advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
John had a post describing the 3 new different clock options for mdac2 in Facebook like 1 week ago. He seems to be ignoring terms Tony posted earlier...

From Face:

Lakewest Audio Like the Pink Triangle Dacapo, the MDAC2 Clock section is the most complex circuit block. With a discrete DAC design, the Clock circuit (and PSU) determines the DAC's performance.

The MDAC2 has 3 clock options, (Basic, Adv. Option 1 & Adv Option 2). The advanced clock options are more to aid me with my pending PhD research which will encompass the Detox decorrelation. There will be a possibility to have MDAC2 with advanced decorrelation, but its being designed to allow future optimisation once I completed the PFM projects and can start work on my PhD. The MDAC2 hardware will be used to aid my research. The idea is that results of my research can be uploaded via a firmware update to MDAC2’s fitted with the advanced clock options.

The MDAC2 advanced clock option 1 is an advancement of the Decorrelator circuit in Detox – while having hardware to enable more optimised Decorrelation once I’ve had the time to develop it further (I really want to start my PhD in September 2019, so I plan to complete all PFM projects by then).

Advanced clock option II is really a lab grade option just to meet the requirements’ of a calibrated clock source to fulfill the need for a scientifically controlled and repeatable clock source (to meet the needs of a research device) – as such its not primarily related to sound quality, although I’m sure there will be a sonic impact – so its not intended for the average HiFi users.

I do hope that during the course of my research I will have a trusted group of listeners with the Adv. Clock option II installed who can give “Blind listening” feedback of the research developments. These MDAC2’s with Adv. Clock option II will be very special build units as I will need to insure each unit performs exactly as my reference unit so I can trust the results of the research listening tests :)

Sounds like John is saying VFETs will be done by then too? This sounds optimistic (which makes me feel the opposite) but perhaps the MDAC2 will get done.

Is the FDAC that I was holding out for a thing anymore?

Thanks for the update.

Sounds like John is saying VFETs will be done by then too? This sounds optimistic (which makes me feel the opposite) but perhaps the MDAC2 will get done.

Is the FDAC that I was holding out for a thing anymore?

Thanks for the update.

The amplifier is much easier than the DAC, which is why I am not buying the amplifier.

Christ.
He uses insure when he means ensure.

And I REALLY DON'T give a damn!!!

When YOU can design semiconductors / products and research technologies that I work with - I can assure you NOBODY cares "He uses insure when he means ensure" = Trolling...

I can also say that pretty much everyone I work with also suffer from some form of "Dyslexia", its almost as if the brain is wired differently for people who are creative / or Visual thinkers.

Post like yours can only cause harm to Dyslexia suffers as they face constant judgment though life from people like yourself - it has NO relevance to there abilities in other areas. If ANYONE purchased my designs based upon my English abilities they would be sorely disappointed :D

I'd almost go afar to say that if I where a recruitment agent searching for creative thinkers - being "Dyslexia" would be a prime requirement! :)

Last edited:
I don't care about his English, why is this not good enough?, it's got jitter of 54femto seconds of jitter at 12KHz, ought to be enough for anybody :).

http://www.ti.com/product/lmk04832

No intention to be rude here - but just a little pissed about statements that are fundamentally incorrect that can only cast a confusing light on the complexities and challenges of the design.

If you look at the Phase Noise plot on page 19 you will observe your proposed "Super part" with 60.666 fsec of RMS jitter has a phase noise floor in the audio band:-

100Hz = -98dB

1KHz = -105dB

10KHz = -112dB

Its obvious that these figures are 1000 to 10,000 times too high to achieve our target of say 120dB to 125dB dynamic range across the audio BW with a 1bit system - note a 1bit system that only gives a 6dB attenuation of any input phase noise.

The MDAC2 clock section is the most advanced clock circuit I've ever designed, and I really "Hope" it will perform to the required level when all the blocks are pieced together.

Last edited:

When YOU can design semiconductors / products and research technologies that I work with - I can assure you NOBODY cares "He uses insure when he means ensure" = Trolling...

I can also say that pretty much everyone I work with also suffer from some form of "Dyslexia", its almost as if the brain is wired differently for people who are creative / or Visual thinkers.

Post like yours can only cause harm to Dyslexia suffers as they face constant judgment though life from people like yourself - it has NO relevance to there abilities in other areas. If ANYONE purchased my designs based upon my English abilities they would be sorely disappointed :D

I'd almost go afar to say that if I where a recruitment agent searching for creative thinkers - being "Dyslexia" would be a prime requirement! :)

Bang on; dyslexia is very common pattern for good engineers. Almost seems like a requirement :-D

I received a mini-streamer from @JohnW a few weeks ago, and have had it running for the last week or so. I'm using a chinese made Studer 900 18v PSU (linear) to power it. Running HQPlayer's NAA (DSD 512) on it using DietPi, its a clear improvement over the Allo USB Bridge despite only running in for a week. Lovely small chassis as well.

here here john, as a fellow dislexic ;) such an irony they came up with a word impossible to spell with the condition. I too believe there is a strong correlation between creativity and visual talents with dyslexia, I'm left handed too, love maths and art/music and science.

I dont believe there is a forum ban for constructive comments regardless of who you are, but needless or antagonistic comments that serve no purpose except to make yourself feel better or ruin someone’s day and are better off not said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back