advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part XXVI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see how this
If anything in a recording is spotlit it suggests an issue in the time and/or frequency domain.
explains either of these:
<snip>
trained mastering engineers would tell you why.
It normally means something is being spotlighted by a problem.
Trained mastering engineers would tell you why?
Something is being spotlighted by a problem?

Daryl's reply was a quote from something which tries to explain the difference between 'detail' and 'resolution'.

What are trained recording engineers going to tell me?
What are 'something' and 'a problem'?
Any references to these?

A month has passed since i asked last time, so its fair to ask once more :). JohnW, what is the status with the MDAC upgrades?

There will be no more Mdac upgrades once the current batch that are sat on John's desk is done. He's shipping a few of those units out tomorrow, mine included, I believe there are a couple still left to complete, but already in John's possession.

There will be no more Mdac upgrades once the current batch that are sat on John's desk is done. He's shipping a few of those units out tomorrow, mine included, I believe there are a couple still left to complete, but already in John's possession.

I know there are no more new upgrades, but my M-DAC is on John's desk too. It has been there for almost three months now. That is why I was asking. A month ago the status was that my "turn" was during the next 6-10 M-DACs or so. I was wondering what is the status now.

Mine has been there since May, so don't worry you've not been slipped past in the queue. You've actually managed to wait it out until the final revision of mods has been decided on and you get all the latest component choices and the best mods applied to your unit.

These things take time. John time is usually about 3x real world time.. ;-)

Mine has been there since May, so don't worry you've not been slipped past in the queue. You've actually managed to wait it out until the final revision of mods has been decided on and you get all the latest component choices and the best mods applied to your unit.

+1 Mine's been gathering dust since end of April, so nearly 4 months. Yeah you're right last is not necessarily least, maybe it's even best!!! I think what might help is if we had a running order shown here i.e. the owners in the next 5 for delivery this week, and the order of play after that when John's planning 3 a week while working on MDAC2 so we at least know roughly when X ships mine is next, etc.

Let me say it's fantastically appreciated the amount of effort John has made to solve the problems he has come up against which nobody anticipated.

Does it even matter? The 5V rail is not powering MDAC. I even disconnected this rail and MDAC works perfectly well. You can try for yourself (easiest way is to rip off one pin of the USB isolator :D), but I don't think this will make much difference...

PS: Did you try MDAC with a PC?

I tried this the other day and I get a buzzing noise when I play music, any idea why? I have ground loop problems and I'm removing grounds to try to get around it.

Hi guys new owner here after being recommended by a friend.
I have been doing some research and hope someone can help me with a few tihngs.

The filters associated with the m-dac, are they related to the reconstruction filter of the dac ?. If so in what way are these filters doing, are they digitally low pass filtering differently to eachother?.

Thanks.

Hear, hear .. I check my e-mails every morning in anticipation of a shipping advice haha.. its going to be so good !

+1 Mine's been gathering dust since end of April, so nearly 4 months. Yeah you're right last is not necessarily least, maybe it's even best!!!

Hear, hear .. I check my e-mails every morning in anticipation of a shipping advice haha.. its going to be so good !

Comforting to know I am not alone... ;)

OH NO!!
My M-DAC has died on me once again.
I was one of the first batch of adopters for the then called "Sovereign" update package offered by John, as my M-DAC suffered from the infamous dead crystal problem, preventing it from ever turning on. John was kind enough to offer to repair and upgrade my M-DAC.

Now, it seems it has come back. I went to turn it on this afternoon and nothing happened other than the clicks of the relays in another order than normal. After some time the display comes on but says only "Lake West - no comms".

Does anyone have an idea of what I can do? I will try to re-flash the firmware, but that got me no-where last time unfortunately.

'No comms' is either the wire to the front panel has come out, unlikely, or the crystal on the front panel has failed- 99% likely to be this.

The thing has only been moved once since I got it last year, so I highly doubt that the cable is to blame, but thank you for the suggestion.
I tried coupling it with my Mac via USB but with no luck. The firmware flasher cannot find the dac because I cannot switch the dac to its USB input.

It seems I will have to find out how my dealers warranty is like. I'm guessing I will receive a new unmodified M-DAC, but I can't complain over that, as that will likely just void my warranty :)

OH NO!!
My M-DAC has died on me once again.
I was one of the first batch of adopters for the then called "Sovereign" update package offered by John, as my M-DAC suffered from the infamous dead crystal problem, preventing it from ever turning on. John was kind enough to offer to repair and upgrade my M-DAC.

Now, it seems it has come back. I went to turn it on this afternoon and nothing happened other than the clicks of the relays in another order than normal. After some time the display comes on but says only "Lake West - no comms".

Does anyone have an idea of what I can do? I will try to re-flash the firmware, but that got me no-where last time unfortunately.

You will have to send your unti to me to take alook at your unit - I cannot recall what I did with your unit - did I change the crystal? anyway just send it over and I repair the issue.

You will have to send your unti to me to take alook at your unit - I cannot recall what I did with your unit - did I change the crystal? anyway just send it over and I repair the issue.

John, thank you for the offer, but I couldn't possibly accept that, as I've seen on these threads how busy you are at the moment. EDIT: I read my post after posting it, and felt the need to emphasize that I mean this in the most positive manner possible. It is very kind of you to offer to repair my unit.

You changed the crystal plus some other parts, that had a nice effect on SQ, especially in the lower ranges. I cannot recall either what it was exactly that you did, but it worked :D

John, thank you for the offer, but I couldn't possibly accept that, as I've seen on these threads how busy you are at the moment. EDIT: I read my post after posting it, and felt the need to emphasize that I mean this in the most positive manner possible. It is very kind of you to offer to repair my unit.

You changed the crystal plus some other parts, that had a nice effect on SQ, especially in the lower ranges. I cannot recall either what it was exactly that you did, but it worked :D

As I've worked on the unit the dealer is not going to repair your unit - repairs are quick - its the updates that take the time, so its not problem.

If indeed I replaced the crystal and its gone once again - then this would indicate something is wrong with the clock circuit (overdriving the crystal) - that I messed the first time around.

As I've worked on the unit the dealer is not going to repair your unit - repairs are quick - its the updates that take the time, so its not problem.

If indeed I replaced the crystal and its gone once again - then this would indicate something is wrong with the clock circuit (overdriving the crystal) - that I messed the first time around.

John, thank you again for the offer.
Based on the above, I will send my unit without power brick to you immediately.
Hopefully, it will not take many moments of your time.

I believe I have your address in my message inbox somewhere. I trust it is still the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back