advertisement

Metal

It came through my door on Friday with the new Sunn O))), not played either yet. I've not even listened to the new DSO (or anything else for that matter). I might get a chance later this evening or tomorrow.
Know that feeling deek! When you get a moment let me know how you get on with the Earth...

All this talk about Earth has made me dig out the album Hex (can’t remember the last time I played it!), I must have bought it when I was having my post-rock/drone/doom phase.

Just had a WTF moment while listening to a new album...check this song out;

https://werewolfrecords.bandcamp.com/track/race-of-heroes

...could have been the perfect plagiarism crime, if only this blackmetaller didn’t have this in his music collection...

Hmmm, what's more worrying BMB is why you were listening to this Jewel artist in the first place! I hear the similarities but I much prefer the Goatmoon version, it's on a different level altogether! I feel, after listening to the embedded, I need to be cleansed in some way....shiver....

Well, slap my ass with a kipper Drabikowski (ex/real/whichever Batushka) goes and drops a total monster, I bet there is some heads rolling down at Metal Blade headquarters :)
Thanks for the heads up BMB

http://sphieratz.bandcamp.com/album/-

This did appear out of nowhere! Will be queuing this up shortly.

Hmmm, what's more worrying BMB is why you were listening to this Jewel artist in the first place! I hear the similarities but I much prefer the Goatmoon version, it's on a different level altogether! I feel, after listening to the embedded, I need to be cleansed in some way....shiver....

I bought the Jewel album for a girlfriend I was with at the time. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!:p

To be honest, after digging into this a bit more I think owning the Goatmoon album should be considered a worse offence. It popped up on my Bandcamp feed (it’s from the same label as the Vargrav album I bought), the song and album title I listened too were both in Finnish, liked what I heard so bought it.

The track I posted is the final song on the album, I recognised it instantly and posted my earlier comment. I hadn’t actually looked at the track names on the rest of the album until afterwards, let’s just say it’s not hard to see where their political views lie. A quick Google pretty much confirmed that this band are NSBM. I probably would have bought Goatmoon’s back catalogue if it wasn’t for the fact that they’re a bunch of right wing, white supremacists.

This did appear out of nowhere! Will be queuing this up shortly.

I bought the Jewel album for a girlfriend I was with at the time. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!:p

To be honest, after digging into this a bit more I think owning the Goatmoon album should be considered a worse offence. It popped up on my Bandcamp feed (it’s from the same label as the Vargrav album I bought), the song and album title I listened too were both in Finnish, liked what I heard so bought it.

The track I posted is the final song on the album, I recognised it instantly and posted my earlier comment. I hadn’t actually looked at the track names on the rest of the album until afterwards, let’s just say it’s not hard to see where their political views lie. A quick Google pretty much confirmed that this band are NSBM. I probably would have bought Goatmoon’s back catalogue if it wasn’t for the fact that they’re a bunch of right wing, white supremacists.
Ssssoooo, the question still begs why you still have the album? The Inquisition is out...;)
...and who knows, maybe Jewel is a white supremacist, the video does have some moments that could be brought into question :)

Ssssoooo, the question still begs why you still have the album? The Inquisition is out...;)
...and who knows, maybe Jewel is a white supremacist, the video does have some moments that could be brought into question :)

I still have it because there’s nothing like listening to a bit of Jewel after a marathon Whitney Houston session.

I was at the Maryland Deathfest over the weekend, which was nice. Scaled down from the last time I was there to two indoor venues, it was packed out and everyone seemed to be having a whale of a time.

Didn’t get to see some of the bands I’d have liked (partly because of time, and partly because a small riot kicked off between the two venues when Devourment were due on - welcome to Baltimore!). But Naglfar seemed to have a good gig, Deicide were Deicide (ie Benton was fine but flanked by lacklustre nodding guitarists from what I saw). Mortician were ace, though the sound wasn’t ideal and the vocals got a bit lost. It was surprising seeing Scour, as I had no idea who they were, and then Anselmo turned up, but then read his lyrics from a lectern. A bit odd. All in all a good year, I thought, with a lineup a good notch more underground than equivalent European festivals. Baltimore certainly has some social issues, though.

That's formidable Dave, I had only just returned to check up on the thread from reading the MDF review on NCS to read that you were actually there!
Some good acts on show this year, Délétère was one BMB and I have been raving about, the brilliant Vanum, Mortician, Woe, Tomb Mold etc and it looks as though I need to check out Zemial now as well. Did you miss Immolation?

https://www.nocleansinging.com/2019/05/26/checking-in-from-mdf-after-the-first-three-days/

Yeah Zemial were a strange mix of stuff - as they line checked, their singer sounded like Landfermann, but when they started playing there were bits that sounded like Motörhead.

Yeah I missed Immolation as flight delays meant I didn’t get there till about 2am. Thanks, climate change! Can’t win them all.

There's a lot of bands I've not heard of on the MDF - that's my work cut out for tomorrow... And there's also quite a few I didn't realise we're still active, Deicide, Pestilence, DRI, Dropdead (still HC punk are they?), Anselmo too, now there's a blast from the past (for me at least). Zemial sound interesting - based on the 1 Min YouTube clip on my phone.

The Furnaces of Palingenesia - 3rd listen, I'm enjoying this more and more. DSO seem to slowly grow on me rather than hitting you with riffs and blasts that then become unfulfilling.

Zemial - listened to a few of their (his?) early albums on bandcamp - reminded me a bit of Midnight but I don't think I'll listen any further.

The Furnaces of Palingenesia - 3rd listen, I'm enjoying this more and more. DSO seem to slowly grow on me rather than hitting you with riffs and blasts that then become unfulfilling.

Zemial - listened to a few of their (his?) early albums on bandcamp - reminded me a bit of Midnight but I don't think I'll listen any further.
I still haven't had chance to listen to the DSO as I have Misþyrming on constant rotation deek. I must move on but this one has me in an icy grip....

I’m really enjoying the new DSO. Got it playing while I’m playing Destiny 2 at the mo and it’s great.

I’m really enjoying the new DSO. Got it playing while I’m playing Destiny 2 at the mo and it’s great.
First listen tonight when everything is quiet, I noticed on the sleeve notes it's recorded live on analogue equipment...can't wait...

First listen tonight when everything is quiet, I noticed on the sleeve notes it's recorded live on analogue equipment...can't wait...

Without wanting to be too dismissive, the analogue/live thing sounds a bit like virtue signalling to me (somewhat ironically!). It's basically just saying it was made the same way as 90% of all metal albums ever recorded, at least until people started using digital recorders because they were cheaper, and then spent ages trying to get the same sound they'd had with the analogue stuff anyway (i.e. not 'cheating' or anything like that).

More importantly, though, what did you think?

advertisement

Back