advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed that Roon works really well on the MiniStreamer, but I already have a Spotify family subscription, and couldn't justify Tidal/Qobuz as well.
I've resorted back to LMS with the UPnP bridge plugin. This gives me Spotify connect, iPlayer catchup and Radio Paradise Flac etc. When i get time I'm going to try to get Squeezelite working.

Agreed that Roon works really well on the MiniStreamer, but I already have a Spotify family subscription, and couldn't justify Tidal/Qobuz as well.
I've resorted back to LMS with the UPnP bridge plugin. This gives me Spotify connect, iPlayer catchup and Radio Paradise Flac etc. When i get time I'm going to try to get Squeezelite working.

Simon,

A few points to consider before discounting the streamer:-

1. LMS with UPnP can be installed on the Streamer hardware (just need to find a software guy who can do it)

2. There is a major software re-write in the works - this completely reworks the current UI (really needed)

3.There is a 3rd party Spotify connect Plug-in available for the current software

https://volumio.org/forum/spotify-connect-t2811-430.html

4. The MDAC2's streamer hardware is more advanced then the standalone streamer - with Detox mode when the MDAC2 PCB is fitted with advanced clock option 1

5. My personal usage case for the "streamer" is not so much external streaming services, but Local playback of files (from internal SSD).

Spotify Connect is very convenient especially when you have guests that want to play their play list or someone else in the house that insist on using Spotify.

Is it possible to install the Spotify connect plug in on the streamers version of Volumino or does it only work in the vanilla version of Volumio?

Spotify doesn't work on the MiniStreamer, for me at least. But following John's links above, it seems that the software mixer has to be bypassed - set volume to 'None' not Hardware or Software.

Simon,

I'm alittle lost here - I understand that Spotify does work (I know you found a bug with the volume control) - but its been long since fixed.

Have you updated your software? goto system tab and check for updates (and install).

If you find there still is a problem then please describe and I'll have MA investigate.

The earlier link is for the Full Spotify Connect plug-in, not the Spotify software installed when shipped.

John, the (software) volume control hasn't been fixed completely - it still randomly jumps to maximum. I've submitted (multiple) bug reports, but there's no way for MA to respond. I have a USB to SPDIF adaptor between the streamer and DAC now to use HW Volume.

I have the latest firmware.

Here's a link to the regular (non Spotify connect) plugin, which I guess is what the MiniStreamer uses.

https://volumio.org/forum/volumio-plugins-collection-t6251.html#p30689

Simon.

John, the (software) volume control hasn't been fixed completely - it still randomly jumps to maximum. I've submitted (multiple) bug reports, but there's no way for MA to respond. I have a USB to SPDIF adaptor between the streamer and DAC now to use HW Volume.

I have the latest firmware.

Here's a link to the regular (non Spotify connect) plugin, which I guess is what the MiniStreamer uses.

https://volumio.org/forum/volumio-plugins-collection-t6251.html#p30689

Simon.

Simon,

Sorry I thought this had been resolved - I've forwarded the Info to MA and will insure he follows it up.

Hallo John

You are approaching the completion of the electrical parts. You also know which add-ons should be offered for which product.

Maybe it's time to publish a list of options. A time series is also necessary.
e.g.
* What are the expansion levels for the MDAC2?
* Who is interested in which level of the MDAC2?
* Who wants an MDAC2 and then updates the FDAC?
* Which expansion levels are available for the FDAC?
* Who is interested in which FDAC expansion level?

For example, I skip the MDAC2 and wait for a FDAC that has all "my" desired options already integrated. Including the wider LCD Panel ;-)
Today we as well as you simply only guess in many matters (Related to quantities).

In order to understand the basic structure and the expansion stages, I would like to have a basic description of your ideas, realization and their mutual dependencies.
I know copyright and so on.... Perhaps you can describe this in a way that is generally understandable and that no trade secrets will be revealed.

