advertisement

Metal

That's another point, you guys mentioned Burzum. I haven't anything by the band. Where do I start?

I'd suggest checking out the video to Dunkelheit on YouTube and listening to Hvis Lyset Tar Oss. Sort of both kinds of Burzum.

If you're catching up with that sort of era in general, you could also do worse than checking out the Nordic Metal compilation. You probably can't buy it any more, but it's on Spotify. That and De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, if you're not familiar with it.

I'd suggest checking out the video to Dunkelheit on YouTube and listening to Hvis Lyset Tar Oss. Sort of both kinds of Burzum.

If you're catching up with that sort of era in general, you could also do worse than checking out the Nordic Metal compilation. You probably can't buy it any more, but it's on Spotify. That and De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, if you're not familiar with it.
Will do. Thanks for the pointers.
BTW, I have the Death and Entombed cds you recommended on route. The Dissection cd is relatively expensive, keeping my eye out for that one....

Will do. Thanks for the pointers.
BTW, I have the Death and Entombed cds you recommended on route. The Dissection cd is relatively expensive, keeping my eye out for that one....

Cool, hope you enjoy them. There are loads of other recommendations I and others could make, so just shout out if you want more. It seems to me that there are two kinds of tips. One is personal favourites which may or may not be almost universally agreed upon classics. And then there's the actual classics of their kind, which virtually anyone who knows this stuff would agree on, even if they aren't personal favourites. I'd definitely include Death and Entombed in the latter category.

I was quite encouraged by a gig I went to on Friday. Fairly young bands playing really heavy (ie Disgorge heavy) stuff. It doesn't mean there's a huge local scene, and the guys involved may or may not move up to bigger things, but it shows a bit of 'grass roots' enthusiasm which was nice to see.

There is some good talent going on out there Dave, I do personally think we possibly in a positive era of metal. New bands are emerging that imo are opening doors, I am not saying they are breaking new ground but are making metal that we can relate to once more. I do think Bandcamp especially is helping the scene reach new listeners, its giving kids something they haven't previously experienced. We have known music has been in decline over the last how many years but metal is rejuvenating. They are even starting to fight the loudness war...still to early to say but I do feel there is progress....:cool:

something for mid-week...

https://bonehuntermetal.bandcamp.com/

ok, back to some kenny rogers

That actually is quite fun.

BM vs Punk, but in a different way to Skitsystem (check out the song Stigmata if the name isn't familiar, ace song). I'm kind of surprised I haven't come across Bonehunter at a festival somewhere. Especially as their most recent artwork looks like it was done by the guy who does the Fekal Party festival posters.

I see some regard for G.I.S.M. in there too... I'll check em out tomorrow.

Last edited:
It’s been hectic at work recently so only just catching up on this thread. I’ve had to use the last of my annual leave up so I’ve now got the rest of the month off to check out some of these recommendations.

But none of that rules out appreciating the harshest of black metal - there is a big difference between making artistic references to troubling themes and making your music a vehicle for neo-Naziism.

Well said, you summed it up far better than I could.

BTW, if your watching Blackmetalboon check out the Polish band Mord'A'Stigmata. How I missed these guys I don't know. Remind me of a blackened CoL.

The name rings a bell, I think I had them on a “to buy list” years ago but gave up due to the difficulty in getting half the albums on it.

That's another point, you guys mentioned Burzum. I haven't anything by the band. Where do I start?

Set som engang var, Hvis lyset tar oss & Filosofem are all strong albums from the early 90’s. I have also liked more recent offerings Belus, Fallen & Umskiptar.

" and not loose the high hats in a wall of mush."
Jay

This is something I listen for, along with the splash of a cymbal.

Metallica, Anthrax. I am not sure if Pearl Jam is metal, but Vs. is rocking

Nailbomb - 'Point Blank' is an album that is well worth a listen, plenty of energy..

As with most types of music I like, I will play loads of metal for a week or so, then go off onto disco or whatever. Mood driven always.

Nailbomb - 'Point Blank' is an album that is well worth a listen, plenty of energy..

Man, I've not listened to that since it came out. I love a good side project and I was always a Sep and Fudge Tunnel fan. I'll have to dig out my CD rip.

At the moment I'm working my way through EVERYTHING (on bandcamp) that Deathspell Omega have done. Thanks for tip, whoever it was. Things are just getting interesting around "Fas – Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum".

I got a bit "metalled out" last year after consecutive gigs by Sunn 0))), Opeth, Napalm Death, Devin Townsend and Mastodon so I had to take a break. But I'm back listening to the latest albums by Pallbearer, Elder and Converge now - they are all very good, too.

check out bellwitch latest. 83 min opus ;)

I got a bit "metalled out" last year after consecutive gigs by Sunn 0))), Opeth, Napalm Death, Devin Townsend and Mastodon so I had to take a break. But I'm back listening to the latest albums by Pallbearer, Elder and Converge now - they are all very good, too.

...heard good reports re the Elders. Also haven't picked up the latest Pallbearer yet either...drop us your thoughts Konteeboes. Welcome to our thread btw, good to know there are more metallers on PF :)

advertisement

Back