Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

MDAC First Listen (part 00111010)

Discussion in 'audio' started by JohnW, Jun 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guest432

Guest432 Guest

Yes

Joe, gints, jamjar784 and 2 others like this.
  2. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Fine. So who decides if a comment is constructive or not?

3. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

If you are unsure whether it's constuctive or not that probably says it all.

4. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

Tony has made it clear that this is now a platform to ensure that those who have paid money into the project get what they paid for. It will not be allowed to turn into a rubber-necker’s wet dream. If you haven’t got a dog in the race, you’re probably commenting unnecessarily.

<moderating>

5. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

I look forward to seeing that particular outcome. Thanks for the clarification.

AndyU likes this.
  6. bernardhepworth

bernardhepworth pfm Member

Hi dtd

Can you post some pictures of the streamer?

I'm interested in buying on to replace my raspberry pi.

Thanks

kennyh likes this.
  7. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

You’ve to keep schtum until September 2019 Harry. It’s all to be delivered by then.

HarryB likes this.
  8. ti33er

ti33er pfm Member

I’m ambidextrous and a bit lysdexic but not brilliant at anything, otherwise I’d design my own DAC, Amplifiers and even loudSpeakers...heck, maybe even build an exotic set of cables with Superglue and sheathed with woven Donkey tail hair for extra Beta Carotene radiation protection.

Good to hear from you John and hope all is well, sincerely :)

Morph3R and JohnW like this.
  9. beammeup

beammeup pfm Member

Hi, I also have the mini-streamer from John - I am interested - are you running over wireless or Ethernet (wired)? I'm personally getting stuttering when listening to Classical FM over Wi-Fi which I am not getting with any of my other Wi-Fi streamers? Also my Spotify plug-in is not populating with my playlists?

10. jansen

jansen pfm Member

My LakeWest Ministreamer is working perfectly over wifi. No problems with internet radio stations or tidal streaming. No experiences with spotify here.

JohnW likes this.
  11. JohnW

JohnW pfm member

I've just installed the Software version installed on your unit and listened to Classic FM via WiFi here in the Czech Rep. and not heard a dropout (well over 5 minutes of listening) - how often do you experience dropouts with Classic FM?

Please try a wired LAN connection to rule out issues with the WiFi connection.

Just to confirm you have fitted the external WiFi Antenna to the rear of the streamer?

12. JohnW

JohnW pfm member

Also, might be worth confirming your unit is not overheating and the CPU is not throttling.

On a web browser, enter your units IP address followed by /dev

At the bottom of the page you will see system diagnostics information - with CPU temp, which should be less then 80DegC. A system temp of above 85DegC results in CPU is trotting.

13. dtd

dtd pfm Member

@beammeup I'm using wired ethernet only and its stable.

I've removed the stock software and installed DietPi (very stripped down linux) + HQPlayer NAA. Discrete DSD DAC means HQPlayer everything.

14. dtd

dtd pfm Member

@beammeup can you force your mini-streamer to use 5ghz wifi band if you have it available? 2.4ghz can get congested. But as mentioned wired ethernet is ofcourse trouble free.

15. beammeup

beammeup pfm Member

Great ideas above - I can strip out Volumino I guess and load another operating system - but for now I am trying to determine why Volumino does not come up trumps.

/dev shows the following

1. Power Status: 0
      Board Revision: 1
      Firmware Revision: 117
      Voltage: 18.57 V
      Current: 296 mA
      Power: 5.49 W
      DAC Voltage: 5.32 V
      DAC Current: 0 mA
      DAC Power: 0 W
      Temperature: 45.1' C
      Streamer Software Version: 1.001

16. beammeup

beammeup pfm Member

Yes I installed the WiFi antenna. I will get a long Ethernet cable from work tomorrow and see if direct connectivity fairs better - it's just awkward having the router upstairs and the hi-fi downstairs in this regard. The Yamaha CD-N500 which streams well uses an Sky external wireless connector plugged into the Ethernet port of the Yamaha (the Yam does not come with WiFi so this is how I overcome it). I thought I would try using the same Sky external wireless connector into the back of the Streambox to keep thing even with the Yamaha which is having no issues - stuttering was still bad on Classic FM (whereas it was perfect on the CD-N500).

Additional - in a room even farther away from the Wi-Fi router (the Den as we call it) Netflix runs perfectly.

17. beammeup

beammeup pfm Member

I'm really going to persevere with the Streambox until I get either one of these two issues working:

1. Classic FM's stuttering, 2. Spotify showing my playlist which is does not after I logged in.

I like the way the Streambox is designed using a dedicated wireless antenna like this, so I would expect better WiFi than - for example - the Auralic Mini Streamer which again streams flawlessly like the Yamaha does.

18. dtd

dtd pfm Member

@beammeup you dont need to replace the software necessarily. I did this as the volumio build is currently using an older version of Debian, which makes installing packages such as HQPlayer NAA very difficult. If your not installing packages that require Debian Stretch as the base, i'd stay as is unless you feel the need to fiddle.

19. saturn9

saturn9 stoic

I also had a problem with running Volumio on a pi where all my playlists disappeared. I couldn't find a way to reinstate them so switched back to piCorePlayer. Been fine since. Shame because I quite liked volumio.

20. beammeup

beammeup pfm Member

Well I will check this all out with Volumino first - to see if there is a limitation with the Spotify plug-in - it's good to know that it's not just me with this issue.

JohnW has passed my email address to the Volumino support engineer for me.

I'm going to be stressing the Streambox out to its limits because I am experienced with other streamed solutions - so if am likely to find all the warts if there are any - just keep an eye out on my posts if you need any updates on this. I would also welcome any other feedback from Streambox users.

My other streamed solutions are as follows:

Yamaha CD-N500 (CD player come streamer)
    The humble Google Chromecast Audio
    Auralic Aries Mini
    SOtM sMS-200 Ultra

Oh, while I remember, I also have the sPS 500 power supply - there is an output selection for 19V, will that be safe John to use with your 18V connection in the Streambox? May as-well supply clean power if there's a chance I can do so with equipment I already own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.