advertisement

MDAC first listen (part X)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krisposs12

John,

Have tried updating with other firmware revisions and the updater software always stops after the mainboard with that message I mentioned (i.e. Replied '-' although on one occasion the - was a superscript 3 instead). Although I am using a different computer for the update than the one I used to upgrade from 0.90 to 0.99, it may well be that there's some hardware issue that is preventing the front panel from being updated - no biggie, I am more than happy with how the M-DAC sounds/performs with V0.99/0.97 and don't feel a desperate urge to update the firmware (I don't leave it on all the time because it gets very hot so am not perturbed by the display not dimming). However, should I decide to get the MPAX upgrade (rather than just getting a BDAC instead) would you possibly be able to repair this fault at the same time? Assuming it is a hardware issue of course?

Many thanks
Krisposs

However, should I decide to get the MPAX upgrade (rather than just getting a BDAC instead) would you possibly be able to repair this fault at the same time? Assuming it is a hardware issue of course?

Yes, no problem...

John

I haven't been part of the MDAC threads as they have become far to technical for me. I'm back as I feel I have something of real interest to share.
I recently fried my MDAC and John kindly offered to fix it if I sent it to him, whilst he had it a believe he wanted to experiment with mods and upgrades on it. I got it back from john a couple of weeks ago and for the last week I have had a standard MDAC running side by side for me to make comparisons. below is two emails I sent to John of my findings.

It's quite clear the Moded DAC is better, Overall I find the Moded Dac to have what you would hope for; instruments seem to stand out more, it has more attack (a snare or a guitar strum will present itself clearer) bass seems more tuneful, more detail which I would describe as more texture. I guess the most important thing is it draws you into(makes you more interested in) the music.
Switching back to the stock version it still sounds tremendous but a little bland in comparison, less involving / interesting. Once you get used to the standard DAC you forget and all sounds good, as it is good; go back to the moded DAC and all is richer, more involving and more of what you want.
How do my findings compare with yours? What exactly did you do to the DAC?
Since my last email I have been using Epos ES22's, being a really revealing speaker it has shown the difference between the DAC's is a lot bigger than I thought!
The stock dac is really wooly and less detailed, less sparkle, less low end clarity, less attack, less separation and just less involving! Going back to the moved DAC the difference really is quite alarming, such a bigger and clearer sound. Guitars have more texture and rhythm, cymbals sparkle and your are REALLY involved in the music.

Are you able to tell me what you did to my DAC?

I haven't been part of the MDAC threads as they have become far to technical for me. I'm back as I feel I have something of real interest to share.
I recently fried my MDAC and John kindly offered to fix it if I sent it to him, whilst he had it a believe he wanted to experiment with mods and upgrades on it. I got it back from john a couple of weeks ago and for the last week I have had a standard MDAC running side by side for me to make comparisons. below is two emails I sent to John of my findings.

It's quite clear the Moded DAC is better, Overall I find the Moded Dac to have what you would hope for; instruments seem to stand out more, it has more attack (a snare or a guitar strum will present itself clearer) bass seems more tuneful, more detail which I would describe as more texture. I guess the most important thing is it draws you into(makes you more interested in) the music.
Switching back to the stock version it still sounds tremendous but a little bland in comparison, less involving / interesting. Once you get used to the standard DAC you forget and all sounds good, as it is good; go back to the moded DAC and all is richer, more involving and more of what you want.
How do my findings compare with yours? What exactly did you do to the DAC?
Since my last email I have been using Epos ES22's, being a really revealing speaker it has shown the difference between the DAC's is a lot bigger than I thought!
The stock dac is really wooly and less detailed, less sparkle, less low end clarity, less attack, less separation and just less involving! Going back to the moved DAC the difference really is quite alarming, such a bigger and clearer sound. Guitars have more texture and rhythm, cymbals sparkle and your are REALLY involved in the music.

Are you able to tell me what you did to my DAC?

Was going to ask how you got on... just to confirm this is the new board upgrade in the MDAC for the MPAX or something new ?

Good news on your findings ! Cheers for update

IMG_1499

Just upgraded to latest firmware (was still on original) and its really put the finishing touches to an already fantastic piece of kit.

Listening to Frank Black with a can of Hobgoblin ... :cool:

Cheers for your hardwork Dom/John very much appreciated.

