advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I just purchased this M-Dac........A huge upgrade over my dacmagic, it sounds amazing.

1 question, I have the following amp (meier corda classic) what is the correct way to hook this up? Do I put the volume on the amp to full and let the m-dac control the volume, or do I disable the pre amp on the m-dac and let the amplifier control the volume?

Thanks alot

Have you tried the MDAC's own internal headphone amplifier? - give it a try first.... Its CROSS ClassA output stage drives headphones very well...

For the meier corda classic set the MDAC to say 0dB or +3dB and then use meier's own passive volume control... or you can ty the other way around and set the meier corda classic control to 100% and use the MDAC's level control.

You have many options, give them a try :)

Thanks for clearing that up.

setting the amp to 100% lets me use the volume on the remote control to better effect. It doesn't damage the amp running it at 100% at all times does it? lol

Yep tried the internal M-Dac amp, its very very nice indeed. Got the classic sitting right next to it though so while as well utilise it :)

Props on a fantastic product by the way, I can't stop listening to this thing, its actually amazing for the price.

Thanks for clearing that up.

setting the amp to 100% lets me use the volume on the remote control to better effect. It doesn't damage the amp running it at 100% at all times does it? lol

Yep tried the internal M-Dac amp, its very very nice indeed. Got the classic sitting right next to it though so while as well utilise it :)

Props on a fantastic product by the way, I can't stop listening to this thing, its actually amazing for the price.

There is no problem setting your amplifier level control to 100% - its then operating at the level determined by the MDAC's level control...

The MDAC goes though a "run-in" process it sound will change and improve after about a week of being left powered up,

John

There is no problem setting your amplifier level control to 100% - its then operating at the level determined by the MDAC's level control...

The MDAC goes though a "run-in" process it sound will change and improve after about a week of being left powered up,

John

Ok So don't turn it off for about a week?

thanks

Ok So don't turn it off for about a week?

thanks

Yes that's the idea - you don't have to be playing Music, just keep it powered up.

You can also find tune the sound by trying the diffident software versions - V0.96 for a more open detailed sound, A0.8 for a more closed but maybe "Fuller" sound...

Yes that's the idea - you don't have to be playing Music, just keep it powered up.

You can also find tune the sound by trying the diffident software versions - V0.96 for a more open detailed sound, A0.8 for a more closed but maybe "Fuller" sound...

Farout so customisable, just installed A0.8....Awesome haha.

Which version do you find the best?

personally I prefer 0.90/0.96 - but it very much depends on your systems "Balance" as to which works best...

Do you leave your M-Dac permanently power up? If so, do you not have any concerns with the screen burning out, due to the none dimming in those software versions?

Do you leave your M-Dac permanently power up? If so, do you not have any concerns with the screen burning out, due to the none dimming in those software versions?

My personal units been on V0.90 since I first built it a couple of years ago and its been permanently powered up with no signs of any noticeable screen burns yet...

Hi John,

Do you know when yo'll have a stable beta to test?

I am home alone tonight, so can do some testing if need be!

Ben

Doubt it will be ready tonight - Dominiks has two releases pending:-

A "Super" V0.90 (A0.9) which we hope retains V0.90 SQ but with the added features of A0.8

A A0.9+ with extra features (AC3 pass-though, and OS / MP filter SQ enhancements etc).

A "Super" V0.90 (A0.9) which we hope retains V0.90 SQ but with the added features of A0.8

A A0.9+ with extra features (AC3 pass-though, and OS / MP filter SQ enhancements etc).

Exciting times ahead :)

Hi John

Looking forward to the Beta releases.

Will A0.9+ include labelling of inputs?

Can you please remind me what 'OS / MP filter SQ' means?

Hi John

Looking forward to the Beta releases.

Will A0.9+ include labelling of inputs?

Can you please remind me what 'OS / MP filter SQ' means?

I believe both version will include labelling of inputs as this should not effect the SQ.

We believe we have found a way to improve the SQ of the Optimal Spectrum / Minimum Phase filters.

I believe both version will include labelling of inputs as this should not effect the SQ.

We believe we have found a way to improve the SQ of the Optimal Spectrum / Minimum Phase filters.

Thanks.

Sorry, I did see you previous post regarding SQ but when I see 'OS' I think Operating System.

So no change to OT filters but worth 'revisiting' OS and MP filters.

Hi John,

Sounds great!

So, we basically get to choose which one would be best for us?

I prefer A08 SQ, so maybe the A0.9+ build is for me. However, I have a new (detached!) house now, so my hifi sounds very different. Maybe, "super" 0.90 may even sound better in this one for me!

I will try them both.

Am I to think that A0.9+ using a similar partitioning between the two controllers which you believe affected the SQ in A0.8, for example (both negatively and positively depending who you are), whereas the "super" 0.90 does something different?

Cheers,

Ben

I didn't realize that it will be 2 different versions.
If you (as I) see the 0.9 version as the better sounding, and the "super" 0.9 will re-build everything from 0.9 to a0.8, why then starting at the "old" a0.8 at all for further development and not at the new super a0.9 as starting point?

Regarding the different filters, there was a link to an enlightening article about DA filters some time ago. But I was not sure after reading it where it fits into the MDac filters.

Am I right that the OT filters are optimized for no Pre-ringing of fast signals? To my ears they are especially good for fast transients as a close miked bass drum, and that would fit I think. Following toughts are perhaps completely wrong, please correct me someone then!

Group delay (is that the correct term) would then be not optimal with OT, i.e. different frequencies can arrive at slightly different times.

MP on the other hand would be Group delay optimized, with sacrifice in transients. For me, it seems best with well recorded classical music to achieve optimum space, but I'm not sure. I would think, though, that with real 2-microphone recordings (for me, that's still the best recording method) the different delays are most important for realistic depth and width.

And what about the OS filter? It seems to have the fastest lowering high freq. tail as it seems. What exactly is the meaning of Optimal Spectrum?

It would be most useful if these parameters would be described somehow in the Wiki! I'm sure something has been written here and there, but it's almost impossible to find that again.

(NB It's funny that audiophiles seem to care so much about the play back part and so few about how their music is recorded. I think that a multitrack record mixed together with amplitude stereo effects is purely unnatural compared with a stereo imagining gained by two omni micros which produce phase shifts and delays as in real life. The two systems will produce quite different results (e.g. there are almost no gain differences for left and right instruments, but vast delays) and probably will need different measures for optimal play back. Perhaps different filters? What is sure is that different loudspeakers and amplifiers can do this or that better. With headphones it's another thing, too - I can't listen to modern compressed mixed sounds very long with phones, but the old Denon recordings I mentioned miked with 2 B&K mics sound as easy and ambient as you were really there...

Is that only my opinion? Rarely found something along these lines)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back