advertisement

MDAC first listen (part X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The MAMP will happily supply oodles of current - I'm designing it to drive my Martin Logan CLSIIz's and these get to 0.5 ohms in some places... the amplifier has 10 main output devices per channel.... its going to be a little power house...
John
Do you expect the MAMP to drive Martin Logans when bridged? (if my understanding of bridging is correct, each amp will then see only half the impedance, so the current demand could be huge!) - I don't think I'm going to need the power for my Summits, but I quite like the idea of placing the amps behind each speaker, or even perching them on top of the bass bin - may look cool... I think they will make an interesting comparison with my EAR890.

MTRN: Upcoming clock-locked cd transport. Also has 2nd USB input (up to 24/192) and a tuner module. Connected via two optical cables (spdif & clock sync) and therefor galvanically isolated. Name may be subject to change.
No Coaxial connection? I thought, that was better!

No Coaxial connection? I thought, that was better!

Audiophile myth! There is no substantive evidence to prove the well-known legend that co-ax, in general, "sounds" better.

On the other hand, it is a demonstrable fact that galvanic isolation, offered by optical links, has value.

Question for John, If you would be so kind.

I have had a an M-Dac for just over a week (from Movement Audio Poole)
Front Panel now shows "No Comms" and has ceased to function.
The unit will be swapped for a new M-Dac so no problem with warranty.
Just interested to know what could have caused this.
Unplugged laptop HP Pavilion DM1 (to use at my daughters wedding)
Returned home, plugged in same USB lead and now "No Comms"

Stuart

My first post so forgive me if I have breached protocol.

A local chap , now deceased built what is called a "constant Z attenuator , its a passive pre , remote controlled , What exactly is "constant Z"? and what are it's advantages

Z is impedance. A constant Z attenuator is one whose design arranges that, regardless of the amount of attenuation dialled-in, the input and output impedances remain the same. The principle dates from the time when all professional audio was handled on the basis of a 600Ω transmission line to cover distances of many miles; everything had a 600Ω input & output impedance and it was necessary, in this particular world, to have attenuators and amplifiers that conformed to this method of working.

In the context of the way modern kit is driven*, it's largely pointless.

* Typically, input impedances are reasonably high (10kΩ < 100kΩ) and output impedances are best as low as is practical.

Richard Kimber.

Slightly off topic......what do you use to control the N50? I love the sound of mine but hate the control app!

I haven't tried the app. I just use the remote control and squint at the screen from a distance :mad:
I was thinking of getting a Kindle Fire or a Google Nexus 7 so that I could run the app. But if it's no good .... maybe a pair of binoculars would help ;). I have the same problem with the dimmed MDAC screen, but selecting the source is about the only frequent change I make, and that's not so difficult from a distance.

- Richard.

Interesting, do they both pass the bit-perfect tests?

I thought the bit perfect test was just for USB. The N50 streamer is surely essentially just grabbing the file from the HD, as is, without any modification (so it's bit-perfect by definition), whereas with USB there's a possibility that the PC re-samples the music unless you're careful. My USB connection does pass the test if I choose the right music player on my Linux PC and set the right sound card preferences. Some music players do and some don't it seems. The one I use, which also plays gaplessly, is Xfmpc. It's not a very sophisticated piece of software, but it works.

- Richard.

bit perfect test is a valid test whatever your connection.. Gives peace of mind that nothing is messing with the original files.

Sam

I thought the bit perfect test was just for USB. The N50 streamer is surely essentially just grabbing the file from the HD, as is, without any modification (so it's bit-perfect by definition), whereas with USB there's a possibility that the PC re-samples the music unless you're careful. My USB connection does pass the test if I choose the right music player on my Linux PC and set the right sound card preferences. Some music players do and some don't it seems. The one I use, which also plays gaplessly, is Xfmpc. It's not a very sophisticated piece of software, but it works.

- Richard.

Bit-perfect tests are useful for any connection. I'm just curious - if both passed the bit-perfect tests then theoretically the async USB will always outperform coax or s/pdif. Unless there's additional noise on the USB cable I suppose...

Been away for a bit - what's the latest firmware and what benefit would it bring to my MDAC over v0.99 (which is what I have right now)?

Also, any rough timescale for the MPAX, John? I know that you've probably answered this somewhere recently but buggered if I can find it...

Link to the official wiki is in my sig, latest version (A08) has phase options and screen dimming (amongst other tweaks)

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back