advertisement

MDAC first listen (part X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
5ea96867-69b9-84b1.jpg

Looks good to me. Thanks very much. :)

The thing is, OLED displays suffer from burn-in and fade. I understand the appeal of displaying a logo, but if the unit is left on permanently the pixels for that logo will cause uneven wearing, even dimmed. Ideally I would have preferred the display to go totally off after a number of hours.

@chufelix: You also have to be running OS Lion (10.7). I wish someone would prove me wrong, but I have 2 Macs, both with 10.6, and in virtual mode (I have both Parallels and VMFusion) as well as Bootcamp, the file won't run; an error msg. shows.

I've asked Dominik to respond...

The thing is, OLED displays suffer from burn-in and fade. I understand the appeal of displaying a logo, but if the unit is left on permanently the pixels for that logo will cause uneven wearing, even dimmed. Ideally I would have preferred the display to go totally off after a number of hours.

Its a LEGAL requirement to indicate the unit is powered, as the MDAC has no power LED we have to use the display...

The greatly dimmed display will last many ten's of thousands hours longer, its basically at almost the lowest usable setting - where ageing of the OLED panel is no longer a concern... With OLED displays its a case along the lines of reducing the panel current by half, and lifetime increase by x10... when you get to the very low currents as we are using for the logo, lifetime is not even indicated on the graphs...

Also, the panel is no longer scanning - with no Bus traffic to the panel which should help to improve audio quality when the logo is "Statically" displayed

John

@chufelix: You also have to be running OS Lion (10.7). I wish someone would prove me wrong, but I have 2 Macs, both with 10.6, and in virtual mode (I have both Parallels and VMFusion) as well as Bootcamp, the file won't run; an error msg. shows.

Once you're under Bootcamp or virtual machine, it makes no difference which OS X version you're otherwise running. How exactly it "won't run"? Try running the updater from command prompt (Start->Run->cmd) and take a screenshot of the window after execution. This way the window won't close immediately upon error and you'll get to see any error message left behind.

With virtual machine of course one has to first manually connect the USB device to the virtualized Windows through virtual machine's menu. Otherwise it's still loaded under OS X and not Windows, therefore the updater can't see the M-DAC.

Native OS X update will be released later (really just waiting for official release of Xcode for Mountain Lion)

Its a LEGAL requirement to indicate the unit is powered, as the MDAC has no power LED we have to use the display...

The greatly dimmed display will last many ten's of thousands hours longer, its basically at almost the lowest usable setting - where ageing of the OLED panel is no longer a concern... With OLED displays its a case along the lines of reducing the panel current by half, and lifetime increase by x10... when you get to the very low currents as we are using for the logo, lifetime is not even indicated on the graphs...

Also, the panel is no longer scanning - with no Bus traffic to the panel which should help to improve audio quality when the logo is "Statically" displayed

John

Thank you for the very complete explanation there! I appreciate it. I understand the requirement for a power indication. Maybe the MDAC v2 can have an LED. :)

Hi John,

This is very interesting. Did the firmware get upgraded at the same time as the hardware changes?

Thanks

I haven't been part of the MDAC threads as they have become far to technical for me. I'm back as I feel I have something of real interest to share.
I recently fried my MDAC and John kindly offered to fix it if I sent it to him, whilst he had it a believe he wanted to experiment with mods and upgrades on it. I got it back from john a couple of weeks ago and for the last week I have had a standard MDAC running side by side for me to make comparisons. below is two emails I sent to John of my findings.

It's quite clear the Moded DAC is better, Overall I find the Moded Dac to have what you would hope for; instruments seem to stand out more, it has more attack (a snare or a guitar strum will present itself clearer) bass seems more tuneful, more detail which I would describe as more texture. I guess the most important thing is it draws you into(makes you more interested in) the music.
Switching back to the stock version it still sounds tremendous but a little bland in comparison, less involving / interesting. Once you get used to the standard DAC you forget and all sounds good, as it is good; go back to the moded DAC and all is richer, more involving and more of what you want.
How do my findings compare with yours? What exactly did you do to the DAC?
Since my last email I have been using Epos ES22's, being a really revealing speaker it has shown the difference between the DAC's is a lot bigger than I thought!
The stock dac is really wooly and less detailed, less sparkle, less low end clarity, less attack, less separation and just less involving! Going back to the moved DAC the difference really is quite alarming, such a bigger and clearer sound. Guitars have more texture and rhythm, cymbals sparkle and your are REALLY involved in the music.

Are you able to tell me what you did to my DAC?

Sovereign,

Which firmware versions are on the two MDAC's you're comparing?

Thanks

Once you're under Bootcamp or virtual machine, it makes no difference which OS X version you're otherwise running. How exactly it "won't run"? Try running the updater from command prompt (Start->Run->cmd) and take a screenshot of the window after execution. This way the window won't close immediately upon error and you'll get to see any error message left behind.

With virtual machine of course one has to first manually connect the USB device to the virtualized Windows through virtual machine's menu. Otherwise it's still loaded under OS X and not Windows, therefore the updater can't see the M-DAC.

Native OS X update will be released later (really just waiting for official release of Xcode for Mountain Lion)

Hi Dom,

This is the error message (XP on virtual machine):

C: Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\mac-updateA_[1].06.exe
The application has failed to start because the application configuration is Incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem.

The M-DAC is on and showing as connected to the virtual machine.
I have a screenshot, but am failing miserably to insert it to this message. I can't find the attachment button.
Thanks,
Simon

Hi Dom,

This is the error message (XP on virtual machine):

C: Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\mac-updateA_[1].06.exe
The application has failed to start because the application configuration is Incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem.

The M-DAC is on and showing as connected to the virtual machine.
I have a screenshot, but am failing miserably to insert it to this message. I can't find the attachment button.
Thanks,
Simon

Do you get any error messages in event log? When I built a clean XP machine specifically for MDAC updates, I had to make sure the right VC++ redistributable was installed (2005 maybe?) - try that

EDIT: I have Visual C++ Redistributable 2005, 2008 & 2010 installed - I forget which one specifically resolved my issues - I suspect Dom may be able to tell you precisely which

EDIT EDIT: It's 2008 (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29)

Hi Simonom,

i got the same error message on MacOSX 10.6.8 and Parallels. I tried it fore ore five times but it is still the same message.

Uwe

The manual states that holding the Mute button will attenuate the output by 10dB (flashing level on the display). This has never worked consistently for me. However, if you then adjust the output level whilst it's flashing, downwards, that new level difference sticks. If you try adjusting the level in Mute mode to less than 10dB of the original level, the display stops flashing & that level now becomes the unmuted level. The upshot seems to be that we can adjust the differences in level as long as they are greater than 10dB - a pretty useful feature as you've discovered.

The above is bollocks, the level selected when flashing (holding down Mute) is fixed & doesn't track the normally selected one at all! Sorry for any confusion. You have the useful function of 2 independent levels to choose from. Doh!

Hi John/Dominik,

I noticed something odd which might be related to the front panel not updating - when resetting my settings (pressing both sel buttons when powering up) the settings are cleared. But if I then switch off (leaving the settings cleared) and on again, the settings revert to what they were *before* I cleared them. Does this give any clues as to what the update problem is and any possible resolution? Or should I just resign myself to a hardware related issue and forget about being able to update the firmware?

Many thanks again,
Krisposs

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back