advertisement

Music you dislike

UK Drill, from the very little I've seen of it, seems to be at the extreme end of the rap scene & encapsulates everything I hate about it.
If that makes me a closed-minded middle aged white geezer, I'm perfectly OK with that.
There is enough pop, rock, jazz,blues, prog & classical to keep me happy.

I cannot abide the Country & Western genre - especially, especially the twangy Stand By Your Man type. Now some stuff that sits on the edge of C & W is very listenable - there is a spectrum. By the time it has spread out to the Eagles I am a happy bunny.

I don't get Rap and all derivatives - although the latest Kendrick Lamar does seem to occupy another level and is well worth listening too. Sometimes the critics can point you in the right direction

Yes you are possibly right, but it has been other sub-genres before that. In fact some Drill artists are now getting record deals and are becoming more acceptable.

I would still argue that to dismiss a whole genre due to a few practitioners is akin to dismissing the whole labour party as anti-Semitic due to the actions of a few......................never mind......

Correct it is a lifestyle that IMO has nothing to do with music, more to do with drugs, crime, violence, knifes, guns,gang membership and a lifestyle choice based on this. I have never heard of another genre of (loosely termed music) with so many of its's so called stars involved in shootings, stabbings of each other, which in turn is listened to by the younger members of society who look up to these low life idiots.
I have to agree with you here.

Reactions: MVJ
From what I understand, John Lennon could be a nasty piece of work but we are all human.
I’m a massive Beatles fan and John has written/co written some of the greatest songs of the 20th century... but he had a Liam Gallagher type arrogance about him and his attitude towards his band mates left a lot to be desired. I’ve heard him saying some really harsh and unfair things in interviews. I’m not sure he was ever violent though.

I’m a massive Beatles fan and John has written/co written some of the greatest songs of the 20th century... but he had a Liam Gallagher type arrogance about him and his attitude towards his band mates left a lot to be desired. I’ve heard him saying some really harsh and unfair things in interviews. I’m not sure he was ever violent though.

I have read one or two things about Lennon where he admitted to violence https://www.phillyvoice.com/eagles-...les-debate-after-calling-john-lennon-bad-guy/

Personally, I don't like the music of the Beatles, but acknowledge their influence on music, history and their popularity.

I have read one or two things about Lennon where he admitted to violence https://www.phillyvoice.com/eagles-...les-debate-after-calling-john-lennon-bad-guy/

Personally, I don't like the music of the Beatles, but acknowledge their influence on music, history and their popularity.
Interesting and not overly surprising. He was a temperamental character with very strong opinions and views. George Harrison wasn’t the greatest husband to Patti Boys either, he was repeatedly unfaithful to her and even cheated with Ringo’s wife... yet it’s Paul that people seem to take exception to. I can’t quite figure out why.

Anything from the movie The Sound of Music, unless used as a vehicle by John Coltrane.

I also think a lot of rap is written in a way that its listeners understand but outsiders such as old white guys likely don’t get.
Precisely why I don't listen to it. It was not written for me to listen to if I need to read a treatise to understand it.

I can't remember who it was, I know one of the guys was in a drive by shooting or something.

I do find that response quite frustrating.
You've started a thread to dismiss an entire sub-culture, albeit specifically elements that proactively promote gun violence (other types of violence maybe OK this hasn't been confirmed) and then say 'some bloke or other who shot something once' or words to that effect as the reason.

Actually, thinking about it - it's comedy genius! :D

I do find that response quite frustrating.
You've started a thread to dismiss an entire sub-culture, albeit specifically elements that proactively promote gun violence (other types of violence maybe OK this hasn't been confirmed) and then say 'some bloke or other who shot something once' or words to that effect as the reason.

Actually, thinking about it - it's comedy genius! :D

I started a thread on music I dislike.....

I did not dismiss an entire genre, i dismissed a music that was glorifying gang violence etc. I have no interest in the artists/idiots or the sounds they produce so simply can not remember who they are. I would denounce any genre that actively sought to encourage violence or the glorification of it......would you not?
He was involved in a drive by shooting and either was killed himself or had something to do with it, he is not the only one I have heard. There was another shot in a lift i NY, another stabbed outside a food store....all gangsta rappas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangsta_rap

I started a thread on music I dislike.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangsta_rap

But haven't given an example - that's the point I'm making.

As it goes I'm not a big fan of typical gangster rap either and don't particularly like the majority of Tupac or Biggie Smalls stuff - always preferred Wu Tang myself.
If I took some of the Wu Tang content seriously I'd be in prison or dead by now.

advertisement

Back