advertisement

MDAC first listen (part X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi John/Dominik,

I noticed something odd which might be related to the front panel not updating - when resetting my settings (pressing both sel buttons when powering up) the settings are cleared. But if I then switch off (leaving the settings cleared) and on again, the settings revert to what they were *before* I cleared them. Does this give any clues as to what the update problem is and any possible resolution? Or should I just resign myself to a hardware related issue and forget about being able to update the firmware?

Many thanks again,
Krisposs

Krisposs,

Forwarded your post to Dominik - lets see if he can think of anything.

John

Sovereign,

Which firmware versions are on the two MDAC's you're comparing?

Thanks

I installed 0.96 on Sovereigns unit (which is very close to 0.90) - not sure what his loan unit has... most units shipped have 0.90

I had two units here during the tweaking process (both with the same software) - the SQ differences where orders greater then the software build changes.

John

I'm thinking along the lines of including these with the MPAX upgrade package - although off coarse the units will need to be returned to us in Czech Rep. for update.

John, would you be able to offer a variation on this for new purchases? Rather than us buying a new unit and shipping it to you, perhaps you could get the units direct from the factory. Saves shipping costs and chances of problems. Perhaps we could organise this through our normal retailers e.g. Bartletts in North London?

I'm contemplating buying an M-DAC next month. Would that be soon for MPAX?

John, would you be able to offer a variation on this for new purchases? Rather than us buying a new unit and shipping it to you, perhaps you could get the units direct from the factory. Saves shipping costs and chances of problems. Perhaps we could organise this through our normal retailers e.g. Bartletts in North London?

I'm contemplating buying an M-DAC next month. Would that be soon for MPAX?

Thats a sensible suggestion, I can talk with IAG UK about it - we might be able to supply the units directly and though chosen dealers...

MPAX will be released after the amps, so around Christmas...

Although this is longer then I originally imagined - I've now thought up a way to make the unit better then it would have originally been - in fact I'm now happy that it will offer a worthwhile upgrade - it was the niggling worry that the originally unit might not offer good value for money...

There will now only be one version (ignoring the full Stepped attenuator Pre-Amp option) - which requires the replacement of MDACs internal PSU board - this is the only method to do the job correctly.

Sure we will loose sales as there's now no plug and play option - but its about offering best performance for the money... We do have a reputation to maintain here :p ...

John

Yes, bass and weight is back on A0.6 when 180degree out of phase is selected. Have not compare to 0.90 if its the same but its definitely better than A.04.
John,
Looking forward, will future fw continue to have 2 phase? Thanks.

Yes, we will retain the A0.6 method of "Phase inversion" for all future releases.

John

MPAX will be released after the amps, so around Christmas...
There will now only be one version (ignoring the full Stepped attenuator Pre-Amp option) - which requires the replacement of MDACs internal PSU board - this is the only way to do the job correctly.
John

I'd prefer not to have to wait until Christmas for my M-DAC. So if IAG UK are okay with it could we potentially get an upgraded M-DAC from you (via normal retailer) and then get the new MPAX PSU at a later date?

You mentioned that there will now only be one version. I therefore assume that your service whereby you modify the MDAC's internal PSU board will only be a temporary offer and that the M-DAC v2 will manufactured in the factory, probably being generally available Christmas (?). So you're potentially offering those of us unwilling to wait a personal service just until the factory is geared up. Is that correct?

There will now only be one version (ignoring the full Stepped attenuator Pre-Amp option).

So where will the M-DAC sit in relation to the 8200DQ?

I think I saw you saw you say somewhere that there will be an updated version of the 8200DQ that would leap-frog the M-DAC.

I realise that the 8200DQ has analogue inputs and an analogue volume control that the M-DAC doesn't but terms of pure DAC quality is it the intention that the 8200DQ will be the superior product?

I'm not sure which of the two I should be thinking of buying.

