advertisement

Metal

I really enjoyed the Rainer Landfermann album, this will definitely be getting more plays. The book/CD package looks good but I try not to buy this kind of thing these days. I just sold a bunch of limited edition punk books that were kept in a box for about 10 years.

On a different (audio related) note: what headphones are folks using? I need a new pair of decent over-ear closed-back cans for use with a MacBook Pro, primarily for rock/metal. I fear that if I ask the wider audience and mention the \M/ word then I'm just gonna be recommended Bose.

I just received my copy of the 'art book' version of the Rainer Landfermann album I linked above, and I have to say it's really quite beautiful.

Hand numbered, wrapped in tissue, and then inside, a quite large book with a specially commissioned photograph of a ballerina for each song, intended to convey something about the idea behind the track. And on the facing pages, the (German) lyrics, along with an explanation of the idea in English.

There's a personal touch to the whole project that I suppose threatens to be a bit overbearing or invasive. But I think it's born more of sincerity, a kind of 'from me, to you' presentation of the material. It's all clearly the product of obsessive care, and I really hope it does well for him.

Here's a sample photo of the book:

0016495669_10.jpg
Its nice to see bands and individuals taking more time and effort compiling these editions, it makes the ownership so much more special and unique. It is always great to get a cd signed by the band.
The most unique cd I purchased was by Suffer Yourself, the cd was in a hand made leather personally signed binder; only 20 were made.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmJ9SU2BQ7Pm61tlPXu84UTxvTuh
The release is on my wishlist Dave, I gave it the once over the other night and it startled me, it is certainly a personal work and pushes boundaries. I will dive in once again this week and see if I come out breathing!

I really enjoyed the Rainer Landfermann album, this will definitely be getting more plays. The book/CD package looks good but I try not to buy this kind of thing these days. I just sold a bunch of limited edition punk books that were kept in a box for about 10 years.

On a different (audio related) note: what headphones are folks using? I need a new pair of decent over-ear closed-back cans for use with a MacBook Pro, primarily for rock/metal. I fear that if I ask the wider audience and mention the \M/ word then I'm just gonna be recommended Bose.
I use Somona Model One headphones for serious listening sessions and AKG N60NC for on the move and general everyday life with a Sony mobile deek.
Re the Somona: I personally found I preferred open type for our beloved metal and a headphone that was as neutral as could be, I don't agree with the metal=bass brigade. The Somona isn't cheap but it does everything right at the right time without any exaggeration. I can't fault it, well I can actually, the cable is a little too stiff and suffers a little from microphonics; so strictly no head banging! I find it doesn't effect my listening habits as the music speaks for itself and I just lose myself in the soundscapes.
Re the AKG: these are noise cancelling, closed types that are Bluetooth. I love them deek! The thing is someone out there will tell me there is something better, yes, I am sure there is but sitting here on the sofa as I write I hear everything I want to hear and I am enjoying everything I hear (Undoer "Survival is a Myth EP" if anyone's interested!). I have no desire to try anything else to be honest. So, there you have it, result happiness for me personally, headphones are so individual, so a home demo is a must.
I did hear someone talking good things about the Focal headphone but I can't comment as I never got to hear one!

I use Somona Model One headphones for serious listening sessions and AKG N60NC for on the move and general everyday life with a Sony mobile deek.
Re the Somona: I personally found I preferred open type for our beloved metal and a headphone that was as neutral as could be, I don't agree with the metal=bass brigade. The Somona isn't cheap but it does everything right at the right time without any exaggeration. I can't fault it, well I can actually, the cable is a little too stiff and suffers a little from microphonics; so strictly no head banging! I find it doesn't effect my listening habits as the music speaks for itself and I just lose myself in the soundscapes.
Re the AKG: these are noise cancelling, closed types that are Bluetooth. I love them deek! The thing is someone out there will tell me there is something better, yes, I am sure there is but sitting here on the sofa as I write I hear everything I want to hear and I am enjoying everything I hear (Undoer "Survival is a Myth EP" if anyone's interested!). I have no desire to try anything else to be honest. So, there you have it, result happiness for me personally, headphones are so individual, so a home demo is a must.
I did hear someone talking good things about the Focal headphone but I can't comment as I never got to hear one!

Cheers @egodissolve, I'll take a look at the AKG. I'd like to try some open headphones but I will be listening at work from a laptop. I don't need to spend a lot here.

Thumbs up for the Flesh of the Stars by the way. I've not listened to their other albums yet. A good late night listen, that's when doom is best enjoyed.

I have waited patiently for my monthly pay cheque and when it eventually landed immediately purchased Towering.

http://toweringofficial.bandcamp.com/album/obscuring-manifestation

This is one of those gems that Bandcamp digs up from the depths of hell. Its a great mix of death with a dash of black that just kicks ass. I have to scream about these guys, it's bloody brilliant!

This has been in my BC wishlist for a while, for some reason I thought it still hadn’t been released! I’ll be buying it when I do my next bunch of purchases.

@egodissolve you recommended Airengrav’s album to me earlier this year and slowly this has really grown on me to the point it’s getting some serious rotation. I know we’re only just over halfway through the year but this is a definite for my AOTY list.

I’ve also been playing quite a few purchases from last year (I’ve had times over the last month that I can listen to music almost all day at work) several of which I had underestimated just how much I enjoyed them. Two that spring to mind are Anicon - Entropy Mantra (the latter half of the album is quality, ending with the strong and catchy track Paling Terrain) & Wallfaher - Anthology Der Abkher. Sometimes it really does take time to get into a vibe of an album.

And so @Dave***t doesn’t feel left out, I got strange looks when a work colleague walked into the workshop as I’m “singing” the line “Who gives a f*** if your enemy's starving”!

And so @Dave***t doesn’t feel left out, I got strange looks when a work colleague walked into the workshop as I’m “singing” the line “Who gives a f*** if your enemy's starving”!

I’ve done similar on numerous occasions. Back when I was working in security, I remember being in a gatehouse, nipping to the loo in the next room whilst very loudly singing Arcturus’ Fall of Man (check it out if it’s not familiar!), and then walking out to find two small ladies stood waiting at the desk. Oops.

@egodissolve you recommended Airengrav’s album to me earlier this year and slowly this has really grown on me to the point it’s getting some serious rotation. I know we’re only just over halfway through the year but this is a definite for my AOTY list.

I’ve also been playing quite a few purchases from last year (I’ve had times over the last month that I can listen to music almost all day at work) several of which I had underestimated just how much I enjoyed them. Two that spring to mind are Anicon - Entropy Mantra (the latter half of the album is quality, ending with the strong and catchy track Paling Terrain) & Wallfaher - Anthology Der Abkher. Sometimes it really does take time to get into a vibe of an album.

3 very fine bands J. I wholeheartedly agree!

advertisement

Back