Fred,

Sorry to answer your question requires a longer, complex post - I'm really struggling with time ATM, but will reply to you when time allows...

Sorry I thought this had been resolved - I've forwarded the Info to MA and will insure he follows it up.

Thanks John. I'd like to install the squeezelite or even the LMS plug-in. What are the SSH login details?

Simon.

Inbuilt cd drive could balance it.

I've been looking at a 50mm high chassis from China (we would CNC the front / rear panel)... I doubt there would be space for a CD slot, Volume Knob, 7W multi-function switch, IR Eye, 4W Balanced headphone, 6.3mm Headphone Jack, headphone select button + LED, Standby LED etc....

However, I will give it a try....

Fred,

In Answer to some of your Questions:-

1. MDAC2 Basic - no streamer function, Basic referenced Clock (does not support external Clock locking I/O, or external I2S for ADC / DSP / Master slave operation), ASRC operation with SPDIF inputs.

2. MDAC2 Advanced Clock Option 1, Adds TCXO referenced Clock enabling the external Clock I/O and I2S ports, Internal Detox modes and also adds Streamer with internal M.3 SSD option, ASRC Free (Bit Accurate) SPDIF operation.

3. MDAC2 Advanced Clock Option 2, as option 1 but adds Oven compensated Clock oscillator with automatic clock error compensation and ultra low Clock drift (Absolute clock error indicated on screen in PPB) - clock drift reduced to PPB (Parts Per Billion). MDAC2 can act as an ultra low phase noise Clock Master source of any frequency from LF to 100MHz+ Can also lock to any input frequency from LF to 100MHz+ (allows locking to Studio reference clock, Video Clock, I2S clock, DSP clocks etc).

4. MDAC2 Tube, as option 2 but adds Tube, user can select operation mode anywhere from 100% Solidstate to 100% Tube operation via front panel slider on touch display.

FDAC (based on MDAC2 option 3 or 4 PCBs ONLY) - Full Width case:-

1. Internal HQ PSU, Buffered / Non Buffered Headphone Output

2. As above + ADC + Phono stage

3. Internal Rubidium Atomic Clock source with automatic clock error compensation

Options for both MDAC2/FDAC:-

Various modulator options (user swapable) - advanced FPGA versions released over time.

HDCD PMD200

Vishay Bulk foil resistors

Please dont ask for pricing... I will not know until ALL the sections are completed and confirmed with Prototype orders.

Not sure where the MDAC 2 valve option came from - or where it fits - but that seems a lot of options for a small production run.

Steve,

As only one PCB variation is planned for MDAC2 / FDAC the PCB design must support all options.

It might be the case that the MDAC2 casework might not be able to cope with the Tube heat dissipation, so while the Tube option might be available in the MDAC2 chassis it cannot be enabled until the PCB is installed into the FDAC chassis due to the heat dissipation. Also - I have grave concerns over the PSU requirements, with the standard MDAC AC Adapter might not being able to supply the higher current requirements of the more advance clock option 2 and Tube. I need to have all the sections operating together to measure the real power requirements. However, there is nothing to stop the owner purchasing the full FDAC spec. PCB using in the MDAC chassis with advanced power hungry features disabled until the FDAC chassis is available with its higher power internal PSU... The timeline is vague WRT the FDAC chassis....

I should add, that while there is much much more folded into the MDAC chassis - the design is far more power efficient - I hope that this increased power efficiency will go someway to facilitating the power requirements of the advanced options.

Even the MDAC2 Basic will be a step change over the MDAC - one that is only multiplied with the more advanced options.

With regard to the various build options, its a matter of the same PCB spending more or less time on the SMD machine - these boards are effectively hand manufactured by myself - it makes little difference as to the build level... I don't need to train others to build them - I understand the design and I just need to run a version specific program on the SMT machine for each PCB - its just a different click on the SMD Machines file folder....

In hindsight, investing in the inhouse SMD production is the only way that this small scale run of 100 to 200 pcs with a few build skews could ever practically / affordably happen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back