advertisement

Metal

i know that this is about the music... but what kit do you use that does Metal well

in my system it is Wilson Benesch Square 2 speakers - very fast and dynamic - perfect for a bit of Anthrax

Jay

i know that this is about the music... but what kit do you use that does Metal well

in my system it is Wilson Benesch Square 2 speakers - very fast and dynamic - perfect for a bit of Anthrax

Jay
Nice speakers Jay, always wanted to hear the Squares. I have the latest version Audio Physic Avanti, as always the room dictates the type of loudspeaker so I am a little limited to what I can choose. They have taken an age to mature but they are getting there now.

Jay

Nice speakers Jay, always wanted to hear the Squares. I have the latest version Audio Physic Avanti, as always the room dictates the type of loudspeaker so I am a little limited to what I can choose. They have taken an age to mature but they are getting there now.

Using B&W N802’s. Bass is important to me, especially with so many drummers using double bass!

Last year bought a couple of bits for a second system (still lacking some speakers) and it was easier to test them by hooking them up to my stand mounted rear AV speakers. For a second I wondered what was wrong as it didn’t sound right, I’ve been so accustomed to my main speakers that the lack of bass completely threw me for a minute.

Using B&W N802’s. Bass is important to me, especially with so many drummers using double bass!

Last year bought a couple of bits for a second system (still lacking some speakers) and it was easier to test them by hooking them up to my stand mounted rear AV speakers. For a second I wondered what was wrong as it didn’t sound right, I’ve been so accustomed to my main speakers that the lack of bass completely threw me for a minute.
Seriously nice! Wow. I have heard people say how good the 802s are...
You guys using valve or SS?

I sometimes find that hifi types seem to think that fans of rock/metal think music only sounds good on systems which have over-emphasised treble/upper mids and crap, overblown bass performance. There was a particularly condescending thing I read a while back by a speaker designer (who shall remain nameless) about how he would have to go about 'rock' speakers, if he were ever to do so, for example.

A someone who actually does listen to that sort of thing, and who is involved in making it, I don't think this is accurate at all. I sympathise more with a guy who used to post on the Naim forum who said the best speakers bar none for metal were mid-sized classic style Spendors, when paired with Naim (i.e. fast, muscular SS amplification rather than euphonic valves). Still, it takes all sorts.

As a result of this thread, however, I have actually picked up the last Behemoth album. I'd never been particularly enthusiastic about them before, because in my ignorance, they seemed a bit like a heaver Opeth - i.e. not musically, but in terms of being a band people who aren't that into the whole thing latch on to. And it's actually pretty good.

Also heard the new At The Gates song the other day. That was great stuff IMO, look forward to hearing the album.

Seriously nice! Wow. I have heard people say how good the 802s are...
You guys using valve or SS?

Digital and SS here.

I sometimes find that hifi types seem to think that fans of rock/metal think music only sounds good on systems which have over-emphasised treble/upper mids and crap, overblown bass performance. There was a particularly condescending thing I read a while back by a speaker designer (who shall remain nameless) about how he would have to go about 'rock' speakers, if he were ever to do so, for example.

A someone who actually does listen to that sort of thing, and who is involved in making it, I don't think this is accurate at all. I sympathise more with a guy who used to post on the Naim forum who said the best speakers bar none for metal were mid-sized classic style Spendors, when paired with Naim (i.e. fast, muscular SS amplification rather than euphonic valves). Still, it takes all sorts.

A decent speaker should be able to cope with whatever music is thrown at it, metal is such a diverse genre that I’m not sure how you could “voice” a speaker for it.

After hearing Cult of Luna’s set at Download in 2007(?) the wall of noise that suddenly just hit you as the band kicked in together has become my (impossible) dream to recreate at home.

I guess you picked up The Satanist Dave, excellent album...really pleased everyone is finding new music through the thread. Let's keep them coming.... :D

Digital and SS here.

A decent speaker should be able to cope with whatever music is thrown at it, metal is such a diverse genre that I’m not sure how you could “voice” a speaker for it.

After hearing Cult of Luna’s set at Download in 2007(?) the wall of noise that suddenly just hit you as the band kicked in together has become my (impossible) dream to recreate at home.
I agree, I don't honestly think you could "voice" a speaker to suit metal. Though we may detect a pattern through PF which systems "suit" this diverse and unpredictable music we love. I personally look for an even balance as my mojo is the shape and fabric of the sound. As we know to untrained ears metal sounds as though it is a band falling down a flight of stairs but we know there is more to metal than people first perceive. But I totally get the blastbeat performance as is the foundation that metal is built upon. The creative nuances of metal can tap into emotions that I personally think no other music can achieve. It's passion, it's destructive, it's beauty, it's agony........and as for Cult of Luna live...that is an experience I would sell my soul to you know who to witness. ;)
Which is your favourite CoL Blackmetalboon?
Ohh yes, SS here. Mono blocks.

egodissolve, I’ve had a listen to your recommendations today. Some good albums but the standout album for me was Inconcessus Lux Lucis - The Crowning Quietus, some very catchy, classic metal guitar work, I’ll definitely be added that to my “to buy list”.

