advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part XXVI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
John, thank you again for the offer.
Based on the above, I will send my unit without power brick to you immediately.
Hopefully, it will not take many moments of your time.

I believe I have your address in my message inbox somewhere. I trust it is still the same?

Yes, same address :)

Quick question (hopefully). Can a passive pre amp between MDAC and power amp resolve the AVbypass issue? I would like to connect the av receiver to the power amp and keep MDAC as pre for the digital audio sources at the same time. I don't want to buy a active pre with AV bypass or an amp switch (Beresford).

ManMan,
The AV bypass of the MDAC2 (or MPAX) is designed so that you could include a MDAC2 between a preamplifier (stereo preamp or preamp section of an AV receiver, both of which providevolume control) and a two channel amplifier. The idea being that the MDAC can be bypassed with other analog (AV) sources, while taking over, including for volume control functions- for two channel digital playback.

Adding a pre amp (passive or not) between the MDAC2 and an amp defeats the purpose of the AV bypass but there should be no need for a preamplifer if you already have an AV receiver

ManMan,
The AV bypass of the MDAC2 (or MPAX) is designed so that you could include a MDAC2 between a preamplifier (stereo preamp or preamp section of an AV receiver, both of which providevolume control) and a two channel amplifier. The idea being that the MDAC can be bypassed with other analog (AV) sources, while taking over, including for volume control functions- for two channel digital playback.

Adding a pre amp (passive or not) between the MDAC2 and an amp defeats the purpose of the AV bypass but there should be no need for a preamplifer if you already have an AV receiver

The MDAC2 is still in design stage and the upgrade cost will be around £400-500 so I cannot take this route. I was thinking the av receiver (pre out) can be connected to a power amp via passive pre bypassing the MDAC. My original plan was connecting AV receiver and MDAC to a passive pre amp which is connected to the power amp. By changing pre amp selectors I can allow either the av signal or mdac signal (pre/dac) to go to power amp. Is this not possible?

Comforting to know I am not alone... ;)

Renata's just retuned from sending your unit :)

Yesterday, before shipping we listened to two MDAC's, a standard and a Fusion'ed unit both of which where black and your unit Fusion’ed Silver MDAC – and guess what! once again your unit (a silver unit) sound noticeably better, certainly one of the best MDAC’s we have heard.

I hate for people to believe I’m going mad concerning my observations of sonic differences between the Black / Silver units - but the silver units are constantly better, I know this just sounds crazy and believe me I wish I understood why!

I’ve also added improvements the Clock PSU so yours, SQ and Jarip are the first to include this latest modifications.

With all the improvements there is now an even greater difference between Fusion and non Fusion units – in light of this and the fact that the MDAC2 is realistically going to be at least 6 months away, and I’m now having to totally rebuild the MDAC’s anyway (due to the level of rebuild, adding the Fusion resistors now only adds an hour or so extra work) – so I’ll upgrade everyone’s MDAC to full Fusion spec. (for those who has the full set of resistors with me here in CZ) – so at least you can get to enjoy the full “Fusion’ed” MDAC experience for the next 6 months (or so!!!!) until MDAC2 :)

Since 2 weeks I am listening to my fusioned MDAC and I would like to tell you about my listening experiences. The writing took a bit longer because my English is not the best.

My expectations were high - but I did not expect this big improvement. The performance has increased in all aspects: huge soundstage (especially in width), more "air" around instruments, moore resolution, cleanness and speed ... The depth and the quality of the bass are extraordinary. The trebles have more energy but they are smooth and never sound harsh or "digital". Also the mids have won: voices are very expressive and the tone color of the instruments have increased and instruments sounds "bigger" than before and thus more realistic. All in all it is a very analog sound with a lot of energy and live character.

The improvements are not subtle - they are clearly audible. The MDAC plays very well via SPDIF  - but via USB the performance has an almost magical quality and the music is very relaxing, with plenty of warmth. I can not imagine what the MDAC2 board can still improve ;-)

Some samples in detail:

Paul Simon - Diamonds in the Soles of her Shoes (Graceland, 16/44.1)
The Voices of the vocal group Ladysmith Black Mambazo in the beginning of the track are clearly staggered in width and depth, the voices are very well separated, with lots of "air" around each singer. Drums and percussions are very dynamic, with lots of energy, very clean and fast.

Laurie Anderson - Bodies in Motion (Homeland, 16/44.1)
Here it is the extremely deep synthetic bass line that instantly impresses. So deep and controlled at the same time I have never heard it before. There is a huge stage (in width and depth) and the warm playback of Laurie's voice which is stuck in the middle of the room is very impressive. The saxophone circles in the listening room - you feel like listening to a surround set.

Peter Gabriel - Red Rain (So, 24/48)
For the first time the trebles sounds pleasant and harmoniously integrated into the music. Peter's voice is expressive and natural. There is a deep and controlled bass. Previously the track was almost inaudible for me and sounded digital and harsh.

Michel Godard - Monteverdi: A trace of a grace (24/96)
This album combines early Baroque music and jazz in an experimental manner. The tracks have been recorded live in an old French monastery with only two microphones. The acoustic of the old building is clearly noticeable. Every little detail of the voice of the singer can be heard. All instruments are rendered very clean and realistic. Michel Godard plays the Serpent - an ancient wind instrument - and while playing he did some little movements to the right and the left. This slight rotation of the instrument you can clearly hear.

Mediterranean Sundance (Friday Night in San Francisco, 24/96)
Extremely clear soundstage with plenty of attack and power. The guitars of Al Di Meola and de Lucia have much "air" around. The sound is very natural, very "analog". The performance is better than with my Linn LP 12.

Thank you very much John for this great work!

