advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an ATV3 and AE (A1392 model), as well as a WDTV (3rd gen - the wireless one)

AE is totally unusable into the M-DAC - dropping constantly over TOSlink.

ATV3 is better - but you will get a glitch or 2 every minute - also locked to 48khz.

WDTV - this works pretty well. It seems to only support 44.1khz or 48khz at 16 or 24 bit. I put the 16 bit 'Bit Perfect Test' on a USB stick (plugged into the WDTV) and it passed. The WDTV also appears as a device on the network that you can stream to, but not as an Airplay device. My Synology NAS sees it as a device, and will stream to the it (as well as the Apple kit). I just wish Synology would sort out the USB audio output - it sees the M-DAC, but the playback is currently glitchy :mad:

AE works well, if you just adjust on OPT input the Jitter Rejection to Wide Bandwith.

I've just lobbed the new software on ny laptop then reconnected to the Mac mini.

I assume that's fine. Works anyway. Ill gIve it a few days then flip back to the original 9 and see what's what.

I think I prefered the capital dB sign after the volume number. Purely a cosmetic personal thing natch :)

I love the screen dimmer. Excellent.

Thank you for the update! Nice job!

Being a Mac user I had to loan my wifes pc laptop to update. This updatw sounds wonderful, especially with Optimal Trancient DD. The slight hardness that has bothered me a bit is gone and the sound is in the postitive sence analog.

Looking forward to future add-ons.

Added five minutes later: the display doesn't keep the track and time display on all the time, but switches irregulary between it and coax with bits display.

I have listened now for an hour on A.09, my early impressions are it sounds as good as V.090 (with optimal spectrum), clear and open, good treble, very nice with the input renaming and discrete input codes. Thanks!!

A quick note.

I've been listening to some Bach concertos since the swap and it does indeed seem to help with clarity and separation in that the cello tracks more easily and sprightly.

And perhaps a little more relaxed?

Early yet though.

Hi John, You really know how to tantilise, don't you!
How would one tell if the player was a suitable candidate?

And can you remind me why this would never be possible with the MTRN? I'm guessing there's much more to it than just replacing the CD drive with a DVD drive :p
Sorry if this is going over old ground.

Sony have efficiently dropped support of DSD hardware - and given the responsibly of marketing the legacy hardware to Linn of all people - that was some years back - but its gone very quite on all fronts since...

There is noway we could recoup the licence cost for BlueRay...

So far, A.09 seems most promising. :)

LF seems a little firmer - but this could easily be illusory.

Does the phase invert function actually do anything in this release (ISTR it was introduced as an experimental means of comparing something to do with software-related sonic changes)?

I ask because toggling it seems not to change the sound in the slightest in this release.

Quick warning; updated MDAC from my laptop, connected it back to netbook - nothing. Redid update using the netbook (don't ask, just more convenient to use laptop) and it works. Have a memory it did this before but memory is like a - what are those metal things called, full of holes?, ah yes - sieve. Goodness knows why, just use the 1 computer and not what I did

AE works well, if you just adjust on OPT input the Jitter Rejection to Wide Bandwith.

Thanks for that - I'm testing it now, but it seems to be working ok - at least setting my Mac sound output to Airplay via the AE.

Now if the NAS will stream ok to it - that will be fantastic - I can use my phone to control the NAS and not have to have my computer on. :)

So far, A.09 seems most promising. :)Does the phase invert function actually do anything in this release (ISTR it was introduced as an experimental means of comparing something to do with software-related sonic changes)?

I'll confirm with Dominik - maybe he's trying to test us all!!!

*I often Ask Dominik "double blind test me" - unknown to me he would swap the filter names etc - Then I'm greatfull to find I'm not going crazy or imagining things...

Sony have efficiently dropped support of DSD hardware - and given the responsibly of marketing the legacy hardware to Linn of all people - that was some years back - but its gone very quite on all fronts since...

There is noway we could recoup the licence cost for BlueRay...

So outsside if Linn, bluray is the only technology capable if reading SACD?

With this new update this doesn't help anymore, at least not with my MacBook Pro and Airfoil. It seems that I must return back to the previous version.

Added five minutes later: odd, but with iPad there are no problems with AE play; works I told earlier. Maybe the problem is in the way how Airfoil sends the music to AE.

Don't forget the PS3 technique ;-)

True. I already own an old SACD compatible model, and I was kinda hoping one day someone would come up with a way to downgrade the firmware and save me having to buy another one off ebay :(

So outsside if Linn, bluray is the only technology capable if reading SACD?

Basically that sums it up - legacy manufacturers who supported DSD before Sony dropped it still struggle on with old businesses connections...

IMO DSD failed because it was for most practical purposes a closed format - well atleast it was too costly for the smaller brands to gain excess to the market.

Hi John and Dominik,

I've been alternating between versions A.05 and 0.90. First impressions with the new firmware after 3 hours of listening :

There is a sense of increased clarity, refinement and a more upbeat presentation (sprightly as someone else mentioned). Bass seems firmer and the presentation overall feels more solid.

This version has the energy and drive of 0.90 with the refinement of A.05.

Very promising indeed !

Thanks guys !

Jan

(UnitiServe 1TB + Teddy Pardo linear power supply / Naim DC1 / M-DAC on OTXD / NVA AP50 / BIS Audio VIVAT speaker cables / Amphion Argon 3 speakers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back