advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
The new version is clearly an improvment over A.08 in terms of clarity and sound stage at least using headphones and OTXD.
It sounds also somehow more "natural" on vocals.

Best regards ans once again
THANKS ! ! !

A.90

First impressions are that there is a profoundly noticeable increase in bass, some might so more open or spacious sound. But i am not sure i like it, i think i may still enjoy the naturalness of the original.

Its so frustrating knowing these firmwares change the sound but not being able to pinpoint why.

EDIT, didn't have the right filter on.
First song played "if you don't know me by now"
I had no idea there were two people singing the chorus, always thought it was the same person in different octaves. So far its interesting.

Hi all,
The new version is clearly an improvment over A.08 in terms of clarity and sound stage at least using headphones and OTXD.
It sounds also somehow more "natural" on vocals.

Best regards ans once again
THANKS ! ! !

Id have to agree with you here, first thing after noticing a bass tightness was the vocals had a more forward approach and natural response.

Well speaking for both Dominik and myself - we are happy if we are able to improve the SQ of the MDAC - or at least bring a different flavour to the table :)

Well speaking for both Dominik and myself - we are happy if we are able to improve the SQ of the MDAC - or at least bring a different flavour to the table :)

yea at this stage i believe its a different flavor, one is not better than the other.
Doesn't it upset you that something on the software side can have a effect on the sound output ?, i mean you design something to a tee only to tailor the sound and find out the software you put on it can make or break the sound.

yea at this stage i believe its a different flavor, one is not better than the other.
Doesn't it upset you that something on the software side can have a effect on the sound output ?, i mean you design something to a tee only to tailor the sound and find out the software you put on it can make or break the sound.

Well the first thing is to admit there are differences even though there "shouldn't be" - then the challenge is to understand why :)

I cannot begin to explain how I'm lost for words when I hear people say "DAC's all sound the same" - yet here we are just changing the software and there are clearly audible effects - and that's without changing any hardware!!!

I fear to be bundled with the "Snake Oil" proprietors when I discuss some of my (our) experiences - but I feel its important if we are to advance our understanding of our "Art" :)

I think " make or break" is a little OTT. after all listening to the same band in different venues sounds different.

Personally after 3 hours listening I think the new software is a great improvement in all areas - Sennheieser HD 650 with Lianne La Havas- sounds sublime.

Many thanks Dom. :):)

I think " make or break" is a little OTT. after all listening to the same band in different venues sounds different.

Many thanks Dom. :):)

Yep, agree.

I have been doing some switch listening, sorry i am just jotting down my experiences as i test these out. Rather have my thoughts fresh and somewhere to put them.
Anyway i have to feel that A.09 has some familiar traits from previous A.x series but also has the sound stage and separation from the original 0.90.

Its all very interesting atm.

Well the first thing is to admit there are differences even though there "shouldn't be" - then the challenge is to understand why :)

I cannot begin to explain how I'm lost for words when I hear people say "DAC's all sound the same" - yet here we are just changing the software and there are clearly audible effects - and that's without changing any hardware!!!

I fear to be bundled with the "Snake Oil" proprietors when I discuss some of my (our) experiences - but I feel its important if we are to advance our understanding of our "Art" :)

Yea i can understand, its a dark place to travel especially if it is possible that its all in your head.

Hello all, long time listener, first time caller. This thread was the main reason I bought the M-DAC and I have been very pleased with it. I will getting in the queue to get an MTRN and MPAX.

Looking forward to trying out the new software. Loaded up A08 only last night, loved the bass, but thought it suffered elsewhere. Sounds like the new drop should fit the bill nicely.

Forgive me if this question has been answered, but my searches through thread had not been fruitful. I have done the Bitperfect test via USB from Foobar using WASPI and it passes no problems.

However my attempts to pass the Bitperfect test using the 16bit 44.1KHz track burned to a CD played via the Coax and Optical have not been successful. It keeps saying 'scanning for lock' (or something similar). Is it possible to pass the Bitperfect test using this method? The CD player is set to simply Passthrough the raw datastream and not upsample it or any other gubbins like that.

