advertisement

Music you dislike

I love all music.

But I loathe stuff I do not consider to be music.

And the inventor of the vocoder and auto tune should be burned at the stake.

I am correct when I think Peter Frampton and Steely Dan used a vocoder?

Love a lot of Scottish music but anything with an accordion drives me spare.

Also, jazz with a violin, i.e. Stephane Grappelli.

Love a lot of Scottish music but anything with an accordion drives me spare.

Also, jazz with a violin, i.e. Stephane Grappelli.

I got dragged to a Runrig concert at Stirling Castle by mother, I still haven't forgiven her. Got soaked to the skin, had to hike 10 miles through the countryside to get to the venue from the car park. Got back to car park, everyone was stuck due to mud, took 4 hours to get towed out. (I did like the support band though - Great Big Sea).

I was also in a Big Country video as a nipper and had to mime a chorus and a verse of one of their songs whilst stood on the footplate of a steam train.

That's as far as my show business career went.....

For me and for today...anything by the Afro Celt Sound System....utter banal twaddle fit only for those "mood" CD's you can buy in garden centres.

Not sure what the genre's called but it seems to be a style used in adverts such as banks, where a cheap session singer does a cover of a well known song acoustically BUT really slowly - it's the slowing down that really bugs me.

Oh yes plus Rap and bagpipes

Not sure what the genre's called but it seems to be a style used in adverts such as banks, where a cheap session singer does a cover of a well known song acoustically BUT really slowly - it's the slowing down that really bugs me.

I know what you mean, acoustic guitar and whispy vocals - frequently a bank advert. 'They' want to be your friend.

This thread is almost offensive. The essence of intolerant grumpy old men.

Why go to the trouble of publishing to the world the things you don’t like? Everything listed has merit to many, many, people. Why poor out the negativity? Bizarre.

This thread is almost offensive. The essence of intolerant grumpy old men.

Why go to the trouble of publishing to the world the things you don’t like? Everything listed has merit to many, many, people. Why poor out the negativity? Bizarre.

Ying Yang, like/dislike or even good vs evil/bad (if you believe in good and evil) > you have to know what you do not like to know what you like. No negative, no positive.

It is healthy to give an outlet to things that one does not like, otherwise all that negativity gets trapped inside a person. Rather like getting angry with something, to internalise the anger rather than having an outlet for those feelings is unhealthy I would suggest.

@Big Tabs, I’d agree if the feelings were personal and deep, or aimed at targets that were generally despised by humanity.

But being so negative about music that others love is a very different thing.

@Big Tabs, I’d agree if the feelings were personal and deep, or aimed at targets that were generally despised by humanity.

But being so negative about music that others love is a very different thing.

What about shoes? I love shoes. What if someone declares their dislike or even hatred for my shoes? Is the sentiment transferable?

This is also on my list of music I dislike >

Chumbawamba "Tubthumping" - I know many who like this, but it did (and still does) get my teeth on end.

Crass also never did anything for me, that saying, I love the Dead Kennedys / Lard.

Opposite here to most it seems as I will always have vastly more to say about what I don't like than what I do... no matter what the subject... If somethings good it can be left alone to get on with being good but if bad it needs calling out, criticising etc.

On music I particularly hate the "you're a grumpy old man if you don't get it" thing which genuinely makes me very angry.

The people who like crap seem to be people with no knowledge or background in music and who don't play instruments etc!

If it's in the charts (and all my opinions on music here are based on chart music) then it's complete shite basically as it will be designed to be dance able, have no real instruments on it, have a bum tisch bum tisch moronically-obvious-in-yer-face-a-tree-sloth-couldn't-lose-the-beat back beat, have the no doubt out of tune vocals processed by auto tune so it becomes an effect and isn't really even a human voice anymore... everythings "wave yer arms in the air like you just don't care", shiny happy people, sub moronic, dumbed down, production line rubbish.

If a song is any good it is still good, maybe better, if played on a simple acoustic guitar with vocals. That's the acid test!

advertisement

Back