I agree, I don't honestly think you could "voice" a speaker to suit metal. Though we may detect a pattern through PF which systems "suit" this diverse and unpredictable music we love. I personally look for an even balance as my mojo is the shape and fabric of the sound. As we know to untrained ears metal sounds as though it is a band falling down a flight of stairs but we know there is more to metal than people first perceive. But I totally get the blastbeat performance as is the foundation that metal is built upon. The creative nuances of metal can tap into emotions that I personally think no other music can achieve. It's passion, it's destructive, it's beauty, it's agony........and as for Cult of Luna live...that is an experience I would sell my soul to you know who to witness. ;)
Which is your favourite CoL Blackmetalboon?
Ohh yes, SS here. Mono blocks.

While the section of your post I’ve highlighted can be true, one stumbling block I’ve found is that people cannot look past the vocal styles and the lack of traditional verse-chorus song structure. I’ve taken girlfriends to gigs (not all at the same time, I generally as a rule only have one at a time!) and they’ve been mesmerised by the musicianship. One girlfriend left a Amon Amarth gig going “wow”, no mean feat as her music collection was essentially Whitney Houston and the Dirty Dancing soundtrack!

Salvation is by far my favourite with Mariner second. Saw them for a second time at the Concorde 2 when they were promoting Somewhere Along the Highway but it didn’t have the same intensity (even with a second drummer squeezed on stage).

Reactions: Jlc
I use vintage naim separates with proac studio monitors. I'd like to hear some full-range speakers with my kit but that wouldn't suit the room.

While the section of your post I’ve highlighted can be true, one stumbling block I’ve found is that people cannot look past the vocal styles and the lack of traditional verse-chorus song structure. I’ve taken girlfriends to gigs (not all at the same time, I generally as a rule only have one at a time!) and they’ve been mesmerised by the musicianship. One girlfriend left a Amon Amarth gig going “wow”, no mean feat as her music collection was essentially Whitney Houston and the Dirty Dancing soundtrack!

Salvation is by far my favourite with Mariner second. Saw them for a second time at the Concorde 2 when they were promoting Somewhere Along the Highway but it didn’t have the same intensity (even with a second drummer squeezed on stage).
Salvation here too. I do have a soft spot for Kingdoms as it was my first CoL.
I don't think my wife would ever accompany me to any gig but I have a chance in the future with my daughter. She is starting to take a curious interest, problem is when she's old enough to go to gigs she won't want her old man tagging along.

I've never been grabbed by CoL. But seeing Neurosis touring Through Silver In Blood was pretty biblical. I've seen them since, and at times it was pretty intense, but nothing has rivalled that first time for its sense of being steamrollered.

I sometimes find that hifi types seem to think that fans of rock/metal think music only sounds good on systems which have over-emphasised treble/upper mids and crap, overblown bass performance

heard this often - A system that does Metal well should be able too handle anything - but not every system can handle Metal

I borrowed a REL Stampede 5 Sub off a friend to see what it would do with my Wilson Benesch speakers in my room, it did make a difference but it was probably too small for the size of the room (lounge diner). The Wilsons have a lean bass but in my room anything else just got too boomy too quickly

heard this often - A system that does Metal well should be able too handle anything - but not every system can handle Metal

I borrowed a REL Stampede 5 Sub off a friend to see what it would do with my Wilson Benesch speakers in my room, it did make a difference but it was probably too small for the size of the room (lounge diner). The Wilsons have a lean bass but in my room anything else just got too boomy too quickly
I had a similar experience with a sub in my room too Jay, I didn't like what it did with metal at all....

Quick pointer guys I just listened to Black Royal "Lightbringer" and I like whats its trying to do...Its like asking Khemmis to play sludge (https://suiciderecordsswe.bandcamp.com/album/lightbringer).
Doing catchup on bandcamp, I have too many on my wishlist. I must have the Portal as previously recommended...whoa, thats awesome! The Abigor too sounds as though it is a must have. Funny really, after listening to these I just pulled the trigger on Balmog (https://balmog.bandcamp.com/album/vacvvm), something about it just hooked me.

advertisement

Back