advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XXIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I have a problem - a few minutes ago I switched headphones in the headphone output and now I am getting no sound from the headphone output with neither of the two. Other output are just fine. Could it be my M-DAC's headphone amp blew out?

Please, help!!

Hey guys,

I have a problem - a few minutes ago I switched headphones in the headphone output and now I am getting no sound from the headphone output with neither of the two. Other output are just fine. Could it be my M-DAC's headphone amp blew out?

Please, help!!

Have you tried re-booting the MDAC?

Have you tried re-booting the MDAC?

Yes, several times. The sound did return for a while, but after unplugging and re-plugging the headhpnes, the problem reappeared. I tried updating the firmware to the latest version, but no go so far.

Is this the sticky relay fault.
That needs some gentle persuasion.

Have thought of that, but define persuasion. :D

Oh and I am getting Flusshing buffer messages when using the volume control.

If u can do a simple soldering, cheapest is DIY. What headphone are u using? I did mine for my hd600, lcd2 and hd800.

Mav

Might stop vibration but also the ventilation.
So anyone have any suggestions on best place for balanced headphone cables without going silly prices?

Stuck relay issue. Try exercise them by plug in and out and see if it gets better.

Mav

Yes, several times. The sound did return for a while, but after unplugging and re-plugging the headhpnes, the problem reappeared. I tried updating the firmware to the latest version, but no go so far.

Have thought of that, but define persuasion. :D

If u can do a simple soldering, cheapest is DIY. What headphone are u using? I did mine for my hd600, lcd2 and hd800.

Mav

Thanks not the best at soldering but would give it go ...
Haven't bought headphones yet.. Opened up a thread so not to clutter this one. Thanks for your reply.

At 4 or 5 pages a day, this thread gets difficult to follow for some of us.

Here's a suggestion: Maybe we should have two or three threads.

- This one as it is.
- A second one exclusively for the units being upgraded and test results
- A third one, read only, with current upgrade options that could be the one already on the sales section: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=136892

Michael

Yes, several times. The sound did return for a while, but after unplugging and re-plugging the headphones.

Sticky headphone relay - I can replace your relay when I upgrade your unit (If I recall correclty you where interested in having your unit upgraded).

Oh and I am getting Flushing buffer messages when using the volume control.

Flushing buffer messages are related to your PC or the USB Host device:-

Certain USB3 ports or Drivers (try a different USB port on your PC)

PC software settings / System resources...

John, any chance of getting me into the waiting list? I tried to PM you, but no reply so far :-(

tunkejazz,

I'm sorry - I've not been checking my PM Box - its always full, I free a few spaces and its gets "blitzed" within a few hours!

I've had my head down working odd hours ATM on the upgrades.

I've added you to the list - Thank you :)

Sticky headphone relay - I can replace your relay when I upgrade your unit (If I recall correclty you where interested in having your unit upgraded).

Flushing buffer messages are related to your PC or the USB Host device:-

Certain USB3 ports or Drivers (try a different USB port on your PC)

PC software settings / System resources...

Thanks John,

yeah, you're quite right, I am on the L@ upgrade list, though I've seen some additional options popped up.
I'll leave you a note regarding the relay when I send my unit un for the upgrade. Well, some wating for me is up, then... :D

For balanced headphone users, I can offer too fit a 5pin XLR (the 5pin XLR seems to be the standard for Balanced headphone use).

The Rear panel 5Pin XLR is enabled by inserting a headphone or dummy adaptor jack in the front panel headphone socket – this will enable the rear headphone outputs.

If the rear panel headphone jack is not used, then the front panel headphone jack operates as normal.

The Blanced headphone jack is a little Micky mouse as I have to hand drill the rear panel – and there will be no label / printing indicating the new Jacks function.

The Balanced headphone jack cannot be fitted with the AV bypass option (the connectors are fitted in the same location on the MDAC’s rear panel).

The Balanced XLR option is priced at an additional GBP60 – mainly due to the time involved…

Regarding balanced headphones, it seems it ought to be possible to build a cable (from 5pin XLR or 2 three-pin XLRs) to fit the many Sennheiser headphones which use their standard 2 pin connectors per side.

The connectors are readily available for Cardas or ebay (http://www.partsconnexion.com/connectors_head_cardas.html), but I'm wondering what 'thin' cable to use. Has anyone tried to do so?