I'll give it a go tomorrow John...the pub is calling, and any messing around later might not be under the best 'controlled' conditions ;)

Cheers again
let me know how you go ... I've downloaded A06, but I'm sticking with A05 for now ....

the bass and soundstage are back baby!! listening to Neil Young .. "out on a weekend" .... from Harvest....

Hi all,

New to the MDAC family. I have to admit I don't know much about the firmware stuff.
I am using Mac, is there a post to show me what to do to update the firmware?
If it can only do upgrade via Windows, I have bootcamp to do that.
(but I listen to music in my Mac OS).

And the picture that John shows is awesome.

Thanks
Felix

Yes, bass and weight is back on A0.6 when 180degree out of phase is selected. Have not compare to 0.90 if its the same but its definitely better than A.04.
John,
Looking forward, will future fw continue to have 2 phase? Thanks.

let me know how you go ... I've downloaded A06, but I'm sticking with A05 for now ....

the bass and soundstage are back baby!! listening to Neil Young .. "out on a weekend" .... from Harvest....

Unlikely that I'll get a chance for a while, off on a bike ride today, got a mates b'day tonight, and away to Spain for a week tomorrow...So like yourself I'll stick with A05 for the foreseeable...and very much enjoying it :)

5ea96867-69b9-84b1.jpg

Looks good to me. Thanks very much. :)

Thanks for the feedback and advice. I'm in France, and I know they had no stock, but they managed to get the unit in one week. So we'll see.

Sorry for your problem, I'm sure Phil (the French distributor) will resolve the issue for you.

John

Coooooooool as owt!!

Got to have 'em now.

Shipping dates for the M-amp yet John?

Hi Arthur,

Thank you... I must say that it looks like a very nice system when you see them stacked up in real life - even with the first prototypes :)

I'm starting the PCB design for the amplifier this week - its a "New" amplifier circuit topology so I hope I don't discover some hidden shortcomings.... I've spent a huge amount of time with computer simulators to understand the inner workings of the design - optimising the many requirements such as clipping stability, audio measurement performance, thermal & production stability while aiming for the best audio performance - these often don't go hand in hand...

I hope that once it built its not going to be a bugger on the lab bench to get working and stable... theirs a great difference between computer simulations and real life - although really it boils down to understanding and applying the correct simulation techniques and interpretations of the results...

I'd like to believe that the first MAMPS will start leaving our doors around Christmas...

I am using Mac, is there a post to show me what to do to update the firmware?
If it can only do upgrade via Windows, I have bootcamp to do that.
(but I listen to music in my Mac OS).

And the picture that John shows is awesome.

Thanks
Felix

Hi Felix,

Sorry I'm not a MAC user (only because you cannot get a decent PCB CAD package for the MAC).

If you can run XP / Windows under bootcamp then you should be able to run the later updates.

Just download the file, insure your MDAC is plugged into your MDAC's USB port and powered on (MDAC displays "ready"), then just run the software...

I believe its that simple...

John

Was going to ask how you got on... just to confirm this is the new board upgrade in the MDAC for the MPAX or something new ?

Good news on your findings ! Cheers for update

Hi Phil,

On Sovereign unit I updated the local PSU around the ESS DAC IC - so the same motherboard / PSU board, with only local component changes (and additions).

I'm thinking along the lines of including these with the MPAX upgrade package - although off coarse the units will need to be returned to us in Czech Rep. for update.

I'm cautious at the moment as I don't have a reference system that I can trust - I felt that the improvements to Sovereign unit where significant, but its a touchy subject to change units sound quality, there's no "one sound that fits all" - just look at the software / filter debates :)

For sure the sound stage was a massive improvement & much greater instrument separation (not an area the MDAC can be called weak with in the first instance) - the Bass was deeper more controlled - but this can appear to "lighten" the Bass on smaller bookshelf speaker that cannot go deep. Its a cheap trick to "thicken" the Mid Bass which gives PRAT to smaller speakers - its all about getting the balance right.

I guess you could say that the updates build on the strengths of the MDAC while reducing its weaknesses, which is good!

It was hard to send Sovereign unit back, I was sad to see it go...

John

@chufelix: You also have to be running OS Lion (10.7). I wish someone would prove me wrong, but I have 2 Macs, both with 10.6, and in virtual mode (I have both Parallels and VMFusion) as well as Bootcamp, the file won't run; an error msg. shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back