advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
...well it won't be a Streaming device, at least it will be limited by a WiFi module to some functions of streaming; however there are more than enough distractions already so hopefully it won't do everything :-D

£ 590 delivered plus VAT/import duty so around £ 750 thats some expensive case.

Especially as most people will only see the front panel - nice though.

s-l1600.jpg

Needs to be black though.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I assume the FDAC will essentially function as an "all-in-one" device with built in storage for music files and with cd rip to ssd.

....am I going to be able to plug this into my TV and and browse my music collection, FDAC menus etc

Well, it all depends on the software. But it shouldn't be that hard to enable local music playback..

Is the FDAC really going to enable browsing of music collection via a TV screen ?.

This implies having a snazzy GUI like iTunes / JRiver / Audirvana / etc....

I can imagine a basic interface that allows browsing of files….

I wouldn't worry about basic functions. Since the FDAC (L3) will allow to record audio onto local storage (like an USB flashdrive), there will at least some sort of basic audio player.

Now the advance stuff is another kind of beast. The hardware allows for all kinds of things, just imagine what you can do with a Raspberry Pi. Just don't expect John to implement all kind of weird stuff for you. For me, that's where the community comes in. To give one example: A while ago, we talked about the possibility of video playback.

I expect the FDAC to ship with very basic software, with later releases by John and his team enabling all the items from the FDAC feature list and maybe more. But I also expect to see some very cool stuff (software, how to's/guides, ...) from other users on this thread.

Michael

I wouldn't worry about basic functions. Since the FDAC (L3) will allow to record audio onto local storage (like an USB flashdrive), there will at least some sort of basic audio player.

Now the advance stuff is another kind of beast. The hardware allows for all kinds of things, just imagine what you can do with a Raspberry Pi. Just don't expect John to implement all kind of weird stuff for you. For me, that's where the community comes in. To give one example: A while ago, we talked about the possibility of video playback.

I expect the FDAC to ship with very basic software, with later releases by John and his team enabling all the items from the FDAC feature list and maybe more. But I also expect to see some very cool stuff (software, how to's/guides, ...) from other users on this thread.

Michael

The basic functions as you describe is what I would expect.

Sure you can do loads of things with a well designed hardware platform, but the software is always another ball game……

Personally; the best sound quality is why I bought in. Any fancy user features further down the road would be a great bonus, but by no means essential.

Enjoy your trip to Czech.

It is a shame this, but i think its growing on me. Just a little. I would think id prefer a non recessed body however.

Hopefully the body finish is of high enough quality that it sort of hides this.

I reckon if it doesn't have any distinguishing features, like recess, will just look like a boring Modu case ;-)

Is the FDAC really going to enable browsing of music collection via a TV screen ?.

This implies having a snazzy GUI like iTunes / JRiver / Audirvana / etc....

I can imagine a basic interface that allows browsing of files….

Don't understand why you would want to browse your music on a TV screen with a remote. Most AV receivers can do that and the user experience is awfull.

You get a much better user experience using a tablet, phone or a laptop.
That is why every streaming system worth considering is doing that.

The FDAC will be able to work as a Roon endpoint or squeezebox without much work from Johns team, so might be included in the initial software.

The hardware will be able to run LMS (the server for Squeezebox) as well so you can have a all in one box (which is an obsession to some)

Personally I will run a separate server for Roon / LMS as I am not willing to compromise on responsiveness. But I guess most would be ok with LMS on the FDAC.

Don't know exactly when and how (official/unofficial), but I would like to release an initramfs-based (stateless) userspace for the FDAC, mounting squashfs images via unionfs or something similar.
This would allow the official "image" to be updated while allowing you to easily keep "patches" on top of it, without conflicts. One would then be able to have multiple of these active at a time, each providing a different community-provided functionality piece.
Kind of like Slax has been doing for the last 10-15 years.

We'll see how much dependencies the software pieces of FDAC will have, .. hopefully, I'll be able to build all using Buildroot and keep it in RAM at all times.

Yeah LMS on a NAS for me, and no way do I want to have to have the TV on for anything. Might be nice to have a YouTube player that doesn't require the telly too.

I hate the effect having a screen turned on does to a room with conversation.

Don't know exactly when and how (official/unofficial), but I would like to release an initramfs-based (stateless) userspace for the FDAC, mounting squashfs images via unionfs or something similar.
This would allow the official "image" to be updated while allowing you to easily keep "patches" on top of it, without conflicts. One would then be able to have multiple of these active at a time, each providing a different community-provided functionality piece.
Kind of like Slax has been doing for the last 10-15 years.

We'll see how much dependencies the software pieces of FDAC will have, .. hopefully, I'll be able to build all using Buildroot and keep it in RAM at all times.

Jirij
I tried putting that into Google translate but it couldn't help 😁

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back