advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am no John, but I think it is possible to build such a filter.

However its to me its impossible to determine what usually wrong with bad recordings. A recording can sound bad as many ways there are people with HiFi times the amount of different listening rooms times the amount of different opinions times the amount of "bad" recordings. Too much to handle with one "nicefier" filter.

It would require some user control to be effective. There have been such things available a while (40 years?) and usually they are called "equalizers" and "loudness" controls. They can't fix a bad recording, but they sure can make it sound nicer when compatibility with certain listening conditions and personal preferences are needed.

I myself have just stopped listening to bad recordings. There is just too much new music to miss out.

Is it possible to design a filter to enhance "bad recordings".
br

Once John has mastered (sic) this perhaps he could then turn his attention to the British climate and make it less cloudy and more sunny :D

I recently bought The Fleet Foxes album. After 5 minutes of listening I thought how bad it sounded.

Then I read the sleeve notes "recorded in our bedrooms/garages"

The higher you go up the HiFi chain the worse 'bad' recordings will sound as compared to good ones.

All the Digital Signal Processing in the world cannot change a sows ear into a silk purse

Fact of life-like the weather. :cool:

Once John has mastered (sic) this perhaps he could then turn his attention to the British climate and make it less cloudy and more sunny :D

I recently bought The Fleet Foxes album. After 5 minutes of listening I thought how bad it sounded.

Then I read the sleeve notes "recorded in our bedrooms/garages"

The higher you go up the HiFi chain the worse 'bad' recordings will sound as compared to good ones.

All the Digital Signal Processing in the world cannot change a sows ear into a silk purse

Fact of life-like the weather. :cool:
As i dont live in britain i dont really feel concerned by the british weather at all. I know that i can do such things by going thru my DEQ2496 and performs a lot of eqs/dynamic adjustments. As I've stated i think that doing this as a filter is impossible to do for all recordings.
I agree that polir une crotte is not a good job ! but as you point out the more we move in the hifi direction the more this kind of records sounds worse compared to the others. So have I to build a second system to listen to them ? One good point is that it will not cost a lot !!! ;)

There's often a sweet spot, but the conductor has the best seat (stand) in the house :)

Actually, I don't agree with that. I'd hate to have to listen to music from the conductor's position - especially large scale choral works. But I guess there's a variety of opinions on a topic like this. And, indeed, I would think that one's own preference would vary according to the hall in which the music is being played.

- Richard.

Is it possible to design a filter to enhance "bad recordings"

If you use J River to play your files, it contains a lot of (optional) audio processing tools. It also has hooks to incorporate any standard plug-in within the loop. In other words, the world is at your feet!

Hey John,

I know you're way too busy with so many projects on hand, BDAC TDAC etc, but i was wondering if it's possible to DIY the sovereign mod myself? I have basic soldering skills but i'm not sure if that's enough.. Really want to extract all the performance out from the MDAC! Also, will it be wise to use a good external linear power supply? Thanks

Hey John,

I know you're way too busy with so many projects on hand, BDAC TDAC etc, but i was wondering if it's possible to DIY the sovereign mod myself? I have basic soldering skills but i'm not sure if that's enough.. Really want to extract all the performance out from the MDAC! Also, will it be wise to use a good external linear power supply? Thanks

I believe the M-DAC comes with 'a good external linear power supply'.

I believe you need to modify the M-DAC before you can use DC in.

Mine is with John at the moment for Soverign+ and DC mods.
My Dad is using a PSU of very similar construction with his unmodified MDac, you just have to allow a half volt or so of extra headroom that the diodes will consume. It sounds very good compared to standard btw.

Sam

Long time follower of the thread. Finally purchased a MDAC in the past week. Hugely impressed, even though I am possibly not quite through the recommended run-in period yet.

Little query, hopefully someone can help:
The Wkkii has been unavailable for a while, so there appears to be nowhere to download the various Firmware options. Does anyone know if they are available elsewhere? Can the Wikkii be resurrected?

Thanks!

Long time follower of the thread. Finally purchased a MDAC in the past week. Hugely impressed, even though I am possibly not quite through the recommended run-in period yet.

Little query, hopefully someone can help:
The Wkkii has been unavailable for a while, so there appears to be nowhere to download the various Firmware options. Does anyone know if they are available elsewhere? Can the Wikkii be resurrected?

Thanks!
There have been other reports that wikkii.org/wiki/M-DAC is down for a while but usually re-appears. Just checked and it's down now. Anyone know why this is? Seems a bit unreliable to host the firmware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back