advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see how people can say that rack material influences sound with dcs gear, this is just a marginal effect, the real game changer is room dehodorant! Use jasmine to increase the sense of space and instrumental separation, vanilla for a beefier sound that enhances the lower frequencies, and cinnamon for prat nad emotional involvement...

<moderating>

Some noise-shaping applied. Darryl, Steven, please keep personal disputes and squabbles away from this forum.

Slim chance, but anyone out there with experience writing Windows Drivers?

For the BDAC / TDAC we need a UAC2 USB Driver for XP upwards... It would be someone's chance to get both a BDAC and TDAC in exchange... :)

John

John - when does this need to be completed? I'm a sofware dev and whilst I don't personally have experience of writing device drivers I know a few people who do.

edit: i expect so but have you looked at licensing it from these guys?

John - when does this need to be completed? I'm a sofware dev and whilst I don't personally have experience of writing device drivers I know a few people who do.

edit: i expect so but have you looked at licensing it from these guys?

Hi Pix,

Well we will most likely release the BDAC/ TDAC without HiRes (above 96/24) USB drivers - although I'm sure we will have many requests.

MAC OSX users, iPad and SBT etc will be able to stream HiRes audio - just Windows user will be left in the cold... in the mean time Windows user's will have to use the ASIO driver if they REALLY need 192kHz...

We approached a few of the USB driver vendors but we would have to be crazy to agree such terms, I'd rather pay for a university student to write the driver and make it free for all and support our audio community - its such an unforgivable situation that MS still does not support UAC2...

So no time scales, except we will have people asking and loosing some sales before the Driver is ready - Dominik could write it, but I need him to concentrate on what he does best (Its vary hard to keep Dominik on track - and I thought I was bad)......

As a suggestion for the driver, and to scupper the money grabbers consider releasing the driver under an open source license... Good for the whole community!

Sam

As a suggestion for the driver, and to scupper the money grabbers consider releasing the driver under an open source license... Good for the whole community!

Sam

:) Fully agree!!! note in my posting:

"I'd rather pay for a university student to write the driver and make it free for all and support our audio community"

John

Don't know how I missed that.
Keep it well documented and open for all and it can only be good for the community. :) :)

Are you able to indicate what you mean by "such terms"?

Well as a "Design House" we need a universal driver we can use across our platform of design - and we would need to be able to customise the driver for each variant - nothing big, but non of the design houses would offer a package as such - rather charge us an NRE for EACH variation of the platform.

They also wanted so much that I could pay for a full-time engineer here in Czech - which is what I've decided to look into....

Dominik's looked into it, and cannot understand what the fuss is about - apparently its not to hard as MS has it well documented and there's already an open source ASIO driver which can be built upon - I'm happy to have the Driver Open source...

We are hardware designers, as such I don't see the worth in trying to keep any driver we develop for ourselves - I trust our hardware will speak for itself, our HiFi industry needs all the help it can get!... worrying about protecting a Windows UAC2 USB driver is not a high priority!

John

It's nice that you think that way John. I doubt that Gordon Rankin agrees with your generosity though, there's money to be made from licensing software.

I totally agree with you john, i'm sometimes software designer but not in the field of drivers.
Open source could be a good idea. If you need some help i think that i know some people who could design such things as they design filesystem drivers.

Br

John
I've got a question for dominik as i'm listening to the first genesis album which is not the most concerned (i think more about cheap trick's and some old clapton prods).
Is it possible to design a filter to enhance "bad recordings". Not to recover what is not inside the signal but tu make it less "far" therefore to enhance presence.
I think it's impossible but as you know there's no such word in french. (they said)

br

Impossible n'est pas français. Hmmm...

I think by "far" you meant "éloigné" meaning detached or distant as though you sit near the back of the auditorium and not front-of-stage.

If such a filter were possible, it would ideally need to be adjustable. Indeed, ideally it would need to work both ways. It's not always desirable to be on the front row.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back