advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The FDAC will be rather more complex and based on a Current source / shunt arrangement - I'm not sure about the FDACLite yet, but its will be based on the Superior, I'm not sure at this moment how much regulator voltage headroom we will need... give me a couple of days... Anyway we are still hoping to see you soon??? :)

BTW, if you where to drive then most of your Journey would be highways (with plenty of road works) - only the last 2km off the highway exit... if you have GPS, then its a very easy journey... (I really suggest driving at night to avoid idiots and delays though the road works).

We once drove from home to the Czech boarder in a little over a couple of hours... it was late at night and completely empty highways...

We are 15km outside of Olomouc (60km from Brno) - it be great to meet you :) but Google says your 340km away :( (a 3.30 hour drive)

Looking at the map. and your only just over the boarder.... we are on the otherside of the country :( But your more then welcome to visit, and you can stay if your alone (only a single "bed" above the lab).

Thank you for the offer! If you lived in the neighbourhood then i would surely visit you. It's to far for me to drive , with most czech roads we cannot drive so fast, a 3.30 hour drive would take me even longer :)

Some things you have to share. I've had the good fortune to see many of my favourite artists perform live. It's a huge regret that I never saw; Free, The Faces and Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac. (I still hope to see the Steve Miller Band.) To the point; this evening I opened up Tidal and decided I fancied some Fleetwood Mac, and there was a "new" live album called Black Magic Woman Live. I was expecting a very dodgy bootleg SQ but in fact its really good. And the music? It's absolutely bloody fantastic. Do yourself for a favour. Get it, put it on and CRANK IT UP ������

Very interesting. A quick search and it seems Black Magic Woman (Live) came out in 2014 and is only available as a download on Amazon and iTunes, but no physical format. Burning Girl Releases record label doesn't have a web site and seems to produce TV theme and tribute band stuff :confused::eek:. There also is a much older album "Black Magic Woman" compilation to confuse matters. Maybe this has been culled from "Live In Boston" 1970 - if you manage to find out any more please share? Fleetwood Mac Live Boston Tea Party is worth a look on YouTube with some tracks having B&W original live footage.

Do you know how many are they short by (as I might have a few) ? Anyway it does not matter too much as I'll be working on the Detox production paperwork for the next few days :(

Is there any chance of a progress update?

Are FDAC prototypes still to be produced this month?

Will full FDAC production commence in September or even this year?

The Superior board looks interesting, at least from the perspective of the buyer of my MDAC L3.

Apologies for not having checked into this thread daily.

It does seem as though we are chasing rainbows, tbh, atm.

😊

Anyway we are still hoping to see you soon??? :)

Well, it's looking good at the moment. The earliest I could start would be Wednesday evening, so I would arrive around 4 AM on Thursday.

What does your schedule say for the next two weeks?

Just tried to sign up for Detox using the westlakeaudio page and was told "This transaction is invalid. Please return to the recipient's website to complete your transaction using their regular checkout flow."

Any ideas?

I have a 8200CDQ which I use as DAC + Preampli.

Can the FDAC L2 do the same as the 8200CDQ DAC Preampli ?.

The only difference from FDAC L2 and FDAC L3 is the ADC ?.

The FDAC project is still open to new joiners, right ?.

Is there any chance of a progress update?

Are FDAC prototypes still to be produced this month?

Will full FDAC production commence in September or even this year?

The Superior board looks interesting, at least from the perspective of the buyer of my MDAC L3.

Apologies for not having checked into this thread daily.

It does seem as though we are chasing rainbows, tbh, atm.

A “Sonic” evaluation for the FDAC called the “Superior PCB” has been designed and built into an MDAC – we will listen to this sometime this week. The purpose of this PCB is to fine tune the FDAC analogue stage before we go to final design release.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/Superoir Basic Vishay.JPG

With aid of the “Superior PCB” we will also optimize the optional Vishay Z-Foil FDAC Resistor package – we get many requests for pricing and more information on this option.