I'd prefer not to have to wait until Christmas for my M-DAC. So if IAG UK are okay with it could we potentially get an upgraded M-DAC from you (via normal retailer) and then get the new MPAX PSU at a later date?

You mentioned that there will now only be one version. I therefore assume that your service whereby you modify the MDAC's internal PSU board will only be a temporary offer and that the M-DAC v2 will manufactured in the factory, probably being generally available Christmas (?). So you're potentially offering those of us unwilling to wait a personal service just until the factory is geared up. Is that correct?

We are offering the updates outside of IAG / Audiolab.

As we are updating the unit we have to take on the MDACs remaining warranty responsibilities.

The MDAC's can be upgraded at anytime after purchase.

John

So where will the M-DAC sit in relation to the 8200DQ?

I think I saw you saw you say somewhere that there will be an updated version of the 8200DQ that would leap-frog the M-DAC.

I realise that the 8200DQ has analogue inputs and an analogue volume control that the M-DAC doesn't but terms of pure DAC quality is it the intention that the 8200DQ will be the superior product?

I'm not sure which of the two I should be thinking of buying.

If you don't need analogue inputs (in fact the MPAX adds AV bypass and an optional line level analogue pre-amplifier), the MDAC offers by far the best performance.

I'm not sure where we stand with the MKII versions for 8200CD/CDQ - if they will apply to the 8200DQ as the DQ sells in such low numbers we might not recoup our tooling charges for the updated front panel etc.

Go with MDAC - and MPAX later... as it offers much higher performance.

John

Just updated to V06 & wanted to say thanks, i love that the display dims although i would like it to be able to go even dimmer or off altogether, the pausing playback when muting USB is pretty cool aswell, and medium bandwith sorts out the jitter from my V+ cable box

SQ wise it might even sound a bit better!

Just updated to V06 & wanted to say thanks, i love that the display dims although i would like it to be able to go even dimmer or off altogether, the pausing playback when muting USB is pretty cool aswell

Glad you like the update.

We CANNOT totally switch the display off as its a Legal requirement to indicate the unit is powered.

Not sure how many people have pick it up yet, but if you own a Logitech SBT then the volume control buttons on the SBT Remote handset control the MDAC's volume level.

You should disable the SBT own volume level - so that the gain control is performed in the MDAC - and the DATA from the SBT is bit perfect.

John

You mentioned that there will now only be one version. I therefore assume that your service whereby you modify the MDAC's internal PSU board will only be a temporary offer and that the M-DAC v2 will manufactured in the factory, probably being generally available Christmas (?).

The update PSU that will replace MDAC's internal board is only compatible with the M-PAX so will not be fitted as "Standard" from the factory as it will NOT be compatible with the MDAC's standard AC adaptor.

John

Hi John
You mentioned you were concerned that the upgrades would not make enough of a difference, I can assure you the upgrade is more than enough, it really has opened up the sound , made is crystal clear and so much more dynamic

John,
I like to be on the mpax pre order list but I will have to send the mdac to you for modification? I'm not sure if we can get the modification here in Singapore.

Hi John
You mentioned you were concerned that the upgrades would not make enough of a difference, I can assure you the upgrade is more than enough, it really has opened up the sound , made is crystal clear and so much more dynamic

Okay, so now I'm really confused. Are there two types of upgrade? John has just said that the M-DAC upgrade is not compatible with the existing PSU. The M-PAX will not be available until Christmas time.

Yes, we will retain the A0.6 method of "Phase inversion" for all future releases.

John

John,
First and foremost, thanks a million to you and Dom for your continued support and professionalism in further enhancing an already brilliant product! :)

A quick request as I am about to upgrade to A.06 from the original firmware - is there a readme file or guide on all the added features/fixes and some brief explanations around them - if not, are you an planning to put one together anytime soon so we can fully understand the new enhancements and how they may affect SQ etc. Thanks!

Cheers,
Vin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back