advertisement

Metal

Can recommend Gojira. Amazing live band. Saw them support Alter Bridge / Volbeat in 2016 then last year on their Magma tour.

What's everyone listening too?
I have loads to get through, I need to stop buying new music to let me catch up ;)
I have the new 2 cd release from funeral doom maestros Funeralium to consume....this is going to be fun o_O:(:D
Anyone else have soft spots for doom?

Amongst other things, I've been listening to Winter again, I had it years ago on tape and only recently got it on vinyl.

Also the new Iron Monkey https://ironmonkey.bandcamp.com/album/9-13 - I don't rate it as highly as their first two, the sludginess is lost and the new singer is relentless but it's not bad.

Wasn't Winter the band that the old Brutal Truth drummer came from? I seem to remember a quip that he'd left the slowest band in the world and joined the fastest. I'll have to check them out, never got round to it at the time.

I had the same reaction to the Iron Monkey album. Without wanting to be disparaging to the guys, I have a slightly hard time thinking of it as an IM album.

Wasn't Winter the band that the old Brutal Truth drummer came from? I seem to remember a quip that he'd left the slowest band in the world and joined the fastest. I'll have to check them out, never got round to it at the time.

I had the same reaction to the Iron Monkey album. Without wanting to be disparaging to the guys, I have a slightly hard time thinking of it as an IM album.

maybe it was the same drummer? (it was, I just checked as I typed that... http://www.invisibleoranges.com/among-the-living-2-scott-lewis/) Extreme Conditions was my introduction to them - astounding album and it still gets played.

on the 'table right this minute though is Alters of Madness :)

From Discogs. It wasn't cheap. I'm glad I never sold my records (like I did with all my tapes and CDs). The price of metal and punk records, especially from 'cult' bands is bloody astonishing.

Good luck :)

Edit:. Look what I found https://store.hmv.com/music/vinyl/into-darkness
I had a look at the SouthernLord website and I couldn't find it, they re-released it back in 2011. I also spotted the HMV link but I don't think its available, HMV will sell its soul to get a sale these days!....unless SouthernLord are thinking of releasing it again....

From Discogs. It wasn't cheap. I'm glad I never sold my records (like I did with all my tapes and CDs). The price of metal and punk records, especially from 'cult' bands is bloody astonishing.

Good luck :)

Edit:. Look what I found https://store.hmv.com/music/vinyl/into-darkness

Blimey, you're not wrong. I just had a quick look at discogs, and after checking prices on 3 of my vinyls at random I was over £300.

I only bought them because they were cheaper than CDs at the time!

yeah, I bought Leprosy and Scream Bloody Gore for about 3 quid each! Shame I traded my Bolt Throwers in for punk albums though. hey ho.

Gosh, Spearhead EP nearly 90 quid, barmy. I'll be sure to be a bit more careful next time I give it a spin!

Just checked out of curiosity and the picture disc I have of Like an Everflowing Stream isn't even on there. Must be rarer than I thought.

Never selling any of it, but it's interesting to know.

My other half was watching a documentary earlier about ancient Egypt, and it made me think of a tip for the OP, if not already known - Nile. I haven't heard anything they've done in a long time, but Black Seeds of Vengeance was superb.

The Nazi thing has kicked off again on Angrymetalguy.com regarding the new Drudkh...:eek:...what is it with these guys?

I don’t think that Metal music in general will ever shake controversies like this, especially within Black Metal, due to the troubled beginnings of the genre.

I do think it raises an interesting moral question about the music we consume, at what point does an artists beliefs overstep our personal boundaries? Drudkh are a band I’ve only recently (re)discovered but I don’t see any political message in their music.

I guess the argument is wether through buying their music you are actively “supporting” their cause. I personally have bought recent Burzum albums, again there is no political or ideological message within the music, but Varg Vikernes is still as controversial as ever. But I am buying his “art” not his political agenda. Just looking briefly through my music collection I’m helping financially support people convicted of murder, arson, violence, extreme right-wing political views and numerous drink and substance abuse convictions. If I am guilty of helping Varg Vikernes to finance his extreme views then I’m also guilty of enabling Ian Watkins peadophilia, Chris Cornell’s death due to substance abuse and probably a countless number of other artists.