Best regards,
Uwe

With all the improvements there is now an even greater difference between Fusion and non Fusion units – in light of this and the fact that the MDAC2 is realistically going to be at least 6 months away, and I’m now having to totally rebuild the MDAC’s anyway (due to the level of rebuild, adding the Fusion resistors now only adds an hour or so extra work) – so I’ll upgrade everyone’s MDAC to full Fusion spec. (for those who has the full set of resistors with me here in CZ) – so at least you can get to enjoy the full “Fusion’ed” MDAC experience for the next 6 months (or so!!!!) until MDAC2 :) …

That's brilliant. Thanks John. :)

- Richard

With all the improvements there is now an even greater difference between Fusion and non Fusion units – in light of this and the fact that the MDAC2 is realistically going to be at least 6 months away, and I’m now having to totally rebuild the MDAC’s anyway (due to the level of rebuild, adding the Fusion resistors now only adds an hour or so extra work) – so I’ll upgrade everyone’s MDAC to full Fusion spec. (for those who has the full set of resistors with me here in CZ) – so at least you can get to enjoy the full “Fusion’ed” MDAC experience for the next 6 months (or so!!!!) until MDAC2 :) …

Hi John,
If it's okay with you I'll order the full set of Fusion resistors when I get back from the holidays in September, I would very much like my unit to be Fusioned too. I hope it's not too late, I guess my unit should be the last one in your "stack" as it is the bad multicomp resistor one I recently sent back to you, so I hope the wait for the resistors won't be a problem. If they arrive too late I guess you can just use them for the MDAC2 board... :)

Thanks John... your report on the latest version improvement and Uwe's observations are all great news. I do hope that the pile of MDACs to upgrade is going down fast.

Since 2 weeks I am listening to my fusioned MDAC and I would like to tell you about my listening experiences. The writing took a bit longer because my English is not the best.

My expectations were high - but I did not expect this big improvement. The performance has increased in all aspects: huge soundstage (especially in width), more "air" around instruments, moore resolution, cleanness and speed ... The depth and the quality of the bass are extraordinary. The trebles have more energy but they are smooth and never sound harsh or "digital". Also the mids have won: voices are very expressive and the tone color of the instruments have increased and instruments sounds "bigger" than before and thus more realistic. All in all it is a very analog sound with a lot of energy and live character.

The improvements are not subtle - they are clearly audible. The MDAC plays very well via SPDIF  - but via USB the performance has an almost magical quality and the music is very relaxing, with plenty of warmth. I can not imagine what the MDAC2 board can still improve ;-)

Some samples in detail:

Paul Simon - Diamonds in the Soles of her Shoes (Graceland, 16/44.1)
The Voices of the vocal group Ladysmith Black Mambazo in the beginning of the track are clearly staggered in width and depth, the voices are very well separated, with lots of "air" around each singer. Drums and percussions are very dynamic, with lots of energy, very clean and fast.

Laurie Anderson - Bodies in Motion (Homeland, 16/44.1)
Here it is the extremely deep synthetic bass line that instantly impresses. So deep and controlled at the same time I have never heard it before. There is a huge stage (in width and depth) and the warm playback of Laurie's voice which is stuck in the middle of the room is very impressive. The saxophone circles in the listening room - you feel like listening to a surround set.

Peter Gabriel - Red Rain (So, 24/48)
For the first time the trebles sounds pleasant and harmoniously integrated into the music. Peter's voice is expressive and natural. There is a deep and controlled bass. Previously the track was almost inaudible for me and sounded digital and harsh.

Michel Godard - Monteverdi: A trace of a grace (24/96)
This album combines early Baroque music and jazz in an experimental manner. The tracks have been recorded live in an old French monastery with only two microphones. The acoustic of the old building is clearly noticeable. Every little detail of the voice of the singer can be heard. All instruments are rendered very clean and realistic. Michel Godard plays the Serpent - an ancient wind instrument - and while playing he did some little movements to the right and the left. This slight rotation of the instrument you can clearly hear.

Mediterranean Sundance (Friday Night in San Francisco, 24/96)
Extremely clear soundstage with plenty of attack and power. The guitars of Al Di Meola and de Lucia have much "air" around. The sound is very natural, very "analog". The performance is better than with my Linn LP 12.

Thank you very much John for this great work!

Best regards,
Uwe

Hi Uwe

Good to see yet another person enjoying their upgraded M-DAC.

Out of curiosity, I decided to have a listen to the Laurie Anderson track via Grooveshark (so not full 16/44.1 'goodness') and was surprised to clearly hear the bass as you describe.

Maybe you just played the track louder than usual.

I also clearly heard another voice joining Laurie's on and off from about half way through the track (which you don't mention).

To my ears, the saxophone was 'panning' in stereo and didn't feel like I was listening to a surround set.

FYI, my M-DAC is original, Silver and as some of us know (including JW) they tend to sound a little better than the Black version.

What colour is yours?

Renata's just retuned from sending your unit :)

Yesterday, before shipping we listened to two MDAC's, a standard and a Fusion'ed unit both of which where black and your unit Fusion’ed Silver MDAC – and guess what! once again your unit (a silver unit) sound noticeably better, certainly one of the best MDAC’s we have heard.

I hate for people to believe I’m going mad concerning my observations of sonic differences between the Black / Silver units - but the silver units are constantly better, I know this just sounds crazy and believe me I wish I understood why!

I’ve also added improvements the Clock PSU so yours, SQ and Jarip are the first to include this latest modifications.

John, thank you for this wonderful news. When I read the email from Renata informing me of the shipment, I felt as if I have already received my upgraded MDAC! It will be about two weeks before the MDAC finally makes it way to me via the mail forwarding service from the UK. I will let it run in for a week, and then post my feedback. Rest assured that your labor of love will take pride of place in my system, and will be enjoyed for a very very long time :)

Leon

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back