advertisement

Metal

@egodissolve I see you’ve just bought This Gift Is A Curse - A Throne or Ash.

I had read the AMG review yesterday and listened to the two tracks (Wolvking & Thresholds) that were described as “impenetrable balls of fury and despair”. I was honestly expecting something along the lines of Dodecahedron or Imperial Triumphant, I think the reviewer needs to reassess their record collection if this is considered impenetrable!

P.S. It’s now on my BC wish list.

@egodissolve I see you’ve just bought This Gift Is A Curse - A Throne or Ash.

I had read the AMG review yesterday and listened to the two tracks (Wolvking & Thresholds) that were described as “impenetrable balls of fury and despair”. I was honestly expecting something along the lines of Dodecahedron or Imperial Triumphant, I think the reviewer needs to reassess their record collection if this is considered impenetrable!

P.S. It’s now on my BC wish list.
I didn't know AMG had reviewed it to be honest BMB, it has been on my wishlist since it was announced and purchased it instantly on release. I haven't listened to it yet but on initial evaluation it's more down the line of Phantom Winter (as you know a favourite of mine), I love the aggression and chaos with flutters of melody and structure, its right down my street.
I haven't been reading AMG recently, the reviews haven't interested me and when they do they are a bit OTT and annoyingly miss the point, so I will listen to the This Gift is a Curse and then read the review. Have they reviewed the Panzerfaust?

I haven't been reading AMG recently, the reviews haven't interested me and when they do they are a bit OTT and annoyingly miss the point, so I will listen to the This Gift is a Curse and then read the review. Have they reviewed the Panzerfaust?

Panzerfaust received a reasonably favourable review. I find AMG has its uses, not everything is released via BC, so it’s good for finding out new music released by other means.

Panzerfaust received a reasonably favourable review. I find AMG has its uses, not everything is released via BC, so it’s good for finding out new music released by other means.
My whole world evolves around Bandcamp now BMB! I don't have much time to listen to CDs, everything these days is through my trusty AKG N60NC and Sony phone. Although I have bought CDs recently, obviously the (I need to say it again!) remarkable Deathspell Omega, Dodsferd, Illimitable Dolor, Cerebrum, Swallow the Sun, UR, The Ocean and Clouds.

Edit: enjoying the Panzerfaust!

Going back the AMG BMB I guess I never got over the poorly written reviews of UADA and Wayfarer. They left a bitter taste...

My whole world evolves around Bandcamp now BMB! I don't have much time to listen to CDs, everything these days is through my trusty AKG N60NC and Sony phone. Although I have bought CDs recently, obviously the (I need to say it again!) remarkable Deathspell Omega, Dodsferd, Illimitable Dolor, Cerebrum, Swallow the Sun, UR, The Ocean and Clouds.

Edit: enjoying the Panzerfaust!

At the moment most of my listening is by one of these...
DEWDCR006__45170.1472219774.1280.1280.JPG

...via Bluetooth from my iPod. Even though I have iTunes automatically convert files to MP3 when I sync my iPod I have unfortunately filled it up!:(

At home I usually have a stack of newly acquired CD’s that get played, occasionally I’ll dig some older ones to put on, but most of the time I stream ripped/downloaded files. There’s nothing quite like sitting down and selecting a playlist of albums to see out the evening.

Going back the AMG BMB I guess I never got over the poorly written reviews of UADA and Wayfarer. They left a bitter taste...

There’s nothing quite like holding a grudge!:D

At the moment most of my listening is by one of these...
DEWDCR006__45170.1472219774.1280.1280.JPG

...via Bluetooth from my iPod. Even though I have iTunes automatically convert files to MP3 when I sync my iPod I have unfortunately filled it up!:(

At home I usually have a stack of newly acquired CD’s that get played, occasionally I’ll dig some older ones to put on, but most of the time I stream ripped/downloaded files. There’s nothing quite like sitting down and selecting a playlist of albums to see out the evening.

