its existence, probably kills the few remaining brain cells of those who think it's good and worst of all it fills the airwaves with utter dross which otherwise could be filled by the offerings of genuinely talented musicians.... not idiots who load up "Bossanova number 5" from memory bank 6 and press "play" then turn their tuneless warblings into something like a more in tune Dalek using auto tune....

Those who like eg "CHEAT CODES & LITTLE MIX", "CARDI B/BAD BUNNY/J BALVIN", "TYGA FT OFFSET" or "6IX9INE/MINAJ/MURDA BEATZ", to give few examples from this weeks charts, are IMHO complete cretins with less musical taste or appreciation than an amoeba. It exists purely to advertise the fashion brands, perfumes, trainers etc of the perpetrators and to provide a background as an excuse for the video in which sexiness, product placement and dancing, not music, are whats "on sale"....

Depends whose cover version of Beethoven's 9th you're copying on your acoustic..

Mind.... I've not heard Beethoven's original version..

There isn't all that much music which I actively dislike.

Most of the stuff under that heading for me would be the bloody awful 'non music' churned out by James Last or similar, and some 'free jazz' type stuff. Also most of the 'atonal' 'avante-garde' stuff written under the general heading of 'modern music', for what used to be 'classical' orchestra.

With most other music, I either like it.. to degrees ranging between finding it 'pleasant' to being totally 'absorbed/enthralled/captivated'. Or I'm indifferent to it.

I'm pretty much indifferent to Rap/Hip Hop/'Stadium' Rock 'Prog'/most 80s 'electronic/sysnthesiser based stuff 'jazz fusion' and whatever most of the current chart stuff is labelled as. That said there are odd tunes, even there, which catch my attention.

Bah..

Why not? The California Guitar Trio make a damned good stab at it.
Chris

I was being facetious in my previous comment, but just listened to this anyway. Clever, but I really didn't like it. Much as I like the acoustic guitar in other contexts, it can't maintain a musical line in the way that say strings or woodwind can, i.e. the percussive/staccato nature of the playing doesn't allow the proper phrasing or dynamics of this music, and I thought it was rather monotonous. So a very pale imitation of the original. All IMHO of course!

advertisement

Back