advertisement

MDAC First Listen (Part 00101010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently the Detox chassis will be 130mm wide, 20mm High, and as yet unknown depth, but maybe also 130mm Deep.

I guess its still reasonably small, but not tiny like the Uptone ReGen.

I'm trying to keep the size down as for screening purposes I'd like to have it CNC manufactured from a solid lump with individual internal screened compartments for the various circuit stages - but everything depends on the final cost.

The PFM sponsored units will included a Temperature compensated reference clock - not that it matters, but still nice to be perfect!

What colour Sliver or Black? the unit has a few user controls so at least initially (until the preferred settings are found) will be visible.

Currently the Detox chassis will be 130mm wide, 20mm High, and as yet unknown depth, but maybe also 130mm Deep.

I'm trying to keep the size down as for screening purposes I'd like to have it CNC manufactured from a solid lump with individual screened compartments for the various circuit stages - but everything depends on the final cost.

The PFM sponsored units will included a Temperature compensated reference clock - not that it matters, but still nice to be perfect!

What colour Sliver or Black? the unit has a few user controls so at least initially (until the perfect settings are found) will be visible.

Not too bothered about colour since I keep most boxes out of sight, but black is better for me.

I'm trying to keep the size down as for screening purposes I'd like to have it CNC manufactured from a solid lump with individual screened compartments for the various circuit stages - but everything depends on the final cost.

What colour Sliver or Black? the unit has a few user controls so at least initially (until the perfect settings are found) will be visible.

Black box with White labels (if there are any) please.

@John,

"At this time no, our only project in consideration are the following:-
Detox
Limited number of Modified 8200MB's (dependent upon sonic results)
FDAC
VFET "

How come project priorities/schedules seem to change ad hoc without consulting us sponsors?

Thought the MDAC2/FDAC was on top of your schedule, or?

Seems as the FDAC is now no #3 after the DETOX (waste of time in my book) and rebuild of Audiolab's power amps as per your post above John.

In one point of time (i.e. when I joined the MDAC2 project) my firm belief was that a new/improved DAC (PCB) was our main goal.

/Cheers
Lars

Lars,

The list is not in any particular order! However one of the purposes of the Detox project is to establish a working relationship with the factory with an "Easy Project" - learning to walk first with the vendor before running. We will be establishing a small production line for "Lakewest" products and the Detox is much easier to handle then the FDAC.

Also, while any differences will be small, I'm certain the DeTox will be beneficial.

Lars,

The list is not in any particular order! However one of the purposes of the Detox project is to establish a working relationship with the factory with an "Easy Project" - learning to walk first with the vendor before running. We will be establishing a small production line for "Lakewest" products and the Detox is much easier to handle then the FDAC.

Also, while any differences will be small, I'm certain the DeTox will be beneficial.

OKey, Thanks John, even if I disagree on what the DETOX may bring to SQ.

My take is that whatever deficiencies USB has (and there are a few) should be adressed at the source. As you noted when measuring the Regen you could clearly identify the impact on USB traffic to your DAC the PC's workload had. Out of context from this thread (should be in the Regen thread), main concerns with USB is the reliance on the CPU to packet the traffic, whatever the PC's doing in terms of CPU load may impact USB traffic.

USB controllers are not very intelligent compared to eg FireWire/Ethernet/Thunderbolt which are more or less independent of the CPU. This is one of the reasons it would be nice to have an alternative/option on the FDAC with an I2S port, maybe PIN-configurable.

I'm trying to keep the size down as for screening purposes I'd like to have it CNC manufactured from a solid lump with individual internal screened compartments for the various circuit stages - but everything depends on the final cost.

What colour Sliver or Black? the unit has a few user controls so at least initially (until the preferred settings are found) will be visible.

I think I'm now a silver convert, but a small unit like this could be hidden!

I have a very slight preference for silver (it sounds better, as we know :) ), but would also be happy if the majority goes with black.

I don't care about the colour, as long as it's black.

And as timola below, I would prefer to wait until my unit is entirely finished & ship it one time then.

@ timola: what's larger 'chunks..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back