Superior PCB fitted to the MDAC:-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/Super MDAC std.JPG

We also have developed a small XMOS based DAC PCB to gain us working experience with the XMOS (USB 2.0 Audio) environment and drivers etc.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/XMOS DAC A01.jpg

And we have just issued a PCB update of the design:-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/XMOS DAC S A02.jpg

Am also under pressure from China for Detox production information, so over the next few days I’m releasing full production support documentation – such “paperwork” is very time consuming – I also updated the Detox PCB with a couple of small design updates based upon feedback from the latest build and China :-

Detox PCB Revision V1.1

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/DeTox PCB V1.1.jpg

Hopefully this is the last PCB update for Detox.

Once the Detox production documentation has been completed with the next couple of days, I’ll design a small Clock PCB that can be retrofitted to the MDAC to confirm the performance and stability of the FDAC’s advanced clock design.

The next two development stages for the FDAC currently in the works is testing of the ADC section on the analogue PCB, and Jarek is developing the iMX6 daughter PCB for the digital section (the iMX6 is the ARM A9 processor core that drive the front panel GUI and network / streamer support etc).

In October I plan to visit China for Detox production and return with the FDAC prototype chassis parts.

Just tried to sign up for Detox using the westlakeaudio page and was told "This transaction is invalid. Please return to the recipient's website to complete your transaction using their regular checkout flow."

Any ideas?

Sorry to hear about you issue.

We just checked and the link works OK - Renata has just purchased a Detox :)

http://mdac2.lakewestaudio.com/

Maybe try with a different browser or device.

I have a 8200CDQ which I use as DAC + Preampli.

Can the FDAC L2 do the same as the 8200CDQ DAC Preampli ?.

The only difference from FDAC L2 and FDAC L3 is the ADC ?.

The FDAC project is still open to new joiners, right ?.

Stephen,

For Analogue inputs, you need the FDAC L3 or L3 MM/MC (with internal Phono stage). The FDAC L3 supports 2 pairs of analogue inputs (not x3 as on the CDQ) - but they are Balanced inputs which can be wired to RCA's and offer higher quality and allows you to digitize your Analogue sources. In Analogue input "pre-amplifier mode" the ADC operates at 256 DSD internally or 768KHz PCM so you have a VERY high quality signal path.

Next week we will start the design of the ADC section itself - a small PCB will be released for testing and sonic evaluation of the ADC section within the next couple of weeks.

I'm putting a production cap of 200 FDAC's but we have 4 people wanting to transferee there "ownership" so we effectively have 4 places available, so your welcome to join :)

Well, it's looking good at the moment. The earliest I could start would be Wednesday evening, so I would arrive around 4 AM on Thursday.

What does your schedule say for the next two weeks?

I'm here anytime over the next two weeks (my only "plan" is to work), the later you leave it the more we will have ready upon your arrival :), we also will have the second spin of the little Dual ESS Based DAC PCB (we designed to test the XMOS environment etc) we can listen too :)

I'd like to build a second Superior PCB for your unit so we can directly compare between the standard and "Fusioned" Superior versions - it will take say 4-5 hours to install in your own MDAC chassis (while your here) :)

Just let me know how that fits in with your timeline, I guess you will be here for 2-3 days :) As with Ian's recent trip, I look forward to the listening sessions of these various designs (as I so rarely have time to sit down and listen) :) (and obvously to meet you :) )

Does this mean that we've already reached 200 pcs?

I believe so, TBH, I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but basically I don't want to increase the production number, but just replace those positions for those who wish to pull out.

I realise that the FDAC production will be a "one time deal" as its too complex to manufacture without my oversight which I don't mind doing for our PFM "orders" but its not sustainable for repeat production. Its also would be too expensive if sold with normal "margins" so the 200 or so Pcs. will be very rare and unique beasts :)

I'm still considering this.
IIRC there was talk of miniDSP integration.
is that still on the table?

Cheers,
Johan

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back