Hi John,

I will be very interested in such an option. I am no expert on balanced headphone connectors but (for personal reasons as I own a Sennheiser HD800) Sennseiser is going with a 4pin XLR in their headphone amps and will be selling their own 4-pin XLR headphone cables for HD650, HD700 and HD800. Another headphone amp that uses 4pin XLR is the Bryston BHA-1 Balanced Headphone Amplifier. Yet another is from Audio-gd. What do you think? Is there an industry standard way to wire a 4pin stereo balanced out (I see some online posts reference the AKG K1000 4pin wiring)?

See:
http://en-de.sennheiser.com/news/th...-pleasure-the-new-sennheiser-high-end-cables-
http://bryston.com/products/power_amps/BHA-1.html
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB20/NFB20EN.htm

Regards,
Leon

For balanced headphone users, I can offer too fit a 5pin XLR (the 5pin XLR seems to be the standard for Balanced headphone use).

The Rear panel 5Pin XLR is enabled by inserting a headphone or dummy adaptor jack in the front panel headphone socket – this will enable the rear headphone outputs.

If the rear panel headphone jack is not used, then the front panel headphone jack operates as normal.

The Blanced headphone jack is a little Micky mouse as I have to hand drill the rear panel – and there will be no label / printing indicating the new Jacks function.

The Balanced headphone jack cannot be fitted with the AV bypass option (the connectors are fitted in the same location on the MDAC’s rear panel).

The Balanced XLR option is priced at an additional GBP60 – mainly due to the time involved…

The idea about 5-pin XLR on the back of MDAC actually comes from me, so I should probably explain why I wanted 5-pin instead of 4-pin.

I wrote that it's used by stereo microphones, particulary the higher-end ones.

For balanced headphones, there's no standard or even "common practice" when it comes to cabling or connectors. The only common denominator seems to be XLR.

1. The dual 3-pin XLR (male!) comes from headphone.com (and their HeadRoom amp(s?)). You can't easily connect those to ie. unmodified MDAC without a 3-pin XLR(female)-XLR(female) convertor.
  2. Then there's a small 4-pin square-like connector used by some portable DAC+amp boxes, like the SR-71B.
  3. A lot of DIY setups use 4-pin XLRs or miniXLRs.
  4. I've seen people using all sorts of connectors, like small 1/8" TRRS jack, dual 1/4" TRS jacks, ...

The reason why I wanted to comply with the "stereo microphone" 5-pin XLR way is that I like generic solutions. The cable I bought has a shield, which I'd like to ground, but besides that - I want to have a fully-capable balanced stereo output not just for the headphones. I can imagine myself buying smaller desktop active speakers/monitors and connecting them (via a DIY-made 5-pin to dual 3-pin cable) to the "headphone" output on MDAC, so I could switch between those and the main amps+speakers using dummy front jack.
My current use case is headphones, but I don't want to be limited by the lack of ground if I ever need to use the socket for something else.

Plus, using 5-pin XLR (ground, L+, L-, R+, R-) is the best generic solution according to common sense. At least in cases where two 3-pin XLRs can't be fitted due to size restrictions.

That's basically the story behind 5-pin XLR on MDAC (unless John created a standard for balanced headphones using 5-pin female XLR plug). :)

I'm not John, but I believe that if you ask him nicely, he would offer the 4-pin socket variant as well, unless it's more complicated than leaving the ground unconnected. If not, then ... well, at least blame me, not him.

The connectors are readily available for Cardas or ebay (http://www.partsconnexion.com/connectors_head_cardas.html), but I'm wondering what 'thin' cable to use. Has anyone tried to do so?
I'll be using a Neutrik 5-pin plug (already bought it) and Mogami 2893 cable. At 4.8mm, it's reasonably thin for me. You may also use ie. VanDamme XKE Miniature Starquad if you manage to find a dealer, I didn't.
There are also many "classic" quadcore cables that people tend to use on balanced headphones, but they're just too stiff and heavy for me. Some people use dual 2core leads and pair them using some kind of net-like elastic tube, so the cable looks like the £10000 ones. :)

edit: For two separate phones, you might want to use something like Mogami W3106, probably a thinner variant of it.

(no, I'm not a Mogami dealer, they're just easy to find on Google :D )

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back