advertisement

Metal

Macabre are great! The over-excited hi pitched singing is hilarious, & never heard a double bass drum that fast.

Good name too/ a fine word even if it doesn't hit -that- hard. "Black Death" (ha!) would be the homerun name.. gotta be countless band's called that surely. I still think Cartilage.. is the best metal name I've stumbled upon.

Leprosy is a good word/ grindcore name. I bet there's a more than a few called Leprosy. No Im not googling.. ive got things to do!

Leprosy is a great album by Death. Check it out immediately!

Big fan of Macabre, their Dahmer album is fantastic.

Leprosy is a great album by Death. Check it out immediately!

Big fan of Macabre, their Dahmer album is fantastic.

Haha!! Most amusing.

I might well dip into Macabre.. a tentative toe. I do have a gatefold album by Carcass, open it up & it's a double spread collage of body parts, so I can mentally prepare myself for Dahmer.

Haha!! Most amusing.

I might well dip into Macabre.. a tentative toe. I do have a gatefold album by Carcass, open it up & it's a double spread collage of body parts, so I can mentally prepare myself for Dahmer.

Reek of Putrefaction by any chance

Dahmer is quite accessable in comparison. I had it running through my head as I watched the Netflix series.

A good thing with this metal genre is that it's normally historically accurate. (Maybe)

Symphony Of Sickness. I must blast this out tonight too. Another one from early 90's or very late 80's.

Carcass were/are such a strange band in that they went from lo-fi death metal, almost grindcore, to a sound verging on classic rock in the space of a few years. I didn't really get on with Swansong at the time. I guess I should give it another listen.

I met Bill Steer a couple of times at gigs in the late 80s and was just a super nice bloke always happy to chat. I still have the last two issues of his Phoenix Militia zine - treasured possessions!

I just rebought the first 2 Iron Monkey albums on CD because nobody has flac downloads available and it was annoying me. Earache said they wouldn't be available through them because of licensing issues, I suppose Relapse own the catalogue now.

Blood incantation have been on rotation recently, I hadn't really given them enough attention despite their popularity.

And... Voivod play Glasgow in a few weeks.

@paulfromcamden Would I be right that Symphony.. is their best album, or perhaps next-best ?

I'm only basing this on it being their 2nd album, & the old adage that very often this is a band's peak. I can't zip through others, I can only cope with 1 'grindcore' album a week, the snowflake I am!

@paulfromcamden Would I be right that Symphony.. is their best album, or perhaps next-best ?

I'm only basing this on it being their 2nd album, & the old adage that very often this is a band's peak. I can't zip through others, I can only cope with 1 'grindcore' album a week, the snowflake I am!

I suspect most people will have a different 'best' as their sound changed so much.

My favourite is actually the Tools Of The Trade EP.

I would say Necroticism – Descanting the Insalubrious and Heartwork are probably their best in my opinion, they were at their peak and just seemed to find their grove.

I would say Necroticism – Descanting the Insalubrious and Heartwork are probably their best in my opinion, they were at their peak and just seemed to find their grove.

Aha ok, I kinda assumed Symphony I have on vinyl i bought back.. well fk knows when, was chosen after some consideration. It might've just been a chance buy then.

Interesting that TooLs of the trade song above, from 92, sounds identical to most of the lunatic-hilarious clips I hear from the Obscene Extreme czech festival, which I like dipping in to. Or rather the new grindcore bands just refer back to reference point important bands, like Carcass, being just so good maybe.

It's all subjective, I've not played Symphony or Reek in a while but you might prefer them.

Did you know Carcass made an appearance on Red Dwarf.

What did you think of Macabre's Dahmer?

It's all subjective, I've not played Symphony or Reek in a while but you might prefer them.

Did you know Carcass made an appearance on Red Dwarf.

What did you think of Macabre's Dahmer?

Played Symphonies.. tonight, could only do 1 side. Not recorded too well so couldn't appreciate it. Shelved. So maybe not one of the better ones after all. Your Tools.. ep is far better sounding, even via ipad clicking on your link.

Chaos AD on the otherhand, is now in my 'play em alot' (putred) pile of Lp's.

No I didn't know they appeared on Red Dwarf, this has elevated them in my estimation. I must binge watch the series again in fact (Im doing Curb.. at the mo).

advertisement

Back