advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part XXVI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ManMan,
The AV bypass of the MDAC2 (or MPAX) is designed so that you could include a MDAC2 between a preamplifier (stereo preamp or preamp section of an AV receiver, both of which providevolume control) and a two channel amplifier. The idea being that the MDAC can be bypassed with other analog (AV) sources, while taking over, including for volume control functions- for two channel digital playback.

Adding a pre amp (passive or not) between the MDAC2 and an amp defeats the purpose of the AV bypass but there should be no need for a preamplifer if you already have an AV receiver

Eiffel, does the pre amp/av receiver that you feed into the mdac av bypass need to have some kind of 2 channel output, pre outs or something like that, to work? I looked into doing something similar with plugging my av receiver into my stereo amp so that I could use my best speakers for music and movies. My av receiver didn't have pre outs though so I had to go for a speaker switch instead. So in short, with the av bypass option being available, I guess I still have to go with the speaker switch route now unless I change my av receiver?

therixonator, as your av receiver doesn't have some 2 channel line outputs you will indeed need a speaker switch.

I posted a couple of days ago but i am afraid it might have been missed, in attempt to not sound like i am nagging i hope someone can help me.

As a new owner of the m-dac i am hoping someone can tell me what the filters relate to in the signal processing, are the filters digital Low pass filters and each one different to their own.
If so can anyone elaborate in more detail for me ?.

Thanks.

There's a filter thread here http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=112355
There have been posts from John in the past with some more details, but I've found the PFM search isn't very good at finding stuff, better to just Google e.g. from this page http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-109115.html a quote from John:
Hi Basil,
Tone Controls may or may not be bad... But the Digital filters are NOT tone controls, there is very little differences between the in-band response of the filters – their differences are related to the FS-half transition band and their Time domain response’s.
In fact their’s ZERO difference between Optimal transient and Optimal transient XD filters in frequency AND time domain response - yet they sound clearly different.

Hopefully a couple of Chinese girls (daughters of IAG captains maybe?) will need a lift to/from their posh school from/to a house far far away on the odd weekend and at half-term. This will be my pledge money :)

Has the software update support now ceased for this device?

It's been sometime since one was released.

Ta

The clock locking facility would enable luddites like me to optimise our transport/MDAC arrangements. It would also give John the option of shelving the MTRN and/or seeing if there is sufficient market demand for it ahead of spending time and money on R & D for a product that few people may need.

My personal view is that computer audio still has some way to go to equal an optimised disc transport. Even non-clock locked, my Rega Apollo R sounds slightly more natural and less grainy with female vocals, for example, than a friend's fully optimised PC.

If the MTRN is going to be more than just a disc transport and work as a streamer as well, it will take some time to develop in a changing market place although such versalitity would offset additional development time against an element of future proofing.

In the meantime, an interim clock-locking solution for a basket of transports is what will enable Lakewest MDAC users to get the very best out of what is an excellent product.

All imho of course :)

Renata's just retuned from sending your unit :)

Yesterday, before shipping we listened to two MDAC's, a standard and a Fusion'ed unit both of which where black and your unit Fusion’ed Silver MDAC – and guess what! once again your unit (a silver unit) sound noticeably better, certainly one of the best MDAC’s we have heard.

I hate for people to believe I’m going mad concerning my observations of sonic differences between the Black / Silver units - but the silver units are constantly better, I know this just sounds crazy and believe me I wish I understood why!

I’ve also added improvements the Clock PSU so yours, SQ and Jarip are the first to include this latest modifications.

With all the improvements there is now an even greater difference between Fusion and non Fusion units – in light of this and the fact that the MDAC2 is realistically going to be at least 6 months away, and I’m now having to totally rebuild the MDAC’s anyway (due to the level of rebuild, adding the Fusion resistors now only adds an hour or so extra work) – so I’ll upgrade everyone’s MDAC to full Fusion spec. (for those who has the full set of resistors with me here in CZ) – so at least you can get to enjoy the full “Fusion’ed” MDAC experience for the next 6 months (or so!!!!) until MDAC2 :) …

John
Can you confirm that you have recieved my resistors from HFC and that this will therefore apply to my unit?
Cheers
Ian

Thanks for your help jam jar, it seems that it is in fact related to the anti imaging filter. It's amazing how the digital implantation affects the audio like this.

John
Can you confirm that you have recieved my resistors from HFC and that this will therefore apply to my unit?
Cheers
Ian

Hi Ian,

I could be wrong, but I only seem to have "Toy" resitors for your unit - not Fusion?

I've no problem to upgrade any unit to Fusion spec solong as I have the resistors.

IMO Fusion well worth the extra cost.

Thanks for your help jam jar, it seems that it is in fact related to the anti imaging filter. It's amazing how the digital implantation affects the audio like this.

Just out of interest, can you hear a differance between Optimal Transiant and Optimal Transiant XD?

Has the software update support now ceased for this device?

It's been sometime since one was released.

Ta

No, but there’s been nothing new to add at this time - A0.8 & A.10 are the latest... (there are a few little bugs, but nothing of any major consequence)

Dear John,

yes - of course I meant "analogue", not "analog"...
I am very curious about the mdac2!!!

Uwe,

Thank you so much for a wonderful write-up, as you know these units have been my own personal nightmare, and I’m delighted when it appears that the effort has been rewarded.

Above all, I’m happy that you are able to hear in your system the predominant sonic “nuances” that we hear in our lab system – I smile when I read your description because it very much relates to the sonic characteristics that have proved so challenging to achieve :) – now I believe you can understand why I used the words “analogue” to describe the sound of the Fusion’ed MDAC’s :)

As for MDAC2, well I had to make a lot of difficult “compromises” to achieve your units SQ – I believe that with the new design I will be able to achieve even more :)

John , while the subject of resistors has been raised ,I paid for full fusion from Hifi collective and assumed they have all arrived ok. As we were waiting for the remaining fusion ones.

Cheers . (Back from hols)

Edit.. Just noticed post office missed delivery card , wouldn't be the Mdac would it, or is it still in cz?

Not the one I'm following @ £1900

I sent you a PM with the link to the ad I had been watching: £1750 and freshly serviced.
P.s.: I am in no way involved with the seller, do not know him, nor guarantee for him, etc.., and I don't even live in the same Country!:D

Hi Ian,

I could be wrong, but I only seem to have "Toy" resitors for your unit - not Fusion?

I've no problem to upgrade any unit to Fusion spec solong as I have the resistors.

IMO Fusion well worth the extra cost.
John
I ordered the full fusion kit from HFC and I got an order update on 5 August saying the remaining 24 resistors had been dispatched. I've forwarded the email to Renata. Please can you double check you haven't received them.
Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back