advertisement

Multi-function 2017/2018 football thread Pt II

I don't blame the stewarding at all. They don't get paid a lot of money and I am pretty sure if there is a chance of something serious happening they are told to call the police. Stewards/security staff in general do not get paid enough( and therefore not trained enough) to deal with these kind of situations . There is a reason why we have cardboard cutouts of policemen in the pound world. They serve pretty much the same purpose when it comes to security. Visibility deters. To a certain degree.

Especially as in football spitting is considered a worse offense than a dangerous tackle (not sure why..)

Not sure either, may have something to do with the offensiveness of anything we excrete from our bodies (which is a cultural thing). The point is there would have been many dangerous tackles at the weekend, but it is the spitting incident which is making the headlines.

You cannot sensibly compare a foul in a game of football or any other sport with spitting. Spitting is an absolute display of contempt.
Carragher by reputation has previous; on the other side of the coin he gave an apology and I struggle with the way society and media driven justice has a place in society. The bloke that provoked this reaction, should he lose his job?
My only gripe is that sky should provide me with an interpreter!

You cannot sensibly compare a foul in a game of football or any other sport with spitting. Spitting is an absolute display of contempt.

I accept this but would prefer being spat at to hobbling on crutches for a month. Going to certain games in the 70s, being spat at was the least of your worries.

Carragher by reputation has previous; on the other side of the coin he gave an apology and I struggle with the way society and media driven justice has a place in society. The bloke that provoked this reaction, should he lose his job?
My only gripe is that sky should provide me with an interpreter!

I was thinking about deliberate fouls aimed at hurting the other player " letting them know you were there" . I think the was a famous example involving a Man U player ( who was actually my favourite player )

I accept this but would prefer being spat at to hobbling on crutches for a month. Going to certain games in the 70s, being spat at was the least of your worries.

I have been watching the beautiful game since the 40's and our main rivals ( Millwall ) call us " Nigels" , you probably live in a tougher part of the world !! As a kid even buses had a sign saying £5.00 for spitting, could never afford it then!

I was thinking about deliberate fouls aimed at hurting the other player " letting them know you were there" . I think the was a famous example involving a Man U player ( who was actually my favourite player )
I know what you mean, certainly about some players such as Souness,Keane and Hunter from the past ,Jack Charlton's little book etc but to me spitting has always seemed vile.

Carragher should have learnt his lesson after throwing coins at Arsenal fans. Not impressed with the driver of the car who may for may not have been using his phone to film. Certainly the driver was so caught up in himself that his daughter's wellbeing was the last thing on his mind.

I do hope Sky have the bottle to sack Carragher this morning.

Anyone else in another job would be for such disgusting behaviour.
No. I have no time for Carragher at all, but from what I've read he was hounded and taunted by another car on the motorway for some distance. The actions of the other diver should be just as condemned as Carragher's.

According to the Father, there was some 'banter' before hand. Looking at the video the car pulls alongside Carragher and stays there for some time. It seems unlikely that 'banter' could've taken place from someone on the driver's side of car and Carragher while driving on the dual carriageway and suggests that the erratic driving on the dual carriageway was a continuation of previous 'banter'.

Carragher is responsible for his reaction, but the actions of the driver does seem to be a case of harassment and loutishness of a sort that should also be condemned

Scousers get stuffed at the rags, carragher hopefully gets sacked by sky and ken Dodd bows out....

it’s the only treble the scousers will ever see.....

I have been watching the beautiful game since the 40's and our main rivals ( Millwall ) call us " Nigels" , you probably live in a tougher part of the world !! As a kid even buses had a sign saying £5.00 for spitting, could never afford it then!
Surely you saw bottles being thrown or beer cans full of urine being launched? Then you had to be careful about which streets you walked down on the way home. Before crowds were segregated it was easy to upset some group of ars*holes by simply saying 'come on Celtic'.

This gives some context to the spitting situation.

In the past spitting was a socially acceptable habit in Europe, but by the 19th Century manners changed.

This coincided with greater awareness of the transmission of contagious diseases that could be spread by spitting, so public health campaigns were launched against it.

Of course a few cans and bricks and we had our ground closed but I have never ever heard any one at Selhurst Park say " come on Celtic" its just not the done thing at our shrine! You have a lot of rascals living in Glasgow!!!!!!!!

3 to go

In City’s last 2 matches the opposition have had 0 shots on target.

Mind the gap.

advertisement

Back