advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont believe there is a forum ban for constructive comments regardless of who you are, but needless or antagonistic comments that serve no purpose except to make yourself feel better or ruin someone’s day and are better off not said.

Fine. So who decides if a comment is constructive or not?

Tony has made it clear that this is now a platform to ensure that those who have paid money into the project get what they paid for. It will not be allowed to turn into a rubber-necker’s wet dream. If you haven’t got a dog in the race, you’re probably commenting unnecessarily.

<moderating>

Tony has made it clear that this is now a platform to ensure that those who have paid money into the project get what they paid for. It will not be allowed to turn into a rubber-necker’s wet dream. If you haven’t got a dog in the race, you’re probably commenting unnecessarily.

<moderating>

I look forward to seeing that particular outcome. Thanks for the clarification.

I’m ambidextrous and a bit lysdexic but not brilliant at anything, otherwise I’d design my own DAC, Amplifiers and even loudSpeakers...heck, maybe even build an exotic set of cables with Superglue and sheathed with woven Donkey tail hair for extra Beta Carotene radiation protection.

Good to hear from you John and hope all is well, sincerely :)

I received a mini-streamer from @JohnW a few weeks ago, and have had it running for the last week or so. I'm using a chinese made Studer 900 18v PSU (linear) to power it. Running HQPlayer's NAA (DSD 512) on it using DietPi, its a clear improvement over the Allo USB Bridge despite only running in for a week. Lovely small chassis as well.

Hi, I also have the mini-streamer from John - I am interested - are you running over wireless or Ethernet (wired)? I'm personally getting stuttering when listening to Classical FM over Wi-Fi which I am not getting with any of my other Wi-Fi streamers? Also my Spotify plug-in is not populating with my playlists?

My LakeWest Ministreamer is working perfectly over wifi. No problems with internet radio stations or tidal streaming. No experiences with spotify here.

I've just installed the Software version installed on your unit and listened to Classic FM via WiFi here in the Czech Rep. and not heard a dropout (well over 5 minutes of listening) - how often do you experience dropouts with Classic FM?

Please try a wired LAN connection to rule out issues with the WiFi connection.

Just to confirm you have fitted the external WiFi Antenna to the rear of the streamer?

Also, might be worth confirming your unit is not overheating and the CPU is not throttling.

On a web browser, enter your units IP address followed by /dev

At the bottom of the page you will see system diagnostics information - with CPU temp, which should be less then 80DegC. A system temp of above 85DegC results in CPU is trotting.

@beammeup I'm using wired ethernet only and its stable.

I've removed the stock software and installed DietPi (very stripped down linux) + HQPlayer NAA. Discrete DSD DAC means HQPlayer everything.

@beammeup can you force your mini-streamer to use 5ghz wifi band if you have it available? 2.4ghz can get congested. But as mentioned wired ethernet is ofcourse trouble free.

Great ideas above - I can strip out Volumino I guess and load another operating system - but for now I am trying to determine why Volumino does not come up trumps.

/dev shows the following

1. Power Status: 0
    Board Revision: 1
    Firmware Revision: 117
    Voltage: 18.57 V
    Current: 296 mA
    Power: 5.49 W
    DAC Voltage: 5.32 V
    DAC Current: 0 mA
    DAC Power: 0 W
    Temperature: 45.1' C
    Streamer Software Version: 1.001

I've just installed the Software version installed on your unit and listened to Classic FM via WiFi here in the Czech Rep. and not heard a dropout (well over 5 minutes of listening) - how often do you experience dropouts with Classic FM?

Please try a wired LAN connection to rule out issues with the WiFi connection.

Just to confirm you have fitted the external WiFi Antenna to the rear of the streamer?

Yes I installed the WiFi antenna. I will get a long Ethernet cable from work tomorrow and see if direct connectivity fairs better - it's just awkward having the router upstairs and the hi-fi downstairs in this regard. The Yamaha CD-N500 which streams well uses an Sky external wireless connector plugged into the Ethernet port of the Yamaha (the Yam does not come with WiFi so this is how I overcome it). I thought I would try using the same Sky external wireless connector into the back of the Streambox to keep thing even with the Yamaha which is having no issues - stuttering was still bad on Classic FM (whereas it was perfect on the CD-N500).

Additional - in a room even farther away from the Wi-Fi router (the Den as we call it) Netflix runs perfectly.

I'm really going to persevere with the Streambox until I get either one of these two issues working:

1. Classic FM's stuttering, 2. Spotify showing my playlist which is does not after I logged in.

I like the way the Streambox is designed using a dedicated wireless antenna like this, so I would expect better WiFi than - for example - the Auralic Mini Streamer which again streams flawlessly like the Yamaha does.

@beammeup you dont need to replace the software necessarily. I did this as the volumio build is currently using an older version of Debian, which makes installing packages such as HQPlayer NAA very difficult. If your not installing packages that require Debian Stretch as the base, i'd stay as is unless you feel the need to fiddle.

I also had a problem with running Volumio on a pi where all my playlists disappeared. I couldn't find a way to reinstate them so switched back to piCorePlayer. Been fine since. Shame because I quite liked volumio.

Well I will check this all out with Volumino first - to see if there is a limitation with the Spotify plug-in - it's good to know that it's not just me with this issue.

JohnW has passed my email address to the Volumino support engineer for me.

I'm going to be stressing the Streambox out to its limits because I am experienced with other streamed solutions - so if am likely to find all the warts if there are any - just keep an eye out on my posts if you need any updates on this. I would also welcome any other feedback from Streambox users.

My other streamed solutions are as follows:

Yamaha CD-N500 (CD player come streamer)
The humble Google Chromecast Audio
Auralic Aries Mini
SOtM sMS-200 Ultra

Oh, while I remember, I also have the sPS 500 power supply - there is an output selection for 19V, will that be safe John to use with your 18V connection in the Streambox? May as-well supply clean power if there's a chance I can do so with equipment I already own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back