advertisement

MDAC first listen (part X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
John,
First and foremost, thanks a million to you and Dom for your continued support and professionalism in further enhancing an already brilliant product! :)

A quick request as I am about to upgrade to A.06 from the original firmware - is there a readme file or guide on all the added features/fixes and some brief explanations around them - if not, are you an planning to put one together anytime soon so we can fully understand the new enhancements and how they may affect SQ etc. Thanks!

Cheers,
Vin.

+1. :)

Okay, so now I'm really confused. Are there two types of upgrade? John has just said that the M-DAC upgrade is not compatible with the existing PSU. The M-PAX will not be available until Christmas time.

Sovereign is referring to modifications to the MDAC's Mainboard - these will be in addition to the MPAX and internal PSU PCB upgrade and be implemented without the MPAX.

The Mainboard modifications will be offered as bundled package with MPAX upgrade when its available.

Sorry for the confusion,

John

John,
First and foremost, thanks a million to you and Dom for your continued support and professionalism in further enhancing an already brilliant product! :)

A quick request as I am about to upgrade to A.06 from the original firmware - is there a readme file or guide on all the added features/fixes and some brief explanations around them - if not, are you an planning to put one together anytime soon so we can fully understand the new enhancements and how they may affect SQ etc. Thanks!

Cheers,
Vin.

There are three things never to trust me with:-

1. Time-scales

2. Having to write anything / Paperwork / Spelling

3 Women in boots

Maybe I get Dominik to write something...

John

Hi John
You mentioned you were concerned that the upgrades would not make enough of a difference, I can assure you the upgrade is more than enough, it really has opened up the sound , made is crystal clear and so much more dynamic

:) - I miss your unit, are you sure you dont want to send it back again for repair :p

If it means more mods I'll pop it in the post on Monday, along with a blow up doll in boots!

:cool: :p Thanks for the offer, I live in Czech Rep. no need for the doll - we have the real deal here... Just shame I don't get out of the lab more!!!

Has something changed with the Bit Perfect test?

I originally used it with v0.90 (revision 2 guide)and it said.
'Awaiting Trigger' (played test track) then read 'passing test'

With v A0.4 it said 'Replay The Test File' 'Ready' upon playing it then says 'Scanning for match' with 16bit/44.1Khz below. Upon completion of the track it just reverts back to 'Replay The Test File'.

Does the display of 16Bit indicate test passed?

I'm now on A0.6 (I was'nt fast enough to catch A0.5 :D ) interestingly when changing firmware my right channel volume problem reappears.

Anyway many thanks for a much appreciated service and superb product :cool:

Has something changed with the Bit Perfect test?

I originally used it with v0.90 (revision 2 guide)and it said.
'Awaiting Trigger' (played test track) then read 'passing test'

With v A0.4 it said 'Replay The Test File' 'Ready' upon playing it then says 'Scanning for match' with 16bit/44.1Khz below. Upon completion of the track it just reverts back to 'Replay The Test File'.

Does the display of 16Bit indicate test passed?

I'm now on A0.6 (I was'nt fast enough to catch A0.5 :D ) interestingly when changing firmware my right channel volume problem reappears.

Anyway many thanks for a much appreciated service and superb product :cool:

I believe it should display "passing test" - if I recall correctly there was an update to the Bit Perfect test file itself...

Has anyone else run the test recently?

The update PSU that will replace MDAC's internal board is only compatible with the M-PAX so will not be fitted as "Standard" from the factory as it will NOT be compatible with the MDAC's standard AC adaptor.

John
Hi John,

That means for those who wanted to get the the M-PAX upgrade. We need to ship the MDAC for you to change the internal PSU in order to be compatible with the MPAX. So when will this realized? And what will be the lead time for it to be completed? Please advise.

Hi Arthur,

Thank you... I must say that it looks like a very nice system when you see them stacked up in real life - even with the first prototypes :)

I'm starting the PCB design for the amplifier this week - its a "New" amplifier circuit topology so I hope I don't discover some hidden shortcomings.... I've spent a huge amount of time with computer simulators to understand the inner workings of the design - optimising the many requirements such as clipping stability, audio measurement performance, thermal & production stability while aiming for the best audio performance - these often don't go hand in hand...

I hope that once it built its not going to be a bugger on the lab bench to get working and stable... theirs a great difference between computer simulations and real life - although really it boils down to understanding and applying the correct simulation techniques and interpretations of the results...

I'd like to believe that the first MAMPS will start leaving our doors around Christmas...

Hi John.

Thanks for that info; it suits me perfectly.

By then I'll have the new Mdac and a new veneer on my speakers so I'll be desperate for a pair of M-amps.

I think the stack is going to be awesome looking.

As usual I'd like to be on the list please?

And if there really are 'real' booted dolls all over Czech Republic then I may postpone the mpax purchase and pop over for a weekend :):)

I believe it should display "passing test" - if I recall correctly there was an update to the Bit Perfect test file itself...

Has anyone else run the test recently?

Yes i ran it last night after updating to A0.6 and i think it did say "Passing test" but i will check again, it did definitely say "test passed" at the end though !

Thanks for all the updates John and Dominic, and i look forward to the MPAX and the amps when available :)

Hi John,

That means for those who wanted to get the the M-PAX upgrade. We need to ship the MDAC for you to change the internal PSU in order to be compatible with the MPAX. So when will this realized? And what will be the lead time for it to be completed? Please advise.

If you can do without the Mainboard updates, then its relatively easy to exchange the internal the PSU - the hardest part is to open the MDAC casework - the Torx screws on the side can be a right pain to remove. On a recent unit, I damaged 3 Torx screw drivers to open a single unit!!!

Christmas time frame...

John

I get the same result as misterdog with a06, but I've noticed if I stack a number of the test files in foobar and jump forward tracks while its scanning for match it eventually locks to one and displays passing test. I just thought it was a latency issue with foobar maybe I've got an old version of the test file or is it the new FW?

If you can do without the Mainboard updates, then its relatively easy to exchange the internal the PSU - the hardest part is to open the MDAC casework - the Torx screws on the side can be a right pain to remove. On a recent unit, I damaged 3 Torx screw drivers to open a single unit!!!

Christmas time frame...

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the updates. Kindly inform us on the progress. Cheers.

Hi John.

Thanks for that info; it suits me perfectly.

By then I'll have the new Mdac and a new veneer on my speakers so I'll be desperate for a pair of M-amps.

I think the stack is going to be awesome looking.

As usual I'd like to be on the list please?

And if there really are 'real' booted dolls all over Czech Republic then I may postpone the mpax purchase and pop over for a weekend :):)

Let our Czech 'real' booted dolls be. They are only for us! :-D

Another successful A06 here. Is my system with MDAC (A06) + external PSU, Hackernap and Ergo IXs the most PFM based system?? Source is a netbook with absolutely nothing to do with PFM!

I'll have the beer, no question. And a look at the booted dolls if I may?

But bears???

Not even after the beers! :D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back