Maybe it helps that I have never been directly or indirectly affected by such issues, would my choices be different (like one of the posters on AMG) if I had?

Who knew that buying music could be so fraught with moral dilemmas.

I don’t think that Metal music in general will ever shake controversies like this, especially within Black Metal, due to the troubled beginnings of the genre.

I do think it raises an interesting moral question about the music we consume, at what point does an artists beliefs overstep our personal boundaries? Drudkh are a band I’ve only recently (re)discovered but I don’t see any political message in their music.

I guess the argument is wether through buying their music you are actively “supporting” their cause. I personally have bought recent Burzum albums, again there is no political or ideological message within the music, but Varg Vikernes is still as controversial as ever. But I am buying his “art” not his political agenda. Just looking briefly through my music collection I’m helping financially support people convicted of murder, arson, violence, extreme right-wing political views and numerous drink and substance abuse convictions. If I am guilty of helping Varg Vikernes to finance his extreme views then I’m also guilty of enabling Ian Watkins peadophilia, Chris Cornell’s death due to substance abuse and probably a countless number of other artists.

Maybe it helps that I have never been directly or indirectly affected by such issues, would my choices be different (like one of the posters on AMG) if I had?

Who knew that buying music could be so fraught with moral dilemmas.
I was going to comment that I don't purchase from bands that portrays violence in their artwork...then I look at my bandcamp and note art protraying violence...I don't buy from bands that have allegedly extreme political views then I note I have Taake and Drudkh and probably many more. I buy the music because I love the music, I buy the art because I love the art. We are just living in a age where one shouts and we all have to fall in line...I think the guys on AMG handled the situation quite well, it's good to know that the metal community is strong and, most all all, shows common sense. I feel sorry that MoM on AMG had to "defend" himself or show his position because he reviewed a "controversial" band, but I am pleased everyone rallied around and showed their true colours. I don't think BMB we fight moral dilemmas with regards the music we buy the music because that is what we want to listen to and enjoy. I will buy the new Drudkh.

Drudkh share members with bands whose politics make some people worry, me included. Principally Hate Forest - a band who were widely regarded as at least NS-symathetic, with an album called Purity. And early in their career, Drudkh were definitely seen, rightly or wrongly, as having nationalist sympathies.

But even if members of the band may have objectionable personal views (I say may - I don't know them), as far as I'm aware Drudkh are nowadays at pains to distance themselves from any kind of politics.

That said, I don't buy the often very loudly voiced idea that art and artist are separate. Often very loudly voiced by people who nowadays also use phrases like 'SJW'. We all have to decide for ourselves what we're comfortable with, and it isn't true that there is no choice to make because it's art. And sometimes the individuals behind the music do affect that choice even if the music isn't expressly about their views. I wouldn't buy an Absurd album even if it was brilliant, and all about cats, because I find the politics of the guy behind it repulsive. And I won't wear a Burzum shirt in public, even though I do still enjoy the pre-prison albums.

But none of that rules out appreciating the harshest of black metal - there is a big difference between making artistic references to troubling themes and making your music a vehicle for neo-Naziism.

I agree again Dave.
It's funny how these things stick, I was searching on Ebay like you do and noticed the Drudkh releases being tagged with Hate Forest. I would never knowingly support any band that has extremist politics but I wouldn't support having these bands boycotted. Half the time I wouldn't know, that's my problem, if I love the music and the bands lyrics are extremist but in a language I don't understand how do I know?? I certainly don't research a bands views before hand, like Taake and Drudkh, I had not considered either band to support these views and Taake was misjudged and an over reaction IMO.
...I totally agree with both you Dave and Blackmetalboon.

BTW, if your watching Blackmetalboon check out the Polish band Mord'A'Stigmata. How I missed these guys I don't know. Remind me of a blackened CoL.

advertisement

Back