advertisement

Metal

For those of you who like their metal a bit weird I can recommend the new Zeal and Ardor album (called Zeal and Ardor). Very hard to categorise with elements of Soul Music, Black Metal, Jazz, Post-Rock, Nu-Metal and even Hip-Hop. It has less of the previous African-American spiritual influence than their previous work.

I've been enjoying "Ominous" by Lake of Tears recently, shades of Bowie and the Sisters of Mercy (both good things as far as I am concerned);

A new to me thing that Tidal threw up which I thought might be pfm compatible. Kind of somewhere between Arcturus and Jeff Buckley.

Leprous. These are from their 2019 album Pitfalls. Apparently they have a newer one but I haven't checked it out yet.

Another for good measure:

A new to me thing that Tidal threw up which I thought might be pfm compatible. Kind of somewhere between Arcturus and Jeff Buckley.

Leprous. These are from their 2019 album Pitfalls. Apparently they have a newer one but I haven't checked it out yet.

Another for good measure:

I saw them a few years ago as support for Devin Townsend, from their name I expected something extreme but they played mellow, proggy rock.

I saw them a few years ago as support for Devin Townsend, from their name I expected something extreme but they played mellow, proggy rock.

Yeah, the name rang a bell to me, and I thought it was a project with IIRC Joey Jordison and Attila Csihar. Or someone like that. But clearly not. Can see how it'd go w/ DT.

Anyone heard the new Blood Incantation yet? If not, you may be in for a surprise!

Strangely enough that was another thing Tidal threw up. Retro ambient electronic music. Never heard them before that I can remember but assume they're normally DM? Can't knock the inspiration for the album title, I've used it myself in the past.

Anyone heard the new Blood Incantation yet? If not, you may be in for a surprise!
I read the review in the Guardian earlier today, it doesn't surprise me - Ulver started off as black metal and shifted to ambient/electronica. Most metal fans I know have very broad-ranging tastes in music.

Another recent discovery that blows apart the usual metal stereotypes of 4-long-haired-white-guys-in-a-band. Divide and Dissolve are an Australian Doom-Metal band, just two members, both female, one Cherokee (Tsalagi) and one Maori.
Their latest album, Gas Lit, is excellent.

For those of you who like their metal a bit weird I can recommend the new Zeal and Ardor album (called Zeal and Ardor). Very hard to categorise with elements of Soul Music, Black Metal, Jazz, Post-Rock, Nu-Metal and even Hip-Hop. It has less of the previous African-American spiritual influence than their previous work.

That first song has elements of Coverdale and Cry of Love - pretty good!

Not a fan of the second track o_O

That first song has elements of Coverdale and Cry of Love - pretty good!

Not a fan of the second track o_O
I like both tracks, but they represent the breadth of styles in the album.
The singer, Manuel Gagneaux also creates music as "Birdmask" - a chamber pop project, not remotely metal, but well worth a listen.

I like both tracks, but they represent the breadth of styles in the album.
The singer, Manuel Gagneaux also creates music as "Birdmask" - a chamber pop project, not remotely metal, but well worth a listen.

I'll check it out thanks - chamber pop sounds interesting! I'm currently listening to Indian folk/nu metal - so many mixed genres!

IIRC the guy behind Z&A was just messing about mashing things together and asked folk on 4chan (a pretty infamous site nowadays) for suggestions of pairs of styles to combine. Among others, someone said black metal and spirituals (expressed in rather less PC language), and hey presto.

It’s never really clicked with me but seems like a talented chap.

Are there any fans of deathcore band Enterprise Earth on here? I was sent a vinyl (transparent splatter) copy of their latest record "The Chosen" by mistake and the vendor told me to keep it.
If you cover the cost of postage you can have it - I played a couple of sides but it isn't really my cup of tea...

Hey everyone, the metal thread lives again!

What are we all listening to? I am enjoying the new Darkthrone.

What's the deal with Deathspell Omega not being on Bandcamp any more? I fancied getting some more of their albums.

advertisement

Back