advertisement

MDAC First Listen (Part 00101010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Paul,

It the moment the are no plans to add a HDD option, the FDAC is a Slave USB device rather then a USB Host (Master).

The FDAC does have a couple of rear expansion slots (one for the RF link, the second for the planned HDMI interface), so it might be possible in the future to add a "streamer" type card.

Thanks John

Have just joined the DETOX Club!

Not sure I will need it, but never know what the future holds... :)

Paul

Hi JohnW,

Which type of speakers connectors are you thinking for the vfets?
Will make new shorter cables for the amps/speakers and thinking on the terminators for the amp side.

Can't wait! :)

The signal degradation from 10m of 3.3mm Balanced cable makes me feel uncomfortable :(

But far batter then 10m of 3.3mm speaker cable!

10 meter of balanced signal cable is nothing in the world of professional audio. They use far longer cables in many applications. This is how balanced in- and outputs where born. You don't want to know how many km of cable a recording studio has... :)
Don't be fooled about the outer 3,3mm diameter. It's what's inside the cable and their specs that counts.

I know someone who does wiring for recording studios in France and Switzerland. He uses cables made by Gotham in Switzerland . He says that long before the sound has reached whatever medium you are playing from, it will have travelled through many meters of cable made by people like the company above, so that the last few meters of cable in your system, as long as it is at least similar quality and XLR/balanced, will not degrade the signal at all. He makes up balanced cables for me using this stuff http://www.gotham.ch/en/index.php?section=docsys&cmd=451_details&id=37, Neutrik metal connectors and all soldered with Mundorf silver/gold solder. A pair of say three meter balanced XLR interconnects will cost around €80. Any good cable guy would be able to make something similar. Sommer in Germany makes very similar quality cables but cloth covered and I have some XLR interconnects made using that cable as well, as they are a bit more flexible than the Gotham ones. Again not stupidly expensive at all, at around £50 for a 1.5M pair with Neutrik plugs. I think folk who buy cables costing thousands of pounds made of unobtanium, rubbed with snake oil by virgins under a new moon on the slopes of Mount Fuji, are deluded.

For speaker cables I use these http://www.rivercable.com/spx.asp. I order them in the USA and get them sent to my daughter in Baltimore, as the European agent loads the prices by around 200%. I had a lot of issues with cables on my ATC SCM-19 speakers in the UK, playing from a Krell KAV-300iL amplifier and brought back a pair of these from my French house , where they had been supplied with the Klipschorn speakers I had there (since replaced with ATC SCM -40 Mk2s). They cured the harshness problem with the ATC's. Again not too expensive and beautifully made with the excellent Nakamichi locking banana plugs.

I know someone who does wiring for recording studios in France and Switzerland. He uses cables made by Gotham in Switzerland .

I had a quick look but the Sommer cable has far less resistance than the Gotham cable (mini version). The outer diameter of the Sommer cable is a bit thinner as well.
Which one is you friend using?

Which one is you friend using?

Forget that question, I just noticed you already mentioned it in your initial post :)
But I still would use a thinner cable because it's easier to hide.

I think folk who buy cables costing thousands of pounds made of unobtanium, rubbed with snake oil by virgins under a new moon on the slopes of Mount Fuji, are deluded.

Couldn't agree with you more. The hifi world is filled with people / manufactures who are inventing 'great' stories that have nothing to do with the reality.

Is this in your opinion only from LCR charicteristic differences ?

While LCR is part of the equation, its the de-electric and physical construction of the cables that's more important IMO.

Cables with PTFE & Air construction are a good start.

Purest Copper conductors are a safe bet, Silver has the tendency to add brightness to the sound, I've no idea why - but which may or may not be helpful.

The Nordost Flatline was very good speaker cable - I've never really had a "Favourite" interconnect, instead constructing my own from decent quality PTFE coax cable I use in the lab, but these-days I need balance cables.

Richard,

"Highlights:

Starts at only $250/pair"

I fail to see how any cable can cost US$250 per meter! When you look at the time, cost and effort it takes for me to develop even a simple product like the Detox, how can cable company's get away with charging so much :(

I don't really understand the cables construction - but when I see spiral construction that's not a good sign.

IMO, so many people have jumped on the "cable" bandwagon to make easy money!

I've heard many good things about Mark Grant cables - but have no direct experience.

As John mentions it is well known that PTFE is a better dielectric than PE. The cost difference is negligible compared to the price of most cables, and yet you see cable manufacturers including in their range cables with both types of insulation. There is only ONE reason for this; it's an excuse to charge more for the PTFE one. Do these people think we are stupid?
If anyone has found a reasonably priced balanced cable that uses PTFE then please post details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back