advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could be wrong but I read from John's post (#842) that both versions would be based on V0.90, so not sure what you are referring to.

Yes - exactly, sorry for my poor use of English!

Both will be based upon V0.90.

As we are unaware as to the cause of the sound quality differences between the software releases we are taking a "staggered" approach to the builds.

A0.90 should be close to V0.90 with A0.90+ having additional features.

I use the word "Should" with hesitation as I've yet to "seriously" listen to any of new builds - I've a cold and flue combined with a limited resolution system. - but I'll be building up some MOSFET Amplifiers soon :)

John

If you're serious you'll need a pair... Run in bridged mode!

That's what I'm thinking.

If bought as a pair, do you think they would be matched and balanced (rather than possibly needing to use the MDAC balance control)?

Another consideration for me is running costs (as my amp is on, on average, around 300hours a month).

At idle/low/medium volume it uses approx. 50watts when first switched on.

This goes down to approx 35watts after 20 mins or so.

A proportionate 25% increase would be 63watt and 44watts respectively.

Would be interesting to know the actual figures when John has them available.

Optimal Transient XD for me :)

I tried & tried with Optimal Transient XD, but it narrowed the field of sound considerably.

I'm running a pair of B&W 805 Signatures with a Bel canto REF 150s Power Amp & the M-Dac XLR. Standard M-Dac setting.

Strange how we all prefer different sound reproduction. No right or wrong - Just choice :)

I tried & tried with Optimal Transient XD, but it narrowed the field of sound considerably.

I'm running a pair of B&W 805 Signatures with a Bel canto REF 150s Power Amp & the M-Dac XLR. Standard M-Dac setting.

Strange how we all prefer different sound reproduction. No right or wrong - Just choice :)

And very system dependent - that's why we offer the options allowing you to fine tune your system :)

Also thinking about it, the Bel Canto REF 150 is a Class D design that will be effected (in a negative way) by the extra HF energy from the Optimal Transient filters.

As your a MP filter fan :) hopefully the update will bring you an improvement in SQ :)

My MDAC is having trouble locking at 176.4 at times. Is this a known problem? The music starts to chop and distort and the display starts to flicker like crazy. I've tried both ASIO and WASAPI and also different latencys and nothing seems to help. It's odd, because if I try again five minutes later it often starts working again.

fresh from the oven - vA.09:
https://www.box.com/s/ni1655nxjcg9fcngnf0v

• based upon original v0.90
  • includes most of the UI features introduced over time
  • custom input labeling
  • mute working in DAC-only mode
  • CD emphasis detection & de-emphasis filter
  • fixes OPT1/2 discrete remote codes

Mac release will follow later as well as a new version with more features included..

My MDAC is having trouble locking at 176.4 at times. Is this a known problem? The music starts to chop and distort and the display starts to flicker like crazy. I've tried both ASIO and WASAPI and also different latencys and nothing seems to help. It's odd, because if I try again five minutes later it often starts working again.

Guess your using SPDIF as USB does not support higher then 96KHz.

Have you tried setting "Jitter Rejection" to Wide Bandwidth?

What software/buffer is used in playback will have no effect on this problem. The issue is at hardware level, M-DAC obviously having trouble acquiring stable lock on the input signal. What's your source? Coax or optical? Try using the other input terminal on M-DAC. Not many people have 192k S/PDIF sources, so experience is limited, but we've not run into any problem at these rates, even using optical. YMMV though.

Guess your using SPDIF as USB does not support higher then 96KHz.

Have you tried setting "Jitter Rejection" to Wide Bandwidth
Yes, I'm using coax. Sorry, forgot to mention that.

I was using "Automatic" before, but I'll see if that helps. It's hard to replicate the issue since it only happens every once in a while.

That's what I'm thinking.

If bought as a pair, do you think they would be matched and balanced (rather than possibly needing to use the MDAC balance control)?

I would be very surprised if every single unit was not matched to every other unit with a fraction of a db. John's watchword for production is quality and repeatability. his two watchwords for production are quality, repeatability and game changing performance. His three watchwords are quality, repeatability, game changing performance and rich user experience......

Aaaaah what did the Roman's ever give us.

fresh from the oven - vA.09:
https://www.box.com/s/ni1655nxjcg9fcngnf0v

• based upon original v0.90
  • includes most of the UI features introduced over time
  • custom input labeling
  • mute working in DAC-only mode
  • CD emphasis detection & de-emphasis filter
  • fixes OPT1/2 discrete remote codes

Mac release will follow later as well as a new version with more features included..

first impression: TOP!!! More depth (soundstage). Headphones, OTDD. Previous version: 0.96

Typical.... my MDAC is somewhere between the UK and the Czech Republic so I will be the last to the A09 party :( ...but one of the first to the hot-rodded MDAC party :)

Typical.... my MDAC is somewhere between the UK and the Czech Republic so I will be the last to the A09 party :( ...but one of the first to the hot-rodded MDAC party :)

:D Erh The hardships of life :p - BTW your unit has still not arrived?

It won't have done - it was only collected on Monday and the tracking shows that it's only just left the UK. ETA is Monday 25th, but hopefully Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back