(CAR-230) - 680R 0.4W Charcroft Z-Foil Resistor Quantity 4 £38.40

(CAR-090) - 47R 0.4W Charcroft Z-Foil Resistor Quantity 4 £46.42

(CAR-260) - 1K2 0.4W Charcroft Z-Foil Resistor Quantity 4 £38.40

Total with 10% discount:- £110.90

Or ThinFilm MELF's that are basically for free - but I'd still recommend the:-

(CAR-230) - 680R 0.4W Charcroft Z-Foil Resistor Quantity 4 £38.40

at the VERY least...

John,

we have been talking on phone on using a salvaged MDAC with some SQ modification as alternative for your 8200CDQ I was interested in. Am I right that the superior modification is more than we talked about?

Yes, the Rats nested "basic" superior modification (using the standard 8200CDQ output stage) can be applied to the CD/CDQ, but since we spoke I've gone one step further and designed a whole new PCB that replaced the MDAC's entire analogue stage...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/MDAC Superior Update A02b.jpg

I just issued the PCB files today - they should be here early next week (x4 pcs).

And also am I right that it does not really make sense to modify a MDAC "superior" for me because I own no Calex PSU?

No, the Superior upgrade can be applied to the MDAC without the addition of the Calex PSU's - its just that the system that we listened to with Ian sounded stunning with Detox, partial superior modifications and 3x Calex PSU's...

Some time in the future we will release a full "user upgradable" PSU for the MDAC, so you can upgrade any MDAC version once its available.

Still would be very very interested to get a high quality source for my Office soon. Afterwards the living room can stress-free wait for the FDAC :) BTW Speaker and amplifier problem for the Office System is solved.

MDAC "superior" a great place to start :) - you also have the option of fitting various Vishay Bulk foil resistors - prices above (extra). Most of these resistors can be transferred to your FDAC once is ready.

Oh yes, I forgot to check the "Show VAT" option. That should explain the higher prices. I need to think about this.

With "transfer to FDAC" we're talking about a cheap resistor replacement, so the MDAC stays functional, right?

Does it make sense to order a full package, which would allow you to test the impact of the three different packages? Maybe the results are even viable for the FDAC.

John,

thank you for clarification.
Issue of the PCB and talking about a "spare" PCB was the reason for my question, so if there is a chance I would be glad to order a "superior" modification with the reduced cost option.

Oh yes, I forgot to check the "Show VAT" option. That should explain the higher prices. I need to think about this.

Yes, completely understand! :)

With "transfer to FDAC" we're talking about a cheap resistor replacement, so the MDAC stays functional, right?

Yes, we can replace the Bulk foils with MELF's to keep the superior operational :) and you would still have the x4 680R in the most critical position :) !

Does it make sense to order a full package, which would allow you to test the impact of the three different packages? Maybe the results are even viable for the FDAC.

Yes, its 100% relevant to the FDAC, as these resistor locations are the same on the FDAC design (Apart from the 680R's, the rest of these resistors are used in the MOSFET output stage design which is common to the FDAC / Superior) - but the FDAC operates at higher ClassA standing current as it has larger heatsinking area + PSU. This is why we will be able to transfer most of the resistors to your FDAC.

John,

thank you for clarification.
Issue of the PCB and talking about a "spare" PCB was the reason for my question, so if there is a chance I would be glad to order a "superior" modification with the reduced cost option.

OK, so one board remaining from the first batch :)

Great - all boards gone before I've even seen the PCB's :) !

I wonder how they are going to sound!

From my point of view that's up to John.
If it's easier for him we can order ourselves and send the resistors to him, otherwise we can transfere the money to him (if he already has to order similar resistors for his use)
Whatever causes John less work, he already is busy enough

Yes, much easier for me if you order directly from Nick, and he will ship to me directly - I'll ask Nick for a "package" part number for the full and reduce cost options :)

We still have time as the PCB's have only been ordered today, and I'm sure the GBP will drop lower towards the end of the week... :(

Sadly not :( 4 pcs! We are keeping one for internal engineering - but we might have them built externally and try the Czech SMD vendor I met a few weeks ago - or try Jareks home built SMD reflow oven!

I'm lost (again). Where the hell did all these fancy resistors come from? Is this for Superior or is there also going to be (someone please say no) a superior FDAC???

Is this for Superior ...

Yes

... or is there also going to be (someone please say no) a superior FDAC???

No, not quite.

The "Optional Vishay Bulk Foil Resistors upgrade in critical positions" (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/FDAC Versions 03c.jpg #14) has always been part of the FDAC feature list. The fact that the Superior upgrade shares a good portion of the FDAC's analogue output stage circuitry allows us to test different resistor upgrade packages in advance.

Yes

No, not quite.

The "Optional Vishay Bulk Foil Resistors upgrade in critical positions" (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/FDAC Versions 03c.jpg #14) has always been part of the FDAC feature list. The fact that the Superior upgrade shares a good portion of the FDAC's analogue output stage circuitry allows us to test different resistor upgrade packages in advance.

Oh, fair enough. Damnit, I hate choices. Especially expensive ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back