advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of us who are interested in having them all:

mdac-update-v0.90.exe (md5 9184c21b7cbfd9b4f15207019028b502)
mdac-update-v0.95.exe (md5 cbd96c860b5ccd0b09208a41029e6824)
mdac-update-v0.96.exe (md5 e7728a5b77a8c3b67072c69166168f7e)
mdac-update-v0.99.exe (md5 fda41b02cc87c43b2b84bad547a5690c)
mdac-update-v0.99+v0.98.exe (md5 730e3251cb5ce3e818e7838eeddafc60)
mdac-update_A.03.exe (md5 054fdecb6b566bede0f08b03d3e30097)
mdac-update_A.04.exe (md5 42e2d329acf239c388f941656cf142a3)
mdac-update_A.05.exe (md5 10067e3af9f84408826c0eadf3d65500)
mdac-update_A.06.exe (md5 47a5a0c3c84ae2fb144c36ac9ef5f7c4)
mdac-update_A.08.exe (md5 fcb00d3ca0bd9278a2cfd60146f8d319)

Hi John,

Will the upcoming MPAX, MTRN, and MAMP be availabe in North America? Just wondering for those of us who are already enjoying the MDAC out here.

This^

But it provides AC... The one I am building (link in my signature below) will provide filtered and regulated DC and filter some of the mains borne garbage

Sam
Hmm, I found this:
dxmhyp.jpg

Can someone confirm if the stock power supply supplies AC or DC? From that picture it looks like +/- 15V DC

Hmm, I found this:
dxmhyp.jpg

Can someone confirm if the stock power supply supplies AC or DC? From that picture it looks like +/- 15V DC

The Standard MDAC PSU supply's Raw AC - However better if you can build a DC supply.

John

Well, the domain is registered in Ontario; but weren't there rumours of a storm interfering with East coast data centers (where its soul may reside)?

We suspect the that Sandy has knocked the WiKi offline - many US based websites are down or very slow...

John

John --- Wikkii was down before Sandy turned up. By the way, would like to add my thanks for the incredible support and product you provide.

fusion5 / jirij --- Thanks very much for the the links, much appreciated.

Really looking forward to trying everything, though by the sounds of it I should probably skip straight to v0.90. Olimex and hub all at the ready as well. Just need to find a few clear hours to play now.

Hi John,
I was wondering what CD mechanism you were planning to use in the MTRN, do you think it would be feasable to employ something top class like the CD Pro 2LF?

I know that many people feel bits are bits, but personally I believe transports make a difference, and although I never heard one I seem to understand the CD Pro 2 is considered to be the best available. I would be quite willing to fork out some more for the MTRN to check it out

I know that many people feel bits are bits, but personally I believe transports make a difference, and although I never heard one I seem to understand the CD Pro 2 is considered to be the best available. I would be quite willing to fork out some more for the MTRN to check it out

In the early days of CD there was truth that some laser pick-ups were more prone to error reads than others and there was no mechanism for data recovery. In current units, the chances of read errors even from CD-Rs is so low. In fact if you use a high speed CD reader on a PC, you can go all the way to 40x and still end up with a perfect read (utilities exist to verify this) repeatedly.

However, there is one other aspect that has been the subject of debate over years, which is read-rate consistency. In a sense this is a form of jitter, not introduced by the transfer medium of the digital signal over an optical TOSLINK for example, but the consistency in read-rate by the laser pick-up itself. In many modern units this also becomes a non-issue, because the data can be buffered, and as the bit-rate is determinable, can be output consistently.

I am not saying there are not differences between transports, but there are so many other factors in the system that can make much more audible changes, it is not where I would put my money. This is just a personal opinion.

Hello, I have the mdac from about 1 week, with the stereo I noticed a nice improvement in the sound and I am satisfied, however with the denon d2000 connected to the headphone output of the mdac, I notice a thicker sound, silky and rich but compared to the simple harmonic headphone pc (win 7 64) in many songs, especially classical music, known several distortions, drivers dellla headphones seem holes. (In steps orchestral dynamic, I need to keep the volume to below about -15/-20 db, because the sound distorts).
I have version 0.99 of the firmware, mdac connected with usb to pc, player foobar (with both set out with that WASAPI with asio4all and also smooth out).
You have any recommendations? Why so the denon are unheard.
Sorry for the English translated with google.

Leave it to the designer to choose the transport

John has said the intention is to clock-lock the transport to the DAC - the DAC will provide the clock source to the DAC. Jitter effects in the transport are removed

I like this M-DAC so much that I would like to investigate the 'M-DAC as a pre, connected to a power amp' path. Just occurred to me I haven't introduced myself properly here. I'm 38 but relatively new to the hifi world (although I have to admit this is my fourth DAC). Currently the M-DAC is connected to a Denon PMA-1500AE, which is biwired to B&W CM7's. I can switch the Denon to power amp mode, but when I do I hear quite some hiss coming from the tweeters (even without a connected M-DAC). Is this normal for power amps? Also, for normal listening the M-DAC pre is at -45 to -40dB. Seems a little low to me? I did like the sound though, it seemed more balanced in the lows and more alive/airier in the higher frequencies. What I also liked was the very precise volume control. It's very hard finding the right balance with the Denon volume. It's either too soft or too loud.

Anyway, I've decided a dedicated power amp might be better. The only reason I still have an integrated amp is because I still play a few SACD's now and then. I think I don't mind recording the SACD's in my recording studio on my RME Multiface II in 24/96, and stream everything in the future with my SBT :)

So I was wondering, who is using a Audiolab 8200P with the M-DAC here? WAD62 I believe? I like the look, and obviously I'm turning into a Audiolab fan. :D Any people biamping with two?

As a newbie, it's a bit unclear to me what all the MPAX, BDAC etc talk is all about. Is it something I should wait for, considering my decision?

Hi Trojka, welcome to the MDAC thread.

MPAX is a new improved power supply for the MDAC with analogue inputs and various other improvements. This will be supplied direct from John under his Lake-West brand.

BDAC is a new DAC John is designing for Creek Audio. Which 'should' have better sond quality than the stock MDAC butbe bettered by MDAC with MPAX.

Simples.

John is also designing some MAMPS (amplifiers) for his own brand which 'should' be available early next year I believe.

Try leaving your amp in integrated mode and still use the MDAC in PRE mode. That it what I do, as I have the same volume control issues as you. Also if you can use XLR it brings high rewards !

Thanks for the explanation! So...MPAX with analogue inputs could solve 'my SACD problem' (should I decide to buy a power amp)?

Unfortunately the Denon has no XLR inputs.

About the volume control issue: I understand you turn the volume on the integrated amp a bit higher than usual, and control the rest with M-DAC?

Indeed I use my Yamaha AS-2000 for 'course' volume control then fine tune with the MDAC, to around -5 db.

John's MAMP's will have XLR balanced inputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back