As an A.08 long-timer, I can quite clearly recognize the difference - made me realize how my MDAC sounded right after purchase - rather bass-light, but clean. And I once again prefer OS over OTXD (it was the other way around on A.08). Right after trying out the new firmware, a thread called "mdac in, bass out" flew through my head.
Not that it's a bad thing, the soundstage is certainly wider and perhaps there's more "control", I also happen to own "bass light" AKG K702 headphones, so I guess I get what I deserve.

Overall - it's a welcome change, because it's a change. I was really getting tired of my favorite tracks sounding always the same.
Also, I have a feeling that this kind of music taste will be more ideal for MIMP with Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 as some find them too bassy.

And I'm not really a bass-centric kind of guy.

Dominik, thanks for the effort.

Hello all, long time listener, first time caller. This thread was the main reason I bought the M-DAC and I have been very pleased with it. I will getting in the queue to get an MTRN and MPAX.

Looking forward to trying out the new software. Loaded up A08 only last night, loved the bass, but thought it suffered elsewhere. Sounds like the new drop should fit the bill nicely.

Forgive me if this question has been answered, but my searches through thread had not been fruitful. I have done the Bitperfect test via USB from Foobar using WASPI and it passes no problems.

However my attempts to pass the Bitperfect test using the 16bit 44.1KHz track burned to a CD played via the Coax and Optical have not been successful. It keeps saying 'scanning for lock' (or something similar). Is it possible to pass the Bitperfect test using this method? The CD player is set to simply Passthrough the raw datastream and not upsample it or any other gubbins like that.

Welcome :)

What CD player are you using as a transport? - sounds like its not Bit accurate!

John

Dear John, Dominik,

Having just installed A.90 having been a A.08 user, I certainly feel that there is a positive difference. I feel the bass response is tighter, and that there is better separation of instruments leading to a more defined sound stage. Now my memory retention with these relatively small but important improvements will be pretty poor if I had to do a blind test (I'm not that old!!!), especially considering the amount of time that would be required to re-update the M-DAC in between listening to samples, so only time will tell how much of this is expectation bias vs real significant improvements. Having said that, I am very pleased with the initial results and I am grateful for all of your hard work.

In other news, I have a bit of a strange situation going on here that is not exclusive to version A.90, which I think I know the cause of, but will mention here for your perusal. Don't hate me, but I am an optimal spectrum fan. I personally find it the most dynamic, and yes it is bright, but aged 25, I am able to enjoy that higher frequency response ;-) Anyway, the issue I am having is almost certainly not the fault of the M-DAC but certain selections on the M-DAC appear to totally eradicate the problem that I am having. Essentially, the issue that I am having is only replicated when the optimal spectrum filter is in use with the appropriate nominal frequency sample rate and bit depth input matched to the music that I am listening to (exclusively through USB). The problem I am experiencing is sharp clicking noises of varying intensity and duration during playback through my Quad 77 integrated amplifier, usually when the bass of a track kicks in. If I change any of the above conditions, i.e. the filter/macbook bit depth+sample rate output/or even slide the digital volume (effectively altering the bit depth) this issue is non existent. Actually, if I take out the Quad77 out of the equation and just use my headphones, there is no issue. So as far as I see it, the amplifier is at at fault, but why? Just to add, this issue is only replicated with a certain number of tracks as well. My only guess is that certain transient peaks seem to play havoc with the amplifier. If I increase the amplification on the Quad77, this also seems to alleviate the problem too, I.e. as far as I see it, the clicks are of a fixed amplitude when the symptoms are presented. I know that with the appropriate remote control for the device, one can change the input sensitivity on the Quad77 and I'm hoping this is the solution but I cannot test that since I do not have access to such a remote unfortunately. If this isn't the solution, I have to admit that I am quite clueless here.

If you happen to get a chance, I would love to get your opinions here.

Kind regards,
Harry

ps. with the optimal transient filter, I find the soundstage more revealing/wider then with optimal spectrum, but as I mentioned before, at the expense of a slight reduction in dynamics. Just my opinion anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back