advertisement

MDAC First Listen (Part 00101010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
John,

The other day I was talking to Christian Peters, CEO of MUTEC, about his upcoming 10 MHz Reference Clock Ref10.

According to him, there is always some sort of sample rate conversion process involved when a DAC synchronizes itself to an external clock. Could you elaborate how the FusionDAC locks to external clock sources? Is the same technique used for the master-slave sync? Do you think the FDAC clock performance could be improved with an external clock? Are there additional benefits in synchronizing all members of a master-slave setup to an external clock?

Michael

Michael,

Its kind of worrying when an "industry expert" makes such a claim.

Don't forget the FDAC does not lock to an external clock source with Async USB as it IS the clock master - with SPDIF FDAC uses a Digital controlled Voltage control oscillator to track the input clock rate - The digital Phase detector / Digital loop filter allowing very low corner frequency and combined with a short memory buffer to achieve very high jitter rejection even at LF.

The slaves are synchronised to the Master FDAC Clock - they must be as the Master FDAC is the Async USB / SPDIF receiver.

The only advantage of locking the Master FDAC to a "reference Master clock" is to remove long term frequency variance - but for long term accuracy I suggest a GPS referenced clock which can be built for about GBP200...

Its kind of worrying when an "industry expert" makes such a claim.

Well, to be fair, there's always the possibility that I misrepresented his explanations.

The only advantage of locking the Master FDAC to a "reference Master clock" is to remove long term frequency variance - but for long term accuracy I suggest a GPS referenced clock which can be built for about GBP200...

I think this is what I had in mind. Is there a simple way to explain the method used by the FDAC internal clock to synchronize to an external 10 MHz source?

Slaves must be synchronized to the master - got it! :)

Slaves must be synchronized to the master - got it! :)

Yes Slaves obey your Master! :eek: :cool:

Is there a simple way to explain the method used by the FDAC internal clock to synchronize to an external 10 MHz source

Basically something like this:-

The 10MHz clock is divided down to say 1MHz (this becomes the reference frequency).

The Dac's Master clock is also divided down to 1MHz - and is constantly adjusted by the Digitally Controlled clock circuit to make sure there is no long term Frequency error between the Reference "1MHz" and the DAC "1MHz" clock.

Ok, that was simple enough :D

I'll check out the Mutec clock when a demo unit becomes available. Still curious about this stuff ;)

They are Chinese manufactured Acoustat's :)

They are really well made - I have no idea how they sound yet but an ESL panel is an ESL panel :)

The sub-woofers weigh over 40kg each, I'm pretty impressed and I wonder who designed them!

Nice to se those stats came up from the basement. Hope I Can hear Them one day ( damm auto iPad Spell Thing )

:p You should have seen me trying to carry them up to the lab - I can say I'm much weaker then I used to be!

I worry somewhat about the weight of the VFET amps - I'll have to work with them on the lab bench!

Anyway, next items from the basement will be the 8200MB's... much easer to handle!

Hopefully next time your here in Czech you can have a listen, and maybe a VFET prototype will be ready "soon" :)

:p You should have seen me trying to carry them up to the lab - I can say I'm much weaker then I used to be!
Few more of these and you'll have a complete stonehenge. :)
(And be able to explain how you managed to transport the obelisks .. I mean, speakers.)

The sub-woofers weigh over 40kg each, I'm pretty impressed and I wonder who designed them!

Lucky you went for the solid oak floor joists then..:)

Lab looking good, nice to have all those reflections off the glass.

Can you see the mayors house from up there ? :eek:

Haha very nice and looks like we can see Mr John in ripped jeans(!!) per reflection :)

Nice place to have a Stereo ...wish we had no neighbours, unfortunately for me above and side! ;-)

Can you see the mayors house from up there ? :eek:

Thankfully no just open fields - talking about our dear lovely Mayoress, we just received a later today that shes suing us (and the local police authority) as we have a peaceful state order allowing us to use our Drive - which has been inuse since 1920's...

You can bet it will be going through the courts for the next 5 years - what a waste of time and money.... Our lawyer seems confidant we will win, (fingers crossed) but I can ill afford to spare the time...

Mr John, after listening to some diPolar speakers (akin to ESL) last month at my Colleague I so understand why you advocate ESL now!

It's a bit frustrating, I thought my speakers were very good (Monitor Audio PL200) and they are good when it comes to detail and bass, however the IMAGE just does NOT compare!!! ...his Image was as wide and as high as the room, whilst in contrast my Image just seems 2-Dimensional compared (lol I have even tried moving my speakers around and pointing even at the front walls, but to no avail) :-(

All I can hope is that our FDACs will bring out a bit more Image than what I currently have feeding my Amplifiers...OPPO BDP-105D (has Sabre DAC) and Tag McLaren AV32RDP, both of which sound about the same in Stereo pitted against each other.

I am still searching for my next Amplifiers also - a bit disillusioned with HYPEX after someone leaked the OEM price for their new nc500 at 89 Euro per amplifier board, whilst ATSAH are hocking these at £1700 per pair and worse yet, BEL CANTO at £5000!!!!

HiFi Industry, in general, is as described by someone there as "Veblen Goods" ...at least we know you are honest person charging £3500 for a fully custom made, quality Masterpiece, such as your VFET

I just wish the World was a fairer place with not everybody out just to grab as much as they can...I tried to buy as much as possible new this season, but it just makes me want to buy all my stuff on the Used Market again.

Keep up the good work

Paul

Not the right place, but imaging is just that, imaging. One of the results of pos-production audio. Interesting, but not needed to listen to music, not needed for faithfull sound reproduction.
I would never trade Monitor Audio's like yours for any bassless panel speaker.
:D

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back