advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I'm using coax. Sorry, forgot to mention that.

I was using "Automatic" before, but I'll see if that helps. It's hard to replicate the issue since it only happens every once in a while.

Sounds like high levels of Jitter, setting Jitter Attenuation to Medium or High should resolve the issue.

John

I would be very surprised if every single unit was not matched to every other unit with a fraction of a db. John's watchword for production is quality and repeatability. his two watchwords for production are quality, repeatability and game changing performance. His three watchwords are quality, repeatability, game changing performance and rich user experience......

Aaaaah what did the Roman's ever give us.

Yes, sorry it was a silly question but my excuses are:-

1) My speakers are a mirror image matched pair.

2) I haven't tried power amps before (only integrated) let alone one for each channel so just checking.

If I wasn't already aware of John's 'watchwords' I wouldn't be considering buying.

fresh from the oven - vA.09:
https://www.box.com/s/ni1655nxjcg9fcngnf0v

• based upon original v0.90
  • includes most of the UI features introduced over time
  • custom input labeling
  • mute working in DAC-only mode
  • CD emphasis detection & de-emphasis filter
  • fixes OPT1/2 discrete remote codes

Mac release will follow later as well as a new version with more features included..

Just to say to everyone who try the updates - Pls. expect and forgive any issues as we have not had the time to perform little if any testing!

Yes, sorry it was a silly question but my excuses are:-

1) My speakers are a mirror image matched pair.

2) I haven't tried power amps before (only integrated) let alone one for each channel so just checking.

If I wasn't already aware of John's 'watchwords' I wouldn't be considering buying.

Normally, amplifier gain matching should be within 1% - I'd not be concerned about electrical matching, rather Mechanical matching (Colour / Finish etc).

I've seen so many different MDAC finish's over the production cycle that we are never going to be able to guarantee a 100% Colour / Finish match...

Normally, amplifier gain matching should be within 1% - I'd not be concerned about electrical matching, rather Mechanical matching (Colour / Finish etc).

I've seen so many different MDAC finish's over the production cycle that we are never going to be able to guarantee a 100% Colour / Finish match...

Hi John

If I bought two amps I presume they would 'match' in colour/finish.

My MDAC would be on a different shelf so similar, rather than 'matched', would be fine for me.

Hi John

If I bought two amps I presume they would 'match' in colour/finish.

My MDAC would be on a different shelf so similar, rather than 'matched', would be fine for me.

Yes - obviously we will aim to insure constancy over the production life of a product - insuring 100% colour with Anodizing and bead blasted is a fine art....

But certainly, consecutive production batches should be very close to each other, and units from the same batch should be identical :)

Somewhere between zero and none, I'd say!

Ah, hang on, I was forgetting that DSD is not allowed to be sent unencrypted... whoops! I guess there's no way around this without using HDMI ? And I certainly know that's never gonna happen!

Ah, hang on, I was forgetting that DSD is not allowed to be sent unencrypted... whoops! I guess there's no way around this without using HDMI ? And I certainly know that's never gonna happen!

Hi Tim,

We will offer an update service to "certain" SACD players that have excess to the raw internal NATIVE DSD stream.

This will allow to connect your SACD player to the MDAC with "Native" DSD.

John

fresh from the oven - vA.09:
https://www.box.com/s/ni1655nxjcg9fcngnf0v

• based upon original v0.90
  • includes most of the UI features introduced over time
  • custom input labeling
  • mute working in DAC-only mode
  • CD emphasis detection & de-emphasis filter
  • fixes OPT1/2 discrete remote codes

Mac release will follow later as well as a new version with more features included..

Hi Dominik

How do you set/lock the input labels please?

UPDATE It's STOP

Many thanks Dominik for the update.

Fine so far and really like the neat input labelling.

Saw it in the menu, too much faff typing like that for me... So left alone. Lol.

Installed fine, listening now. Initial impressions are good, will give it a week then move back to A. 08 and see what I think.

In case you missed my earlier post with the link to Apple Support Communities...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4104819?start=75&tstart=0

Appears ATV3 works better then AE but outputs only at 48KHz (therefore upsamples CD to 48KHz which is not good news).

I have an ATV3 and AE (A1392 model), as well as a WDTV (3rd gen - the wireless one)

AE is totally unusable into the M-DAC - dropping constantly over TOSlink.

ATV3 is better - but you will get a glitch or 2 every minute - also locked to 48khz.

WDTV - this works pretty well. It seems to only support 44.1khz or 48khz at 16 or 24 bit. I put the 16 bit 'Bit Perfect Test' on a USB stick (plugged into the WDTV) and it passed. The WDTV also appears as a device on the network that you can stream to, but not as an Airplay device. My Synology NAS sees it as a device, and will stream to the it (as well as the Apple kit). I just wish Synology would sort out the USB audio output - it sees the M-DAC, but the playback is currently glitchy :mad:

We will offer an update service to "certain" SACD players that have excess to the raw internal NATIVE DSD stream.

This will allow to connect your SACD player to the MDAC with "Native" DSD.

John

Hi John, You really know how to tantilise, don't you!
How would one tell if the player was a suitable candidate?

And can you remind me why this would never be possible with the MTRN? I'm guessing there's much more to it than just replacing the CD drive with a DVD drive :p
Sorry if this is going over old ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back