advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Is there a way to get on a MAMP pre-order list? Though I understand that the timeline is somewhat fluent, I rather wouldn't want to hang out daily on PFM - can get distracting ...

2. Heresy: Since the transport mechanism is, nowadays, in some people's opinions, not a big factor => wouldn't it be nice, and I just ask that very cautiously, to use a blu-ray mechanism? Shouldn't there be options of such which allow clock-locking? And probably some simple associated boards for the video out? Etc.

For point 2: I just got a Samsung BD-ES6000, which is a small form factor (19cm), display-less BDP. I don't care about the online etc. stuff it comes with, but just pipe the HDMI to the beamer, and the optical to the MDAC. So, my setup of choice would be MacMini (SSD...), BD-Transport, MDAC, MAMP ... (Actually, since I convert all CDs to ALAC anyway, the clock-locking of the transport wouldn't be of interest to me, but lets stick to the script...).

Just saying: People here seem to love posting pictures of their big black HDTVs, with an MDAC under it ...

I like this M-DAC so much that I would like to investigate the 'M-DAC as a pre, connected to a power amp' path. Just occurred to me I haven't introduced myself properly here. I'm 38 but relatively new to the hifi world (although I have to admit this is my fourth DAC). Currently the M-DAC is connected to a Denon PMA-1500AE, which is biwired to B&W CM7's. I can switch the Denon to power amp mode, but when I do I hear quite some hiss coming from the tweeters (even without a connected M-DAC). Is this normal for power amps? Also, for normal listening the M-DAC pre is at -45 to -40dB. Seems a little low to me? I did like the sound though, it seemed more balanced in the lows and more alive/airier in the higher frequencies. What I also liked was the very precise volume control. It's very hard finding the right balance with the Denon volume. It's either too soft or too loud.

Anyway, I've decided a dedicated power amp might be better. The only reason I still have an integrated amp is because I still play a few SACD's now and then. I think I don't mind recording the SACD's in my recording studio on my RME Multiface II in 24/96, and stream everything in the future with my SBT :)

So I was wondering, who is using a Audiolab 8200P with the M-DAC here? WAD62 I believe? I like the look, and obviously I'm turning into a Audiolab fan. :D Any people biamping with two?

As a newbie, it's a bit unclear to me what all the MPAX, BDAC etc talk is all about. Is it something I should wait for, considering my decision?

It might be worth waiting for Lakewest's M-amp.. Should be a bit special.

As for the hiss and the -40dB setting, a pair of attenuators will sort that out. Try -20dB if you can find them.

Ps, if you like the sound better with the M-dac into the power amp section then attenuators are the way to go.

It might be worth waiting for Lakewest's M-amp.. Should be a bit special.

As for the hiss and the -40dB setting, a pair of attenuators will sort that out. Try -20dB if you can find them.

Ps, if you like the sound better with the M-dac into the power amp section then attenuators are the way to go.

I believe the MPAX is going to have some form of attenuation included.

Hi John, just recovering from Sandy... thankfully all is ok with my family, but many others didn't do so well, it has been terrible.
To calm my mind, I just wanted to check back about a place in the coveted TDAC waiting list, Im really excited about it... hoping.

Hey John,

I know you're way too busy with so many projects on hand, BDAC TDAC etc, but i was wondering if it's possible to DIY the sovereign mod myself? I have basic soldering skills but i'm not sure if that's enough.. Really want to extract all the performance out from the MDAC! Also, will it be wise to use a good external linear power supply? Thanks

Sorry for being absent from the forum, guess what, late on the BDAC design... :rolleyes:

The Modifications involves working on a 4 layer PCB and removing and replacing SMD components and Hand soldering onto IC legs of the ESS DAC, its really a horrid job, one I don't relish - tomorrow I work on Sam's and Hulga units...

The modification is not something that I believe can be done without guidance and experience with SMD rework.

John
I've got a question for dominik as i'm listening to the first genesis album which is not the most concerned (i think more about cheap trick's and some old clapton prods).
Is it possible to design a filter to enhance "bad recordings". Not to recover what is not inside the signal but tu make it less "far" therefore to enhance presence.
I think it's impossible but as you know there's no such word in french. (they said)

br

Hi Hluga,

So all week and your units been perfect... I fully believe you had an issue, it just goes to show how hard it can be for the production line to weed out troublesome units like this... its a fact of life...

I'll make some modifications to the Relay drive circuit - increasing the Drive current and voltage - hopefully this will solve the issue - obviously I'm troubled that I've been able to recreate the issue on the lab bench...

Its there a chance that the ventilation is poor - is there any chance the vents blocked are obstructed above and below the MDAC?

On the subject the "filters" the MDAC Digital filters are not in a sense any form of equalization filters - they all have flat responses within the audio band... (or almost flat) - I'm not sure what kind of filter you would need...

