advertisement

Multi-function football thread 2019/20 season II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard a health expert on the radio today saying music concerts will not return until 2021 when a vaccine will be out. That being the case football will be in that same boat. Thousands maybe millions have cancelled SKY Sports so money will dry up. The Golden age of players making huge salaries and obscene transfers will not return. Many lower league clubs will disappear unless fans can keep their clubs afloat. We are heading towards a 1930's depression things will not return to normal. 4 month our GDP will be down by 35% think what 6 month or more will do the government is having to borrow more than it is bringing in. Its absolutely mental. Football will return and so will the fans the biggest wake up call will be football players playing in top leagues who's wages will drop drastically. Every household will be affected by large tax increases it's the only thing that can happen.

Jimmy Greaves has left hospital and is back home with his wife Irene. https://www.theguardian.com/

"A statement on the former England, Chelsea and Tottenham striker’s Facebook page said: “We are delighted to let you all know that Jimmy is now back at home recuperating with his wife Irene. He has been very ill and we are hoping he will be fine going forward.”

The 80-year-old began his career at Chelsea and also played for England. He even won something with Spurs. That must have been hard work.

"Greaves is the highest goalscorer in the history of English top-flight football (357 goals), and has also scored more hat-tricks (six) for England than anyone else," according to Wikipedia.

Nice to know he's still going strong.

Jack

Heard a health expert on the radio today saying music concerts will not return until 2021 when a vaccine will be out. That being the case football will be in that same boat. Thousands maybe millions have cancelled SKY Sports so money will dry up. The Golden age of players making huge salaries and obscene transfers will not return. Many lower league clubs will disappear unless fans can keep their clubs afloat. We are heading towards a 1930's depression things will not return to normal. 4 month our GDP will be down by 35% think what 6 month or more will do the government is having to borrow more than it is bringing in. Its absolutely mental. Football will return and so will the fans the biggest wake up call will be football players playing in top leagues who's wages will drop drastically. Every household will be affected by large tax increases it's the only thing that can happen.

I agree with most of this and see football being played behind closed doors for the entirety of next season. Rugby too. But I think this will increase the live telly audiences which is where Sky will dip in again and keep the whole footballers wages and transfer fees fiasco going.

I agree with most of this and see football being played behind closed doors for the entirety of next season. Rugby too. But I think this will increase the live telly audiences which is where Sky will dip in again and keep the whole footballers wages and transfer fees fiasco going.
I think you're wrong - watching football on tv in an empty stadium will, I believe, be a massive turn off for many.
Don't underestimate the part that the fans play - plus most who regularly attend matches will already have Sky/BT.
What is more likely is pubs that have Sky benefitting from increased custom as fans congregate and create a bit of alternative atmosphere with friends etc.

Just cancelled BTSport and TV package...haven't watched it since Christmas...pretty much finished with it...though like an addict I'll no doubt take the methadone of Match of the Day.

Howay the Lads.

Last edited:
Ordinarily I would agree but I think by the time we get to August both the fans and the players will be gagging for some footie. So Sky broadcast the games, maybe all of the PL games, to satisfy their contractual obligations whilst also opening up their advertising revenue stream. Not an ideal solution I know and it could easily be scuppered by a resurgence in the virus come the winter.

I am a season ticket holder, I don't have Sky or BT Sport (don't forget they have an interest too) as my football budget is spent on watching the games live.

I hate watching matches in pubs as I don't support one of the major teams, and no longer live in the immediate catchment area there is generally an air of indifference in the pub when our games are on (unless we are playing one of the 'big six') which isn't great. Also, if they offered multiple games played at the same time then what would the pub put on e.g. Liverpool v <anyone> or Norwich v Brighton?

Would pubs be open anyway?

Why not just scrap next season and just start this season again in March next year from where they left off with full grounds (assuming it is safe to do so, vaccine generally available) ?

p.s. there is also football played in major leagues other than the EPL.

Doesn't the Championship appear in the top five or six for attendance figures (after the EPL, Bundesliga, Serie A, La Liga and Ligue 1)?

Should they play behind closed doors and have their games televised?

What about League 1 and 2? Shouldn't the same apply to them?

p.s. there is also football played in major leagues other than the EPL.

Doesn't the Championship appear in the top five or six for attendance figures (after the EPL, Bundesliga, Serie A, La Liga and Ligue 1)?

Should they play behind closed doors and have their games televised?

What about League 1 and 2? Shouldn't the same apply to them?

Because English contract law beats the FIFA guidance about extending contracts. I doubt that any lower division teams would be able to field an apprpriate side. There's no point the teams who thought they had a chance to compete in last few games clinging to a forlorn hope, they might as well start clean. The sore losers among the fans can then argue for decades to come.

They will find a way to finish the EPL, money talks.

The EPL will meet tomorrow to find some way forward. There could be a deadline of 30 June for finishing the season. It seems very unlikely that the season (leagues and cups) could be finished by then not least because it would require medical staff to taken away from hospitals even if games were behind closed doors. Many very complex issues ahead eg League 1 promotions, even the wisdom of Solomon may not be enough. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth and possibly court actions as well.

Edited: EPL replaces UEFA

Last edited:
Update on the above. The deadline for all games this season will be end of August. How that can work next season remains to be seen.

"Uefa is working to plans that would see the Champions League final end the 2019-20 season on 29 August.

European football's governing body will meet on 23 April for more discussions about how to complete a campaign which has been disrupted by coronavirus.

It is likely one decision will be to agree that leagues could finish early, although only with Uefa's approval.

But the idea is still to finish the season as a whole at the end of August, with all outstanding games played."

Scotland have agreed on how to decide the winners in each league but not how to deal with relegation. This was decided last Friday at a far from a good-natured meeting with one club calling for the suspension of the chairman and accusing the SPFL of corruption. No prizes for guessing what club that was.

Out of the frying pan into the fire for Newcastle as far as I'm concerned. Morally bankrupt.
Ho hum.
Barney Ronay has a good piece in the Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ter-the-austere-and-unforgiving-house-of-saud
Perhaps it is time here for a tale of the tape. Mike Ashley: pig-headed retail magnate. Saudi Arabia: blood-stained inherited dictatorship. Mike Ashley: zero hours contracts in his sports shops. Saudi Arabia: beheaded 37 men in a single day. Mike Ashley: showed disrespect to Rafa Benítez. Saudi Arabia: murdered and dismembered Jamal Khashoggi. Is this useful at all?

Ashley wants to sell you a cheap nylon tracksuit. Saudi Arabia wants to sell you a soft-focus view of its oppressive regime, safe in the knowledge that a mega-spending spree will provide instant distraction, thereby treating the fanbase of a great British football club as useful idiots in the soft‑power game. “We’re getting our club back,” has been a refrain in the last few days. Really? Because it looks more like something more precious is being taken away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back