There’s nothing quite like holding a grudge!:D
I wasn't at all sure, being gullible and all, whether you are actually pulling a fast one on me, then I recall you being the proud owner of a Melco which probably means that the DeWalt is probably more reliable and actually plays back music on demand! :)
As for the "grudge", yep, you got me there. I hold my hand up to that one but AMG were just wrong, so, so wrong :D

@Blackmetalboon
I thought I knew your musical preferences down to our last breath then you throw in the curve ball Embrace of Disharmony; now that surprised me! Reminds me of Rhapsody nursing a Monday morning hangover! Jez, it's actually growing on me :)!

http://embraceofdisharmony.bandcamp.com/album/de-rervm-natvra

I discovered this courtesy of AMG, and to rub salt into the still raw wounds, it scored higher than UADA and Wayfarer!:D:D:D

I do have a soft spot for over-the-top, pompous symphonic metal but I think it’s the distinct vocals that drew me in.

I wasn't at all sure, being gullible and all, whether you are actually pulling a fast one on me, then I recall you being the proud owner of a Melco which probably means that the DeWalt is probably more reliable and actually plays back music on demand! :)
As for the "grudge", yep, you got me there. I hold my hand up to that one but AMG were just wrong, so, so wrong :D

Nope, not pulling a fast one. I use an 64GB iPod with either B&W C5’s or PSB M4U 2 headphones on the move, although the latter are now only fit for the bin, and (when possible) the Dewalt speaker at work. That can add up to almost 11hrs of use some days.

It certainly makes me more appreciative of what I have indoors!

@deek
Give Flesh of the Stars a go, it's NYP and I have had releases from them before and can highly recommend them. I have the feeling you might just like it!

http://fleshofthestars.bandcamp.com/album/mercy

I quite enjoyed that.

Also quite enjoyed giving a slightly lesser known King Diamond album a run through earlier, The Graveyard. Hadn’t played it in ages until the last week or so. And I realised when I gave my GF a quick précis of the story quite how horrible it is!

Just had an email from Rainer Landfermann to say that his album has been released.

Not sure if anyone would remember, but about a year ago I mentioned him and shared a track of what he was up to. It's mental stuff, very off the wall, very inventive. I think it's brilliant.

Anyway, I figured some here might be interested in checking it out. It's here - https://rainerlandfermann.bandcamp.com/

I quite enjoyed that.

Also quite enjoyed giving a slightly lesser known King Diamond album a run through earlier, The Graveyard. Hadn’t played it in ages until the last week or so. And I realised when I gave my GF a quick précis of the story quite how horrible it is!
Glad you liked it Dave, there is something special about FotS that's makes me buy everything they release!

Just had an email from Rainer Landfermann to say that his album has been released.

Not sure if anyone would remember, but about a year ago I mentioned him and shared a track of what he was up to. It's mental stuff, very off the wall, very inventive. I think it's brilliant.

Anyway, I figured some here might be interested in checking it out. It's here - https://rainerlandfermann.bandcamp.com/
I had a quick listen and was certainly surprised but also intrigued...what is it about this guy that stretches, bends and beats metal into submission! I will give it a full run through when I have some time tomorrow...thanks for the heads up.

I just received my copy of the 'art book' version of the Rainer Landfermann album I linked above, and I have to say it's really quite beautiful.

Hand numbered, wrapped in tissue, and then inside, a quite large book with a specially commissioned photograph of a ballerina for each song, intended to convey something about the idea behind the track. And on the facing pages, the (German) lyrics, along with an explanation of the idea in English.

There's a personal touch to the whole project that I suppose threatens to be a bit overbearing or invasive. But I think it's born more of sincerity, a kind of 'from me, to you' presentation of the material. It's all clearly the product of obsessive care, and I really hope it does well for him.

Here's a sample photo of the book:

0016495669_10.jpg

advertisement

Back