However, both the BDAC and TDAC have much greater processing power (especially the TDAC with its FPGA's) so there maybe other was to make poor recordings sound more acceptable - if they prove beneficial we "MIGHT" then be able to shoehorn these into MDACs limited MCU horsepower...

As has been mentioned here already, the best place for EQ would be via the PC's audio player... If you find an EQ or post processing that works well then let us know and we will see if we can implement in into the hardware...

I believe you need to modify the M-DAC before you can use DC in.

Even with an MDAC in standard from you can use with DC input, the "DC" modifications I perform are just to optimise the MDAC's internal PSU for use with external DC input - separating the power feed to the Left and Right channels and adding extra Ground returns.

John

Long time follower of the thread. Finally purchased a MDAC in the past week. Hugely impressed, even though I am possibly not quite through the recommended run-in period yet.

Little query, hopefully someone can help:
The Wkkii has been unavailable for a while, so there appears to be nowhere to download the various Firmware options. Does anyone know if they are available elsewhere? Can the Wikkii be resurrected?

Thanks!

eleibo,

Welcome - and thankyou...

We believe the Wiki has been taken down by Sandy - my SBT not working here in Czech - guess the SqueezeBox servers must be hosted on the East coast..

John

Hi John,

Will the upcoming MPAX, MTRN, and MAMP be availabe in North America? Just wondering for those of us who are already enjoying the MDAC out here.

Hi Tiberius,

I'm heading towards semi-retirement these days, I see Lakewest just as a way to do what I enjoy and to enjoy life a little :) - I don't want to get too stressed out which means keeping Lakewest a small 'Fun" operation.

Trying to support markets outside of Europe is just going to be beyond the scale of operation I would envisage... Support, servicing, dealing with local safety regulations... you can see the bigger picture I'm painting...

The margins on LakeWest products will be tight - the cost of shipping a unit to and from the US for a warranty repair (hopefully not needed) would decimate any profit made from the original sale...

We would indirectly support any loyal US based customers - but on the understanding at there own risk...

John --- Wikkii was down before Sandy turned up. By the way, would like to add my thanks for the incredible support and product you provide.

Oh Ok, maybe time to start thinking about our own website then...

John

Hi John,
I was wondering what CD mechanism you were planning to use in the MTRN, do you think it would be feasable to employ something top class like the CD Pro 2LF?

So long as the CD loader is able to read / recover the audio data Bit accurate from the CD it should have absolutely NO effect on the sound quality – there’s no Voodoo magic here. On the other hand, nobody’s wants a deformed piece of plastic wonder that disintegrates at the sound of the UPS courier knocking at the door for pickup.

The original swing arm CD Pro was decent CD mechanism - but the later "CD Pro 2LF" type replacements which where based upon a really cheap and nasty CDM12 type plastic pick-up just housed in a fancy Die-cast moulding to hide the cheap plastic wonder within are just a plan marketing rip off...

Since CD was first launched (think CDM1 and CDM2) the technology investment has not been to "Improve" the mechanisms" but to cheapen "Mass Market" CD.

Its near impossible to by a High quality CD mechanisms - most being US$3.5 to US$10 Plastic wonders... the most amazing total pieces of crap - they really are..!

We are lucky that we have worked within the industry for many years - and though various contacts in Asia have better access then most to OPU / loaders and manufactures... Even the Teac VRD's type Mechs are made in China.

Or solution is the use a high quality car slot loader with our own designed servo board - due to the harsh operating environment these are about the only really "High quality" loaders / OPU that are still manufactured - precision all metal construction etc...

As with consumer grade plastic wonders car loaders are not all the same, so we turned to our German brothers and piggy-backed on what the Germans do the very best – bureaucratic over engineering and over testing :) - we use a loader that meets and passes BOSCH GMBH internal QC standards :) roll on the fine German over engineering!

With our servo solution and German approved HQ Metal Car loader we believe we have a fine CD transport solution – let’s face it, in our rapidly advancing internet world maybe the last CD transport people will need to buy (hopefully)…

In the early days of CD there was truth that some laser pick-ups were more prone to error reads than others and there was no mechanism for data recovery. In current units, the chances of read errors even from CD-Rs is so low. In fact if you use a high speed CD reader on a PC, you can go all the way to 40x and still end up with a perfect read (utilities exist to verify this) repeatedly.

However, there is one other aspect that has been the subject of debate over years, which is read-rate consistency. In a sense this is a form of jitter, not introduced by the transfer medium of the digital signal over an optical TOSLINK for example, but the consistency in read-rate by the laser pick-up itself. In many modern units this also becomes a non-issue, because the data can be buffered, and as the bit-rate is determinable, can be output consistently.

I am not saying there are not differences between transports, but there are so many other factors in the system that can make much more audible changes, it is not where I would put my money. This is just a personal opinion.

All well said and very true,

Our CD servo solution implements buffer memory multi-read (if needed) data recovery to extract the original data from the CD, with optical clock-locked isolation between the Data source and Audio conversion we believe the MTRN should be the best CD solution for the M/B/TDAC’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back