advertisement

Metal

check out bellwitch latest. 83 min opus ;)
I haven't yet picked up the Bell Witch either (cool cover), I understand you have to listen to the whole piece in one session ssheavy. Talking of doom I need to check out the new King Goat (anyone who has not heard their last one needs to now!) and Messa...have you checked out Profetus? I hold them in high regard and they are produced/mastered by Dan Lowndes at Resonance which is always a good thing, their guitar tones and atmosphere are IMO up there with the best.

At the moment I'm working my way through EVERYTHING (on bandcamp) that Deathspell Omega have done. Thanks for tip, whoever it was. Things are just getting interesting around "Fas – Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum".

I wasn't over keen on some of the earlier stuff I heard, but Paracletus is really something IMO, especially the track Abscission.

Guys, I have to plug the new UADA. One of my top 10 bands of all time. It's on pre release on Bandcamp, it has to be something special to match or better "Devoid of Light" but on the evidence if the track released today I am hopeful.
Touring in the UK as well, London, Cardiff and Nottingham.

Never heard of them before, but on a cursory phone listen it does sound decent. There's still a touch of 'I've heard too much metal, so everything (probably unfairly) sounds derivative' - I hear roughly equal parts Dissection, old Darkthrone and Marduk. But will give it a proper listen later.

Well, it was nice to discover, during the rabbit hole around checking out UADA, that Bethlehem have proper singing again. I like Niklas, but no one could compare with Landfermann on Dictius Te Necare. Until, apparently, they got the singer of Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult (who I'd never heard of either) in in 2016 - not quite the same, but very close!

Bit of Funeral doom for you guys:

Skepticism - Lead and Aether
Evoken - Shades of Night Descending
Thergothon - Stream from the Heavens
Esoteric - The Pernicious Enigma
Shape of Despair - Angels of Distress

Nice list Yomanze, if you haven't already check out Eye of Solitude and Clouds. "Canto III" is a classic but all EoS/Clouds are quality (Clouds are members from both EoS and SofDespair).

Well, it was nice to discover, during the rabbit hole around checking out UADA, that Bethlehem have proper singing again. I like Niklas, but no one could compare with Landfermann on Dictius Te Necare. Until, apparently, they got the singer of Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult (who I'd never heard of either) in in 2016 - not quite the same, but very close!
Bethlehem are another band I haven't discovered yet either Dave...is that something I need to remedy? The Death and Entombed cds haven't arrived in the post yet either...:(

Bethlehem are more in the personal feeling category than the recognised classic category. But you should definitely at least hear a bit of Dictius Te Necare (I'll try to link a video, but if it doesn't work, you can always youtube it or something) even if only to hear the extraordinary vocals.

To many to list, Google "best metal clean vocals" for instant happiness.
The Shroud Ritual are in the BM (Black Metal) genre but combines many types of metal into his music. The guys on here will probably drop a few suggestions.
You can try these two bands :
https://telepathyband.bandcamp.com
and
https://blood-music.bandcamp.com/album/air
Telepathy are instrumental and Air use clean vocals.
There is another great clean vocal band that escapes me at the moment...although they edge towards a gothic metal....i just can't remember the bands name....
Yes, I understand your dislike of metals vocal style but it is as important to the music as the music itself....that is of course in my humble opinion ;)

Just starting my way through this thread and am impressed with this.
Normally this genre is totally wrecked by shyte vocals IMHO, I really hate the belching/growling thing that goes on.
Any recommendations WITHOUT constant grrrrrrrrrr-ing are very welcome.

Some of my favourites outside of the classics:

Sentenced - Down
Blind Guardian - Imaginations from the Other Side
The Gathering - Mandylion
Solitude Aeturnus - Beyond the Crimson Horizon
Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black
Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine
Katatonia - Tonight's Decision

Bethlehem are more in the personal feeling category than the recognised classic category. But you should definitely at least hear a bit of Dictius Te Necare (I'll try to link a video, but if it doesn't work, you can always youtube it or something) even if only to hear the extraordinary vocals.

I will check this out later when I can get a moment to listen Dave, to noisy here at work ...thanks loads

I remember now!
Impure Wilhelmina "Radiation"
I suppose they aren't gothic tinged at all tbh!
....the old memory isn't what is was.. . ..

advertisement

Back